Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Help identifying things on PS3 40GB motherboard?

Sponsored Links
    Here is a link to great pictures of what I'm talking about: ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow-Light-of-Death-Repair/3654/6

Scroll down to "Step 43" and you'll see 2 rows of small square items outlined in light orange as well as 2 large square items outlined in dark orange/red.

The 2nd row from the bottom is what I'm interested in. Any idea what those are? This particular row makes no contact with anything other than the motherboard. No type of heatsink at all and I'm wondering why.

Here are some closer & clearer pictures of a 40GB PS3 CECHH01: killerbug.net/PS3_MB_MODS.html

This link mentions that the bottom row of items are "memory" and (in the pictures in the 1st link) the topmost large square is the NorthBridge chip.

Funny thing here is that I was considering putting these type of heat sinks on the unidentified items I'm asking about, so maybe I don't need to worry so much about them. But I still want to know what they are and, since they are included in items that need thermal pads then why aren't they touched by anything like the Northbridge chip, memory chips, RSX, & Cell?

Reason I'm asking is tomorrow I'll be reflowing my 40GB, & doing all the usual things to repair a YLOD situation. While I'm right there I'd like to do everything I can... like stick a heatsink on these 4 unidentified items

Finally found a high resolution & magnifiable picture of my mobo. Click to magnify & the print is legible on those things I was asking about. The picture shows the two square items above the RSX/GPU as "R30W (on top & same as mine) & 7716J (underneath, but mine say "7538J"). The other two above the CPU show "R33" (on top & same as mine) and "727S" (underneath, but mine say "728S")

One new, & last, question. Any idea how I can remove the battery? It looks like a giant watch battery (flat & circular). Do I just force it? It's on the right hand side of the mobo in the picture linked above.
    Last edited by SauceyWombat; 09-08-2012 at 01:02 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Best Answer - Posted by windrider42:

I don't know. Aren't they thermal pads for the memory.

As for the battery, don't force it. Just with a little flat screwdriver or something small, you will sort of lift in one corner to remove. Just like the batteries in a pc. Just take a close look. It should then pop out.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't know. Aren't they thermal pads for the memory.

As for the battery, don't force it. Just with a little flat screwdriver or something small, you will sort of lift in one corner to remove. Just like the batteries in a pc. Just take a close look. It should then pop out.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    How did the reflow go. I was wondering cause sometimes it is better to use flux under them to help with it. But just let us know how it went. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News