Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Results 1 to 7 of 7



  1. #1
    Registered User mrmiller24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    132
    Sponsored Links

    Question [Answered] HDMI to VGA adapter?

    Sponsored Links
    hey guys

    ive been looking at an adapter for my ps3 so i can use the HDMI output to pla through a VGA monitor

    there are many different adapters to try and cause they are all 50-100 i was wondering if anyone already uses such an adapter and which one is the best option

    thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User JeffJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    290
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    go with a respected brand. that way quality loss will be minimal when converting from digital to analogue signal.

  3. #3
    Registered User xLoKi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    HDMI to DVI is much more common and less expensive route and almost all newer models of moniters have a DVI port on them. plus your video quality wouldnt suffer at all since your sticking with a digital signal as opposed to a analog signal (VGA)

  4. #4
    Registered User tommyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by xLoKi View Post
    HDMI to DVI is much more common and less expensive route and almost all newer models of moniters have a DVI port on them. plus your video quality wouldnt suffer at all since your sticking with a digital signal as opposed to a analog signal (VGA)
    I would also recommend going the HDMI to DVI route as you will lose image quality with VGA.

  5. #5
    Registered User taggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmiller24 View Post
    ive been looking at an adapter for my ps3 so i can use the HDMI output to pla through a VGA monitor

    there are many different adapters to try and cause they are all 50-100 i was wondering if anyone already uses such an adapter and which one is the best option
    Could this not be achieved by connecting your existing HDMI cable to a 'HDMI-DVI' adaptor, and then plugging the DVI end into a seperate 'DVI-VGA' adaptor?

    i.e. 3 pieces of equipment
    * 1 x HDMI Cable
    * 1 x HDMI-DVI adaptor
    * 1 x DVI-VGA adaptor

    The cost of the two adaptors should be a lot cheaper than 50-100 pounds...

  6. #6
    Registered User superniceguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    What are you trying to achieve?

    In my experience. If you are trying to attach your PS3 to an LCD monitor that only supports VGA, adapting form HDMI to VGA is possible. However, it will not result in a HD picture.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Transient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by taggis View Post
    Could this not be achieved by connecting your existing HDMI cable to a 'HDMI-DVI' adaptor, and then plugging the DVI end into a seperate 'DVI-VGA' adaptor?

    i.e. 3 pieces of equipment
    * 1 x HDMI Cable
    * 1 x HDMI-DVI adaptor
    * 1 x DVI-VGA adaptor

    The cost of the two adaptors should be a lot cheaper than 50-100 pounds...
    That won't work. HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. The reason you can go from DVI to VGA is because DVI can be both digital and analog (depending on the interface).

    And to answer the original question, I'd suggest buying a new monitor unless the one you have is really expensive. For less than 100 pounds you can get yourself a nice DVI (or even HDMI) capable monitor.

 

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News