Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] HDMI Problems, No Video Output help?

Sponsored Links
    Okay Here´s what I have.... A 80gig EUR Model Phat version PS3. My problem is was playing MW2 then all of a sudden "BLACK SCREEN" on my HDMI Output, Tried to rest video, No Joy. Tried different HDMI Ports, No Joy. Tried different HDMI Cables and Two different TV´s. NO JOY!

Then I Tried analog(SD) I get video but HELL IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP for someone that´s been playing on Hi Def for a long time, if you get What I mean. But the wierd thing is when its hooked up SD On screen´Display tell´s me it "Found a 1080p Output Device" Then it would ask me if I would like to switch to it by "Yes or No".

Selected Yes, Black Screen! Anyone Out there know of a possible Solution or a Fix in my scenario?
    Best Answer - Posted by DeViL303:

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off PlaystationŽ3.
    2. Turn on PS3 but keep Holding The power button down for ages; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
    3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger and wait until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
    4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
    5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
    6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
    7. Select whatever options you want from
    • Restart System:
      • Restarts the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System.
    • Restore Default Settings:
      • Reset all system settings back to default.
    • Restore File System:
      • Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
    • Rebuild Database:
      • Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATIONŽ3.
    • Restore PS3 System:
      • Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
    • System Update:
      • Update the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System

Its also possible your PS3 is on the verge of YLOD as it can cause GPU related problems, If all else fails and you cant get it working try look in your local area for someone who reflows boards to fix YLOD, I got it done once on my launch 60GB and it worked ok after, until it bricked on fimware update 3.21 but thats another sad story!

Final thought, maybe you know someone who does not own a HDTV who would swap PS3s with you!

I doubt soldering a new HDMI conector will help unless you think it has been damaged in anyway, also wouldnt be an easy task! As you were playing MW2 when it died so I would say it could be a heat issue with PS3 hardware.

I think MW2 is a bit of a system killer because it needs so much GPU and CPU power to run due to inefficiant coding etc that PS3 system is pushed to the max,just see how long it can take ingame xmb to come up while playing. I have a friend who only played MW2 since it came out and he is on his second PS3 in 16months,he burned out laser on first one in 11months and replacement is already crashing and acting up on MW2, MW2 was only game he played 90% of time!

That reminds me I must have a go of MW2 now, Anyone still on PSN want to add me for a game or 2? just say you got my tag from ps3news.com and I will accept your friend request. as long as youre not a dirty booster!

PSN I.D: DeViL303

NOTE: As your Ps3 is acting strange I would advise you to do a system backup and maybe deactivate it from your psn account* ,wait and see if it gets fixed or replaced before reactivating.

*Only really nessassary if you have purchased content from PSN store, ie. if your system breaks down completely there is no way of deactivating it and then 1 of your 5 system activations is lost.meaning you are down to 4 PS3s for your purchased Game and Video content.

One more thing you could try is reinstalling the firmware your console is on, Probably 3.41 or 3.50 at this time ! Just put the firmware file you need on a USB stick and reinstall , Can be done from recovery menu if it wont let you reinstall same firmware from XMB but I think it will for newer updates.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I know you said that you tried to reset video, but did you do the following?

1. Turn off PS3 by switch at the back / wall socket - leave for 30 secs or so.
    2. Ensure HDMI cable is plugged in between PS3 & TV and that the TV is turned on, and the correct hdmi input is selected.
    3. Switch the power back on to the PS3
    4. Press and hold the PS3 power on button until you hear two beeps.
    5. The PS3 *should* then appear on the screen and you'll have some prompt to answer (can't remember exactly what it says)

If that doesn't work and you have already tried different cables / tvs (and gone through the above process each time) then you may have a faulty HDMI connector at the ps3 end.

Not sure what you can do about that though - you could try sony support (although they're likely to charge you and you'll probably get it back with firmware 3.50+)

Hope this helps.
    PSPSwampy.

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Not sure if this will help in your case but I got a ps3 before for 50euro with no output on either socket (HD or SD). I thought it was completly broken and only the sound was working, then as a last chance I tried the recovery menu and bingo, it came up, I restored factory defaults, and ps3 is still working fine to this day, I have it on 3.15 and PSgrooved!

You will lose your content doing this but you could do a backup first on your SD screen. I'm not sure because I just went straight to factory defualts and it worked perfect but maybe restoring filesystem or restoring database might help as well, you could try this first as that doesn't delete your stuff.

Firmware is at OFW 3.50 Since I do go online with this ps3. Guarantee is gone since its older than 1 1/2 years, and I do know SONY Charges Bank for their Repair services and I dont think I want to go that route. I'm very handy and confident at repairing things myself, But I just don´t really know where to start off on this one.

*PSPSWAMPY 1.Turn off PS3 by switch at the back / wall socket - leave for 30 secs or so.

This has also been done because I´ve unplugged it to take it to my friends house to test it out on his tv same problem.

2. Ensure HDMI cable is plugged in between PS3 & TV and that the TV is turned on, and the correct hdmi input is selected.

The PS3 Should detect Automatically the HDMI Settings and also Most Newer HD TV´s Detects Automatically the HDMI input settings.

4. Press and hold the PS3 power on button until you hear two beeps.

Done that too. No Joy

*PSPSWAMPY If that doesn't work and you have already tried different cables / tvs (and gone through the above process each time) then you may have a faulty HDMI connector at the ps3 end.

Is there a way to Solder a New HDMI Connector if this is my case?

Thanks for your Help

Where do you go about Restoring the Filesystem or Database?
    Last edited by PiLLeMaNN; 10-22-2010 at 08:10 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hold the power button until it turns of again and then hold the power button again until beeps, and the ps3 will enter the recovery menu.

if my explanaition sucks search ps3 recovery menu and what option to use to rebuild database/files.

Banned User
    How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off PlaystationŽ3.
    2. Turn on PS3 but keep Holding The power button down for ages; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
    3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger and wait until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
    4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
    5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
    6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
    7. Select whatever options you want from
    • Restart System:
      • Restarts the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System.
    • Restore Default Settings:
      • Reset all system settings back to default.
    • Restore File System:
      • Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
    • Rebuild Database:
      • Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATIONŽ3.
    • Restore PS3 System:
      • Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
    • System Update:
      • Update the PLAYSTATIONŽ3 System

Its also possible your PS3 is on the verge of YLOD as it can cause GPU related problems, If all else fails and you cant get it working try look in your local area for someone who reflows boards to fix YLOD, I got it done once on my launch 60GB and it worked ok after, until it bricked on fimware update 3.21 but thats another sad story!

Final thought, maybe you know someone who does not own a HDTV who would swap PS3s with you!

I doubt soldering a new HDMI conector will help unless you think it has been damaged in anyway, also wouldnt be an easy task! As you were playing MW2 when it died so I would say it could be a heat issue with PS3 hardware.

I think MW2 is a bit of a system killer because it needs so much GPU and CPU power to run due to inefficiant coding etc that PS3 system is pushed to the max,just see how long it can take ingame xmb to come up while playing. I have a friend who only played MW2 since it came out and he is on his second PS3 in 16months,he burned out laser on first one in 11months and replacement is already crashing and acting up on MW2, MW2 was only game he played 90% of time!

That reminds me I must have a go of MW2 now, Anyone still on PSN want to add me for a game or 2? just say you got my tag from ps3news.com and I will accept your friend request. as long as youre not a dirty booster!

PSN I.D: DeViL303

NOTE: As your Ps3 is acting strange I would advise you to do a system backup and maybe deactivate it from your psn account* ,wait and see if it gets fixed or replaced before reactivating.

*Only really nessassary if you have purchased content from PSN store, ie. if your system breaks down completely there is no way of deactivating it and then 1 of your 5 system activations is lost.meaning you are down to 4 PS3s for your purchased Game and Video content.

One more thing you could try is reinstalling the firmware your console is on, Probably 3.41 or 3.50 at this time ! Just put the firmware file you need on a USB stick and reinstall , Can be done from recovery menu if it wont let you reinstall same firmware from XMB but I think it will for newer updates.
    Last edited by DeViL303; 10-23-2010 at 01:02 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okay Back home from work.. I´ve Tried every possible Solution/Fix that everyone posted here Still No JOY!... So I´ve come to a conclusion that the boards needs to be Reflowed since I did notice the ps3 fan running on High while playing before the HDMI Cut out on me.

So I Thank everyone here that Posted, even thoe it did not help but it was all worth a try!!! So Thanks EVERYONE!!! +Rep to everyone who posted a possible solution.
    Last edited by PiLLeMaNN; 10-23-2010 at 06:55 PM

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News