Registered User ChaoticInfinity's Avatar

[UnAnswered] HDCP compatible monitor with PS3? (aiming for 1080p)

I'm aiming to get a PS3 (prolly by the end of the month), but wanted to make sure I'd be getting the most out of it. Instead of going all out on a new TV (I only use my crappy 13in for local reception channels), I decided to get an HD compatible monitor instead (multipurpose for my PC and eventually PS3 ). I did a little searchin and found a nice little deal on a 24" Gateway Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor. The maximum resolution is 1920x1200 (which was the main thing I looked for in a monitor), and supports 1:1 video so if i hooked up a PS3, it should be able to support 1080p somewhat clearly. The only thing I'd have to do is get a DVI to HDMI (or vice versa) converter... and hopefully I should be good to go.

This is all something I'm hoping works out, but I guess it's still semi-theorical. Anyway, has anyone else attempted going the monitor route instead of the TV route? Also, if so, did anyone manage to get 1080p supported? Any advice on the matorum20is greatly appreciated.

don't get those computer monitors, they are 16:10 ratio and the picture will be strenched. spead a little more money and get a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37'' 1080p HD MONITOR for both your digital cable and x360 , playstation 3.

Registered User ChaoticInfinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itwong View Post
    don't get those computer monitors, they are 16:10 ratio and the picture will be strenched. spead a little more money and get a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37'' 1080p HD MONITOR for both your digital cable and x360 , playstation 3.
    Don't think u heard me when I said the monitor supports 1:1 aspect ratio display. Actually the DVI settings have 3 modes. The monitor can automatically stretch the picture to fit the screen regardless of the set resolution. 2ndly, it can zoom in so it is as large as possible without effecting the aspect ratio. And as I said earlier, it can also simply display whatever it's connected to at it's actual size and aspect ratio (ie: 1:1, so since it goes as high as 16:10, it can do 16:9 without stretching).

Also, like I said before, I don't have cable TV.. which was why I didn't want to bother with a new TV. I'm not gettin a 360 anytime soon either, I've seen what it can do and while after a year since release it is coming along nicely, I would rather go with the PS3... (unless i get one for free!). The monitor is solely for my PC and (soon to be obtained) PS3.

hey dude i got a samsung LN-S2338W. i dont know much specs but one thing that i do know is that the picture is SUPER clear. it supports up to 1080i. mines is only a 23 inch, and i got it for a good price on ebay. im sure you will be pleased with the value that these line of samsungs will provide. it also has input for computer. evreything about this tv was well thought out (down to the remote), and i give some major kudos to samsung. if you go on ebay you will find some good deals. i got mines for about 450, and the ps3 looks friggin fantastic. the awesome contrast ratio will give really deep blacks, and its one of the few lcd tvs that DONT look funny at an angle. the only problem i can see you having is the resolution may not be high enough, but trust me its pleanty for the ps3. im not sure about the computer. if you decide for lcd monitor, samsung is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticInfinity View Post
    Don't think u heard me when I said the monitor supports 1:1 aspect ratio display. Actually the DVI settings have 3 modes. The monitor can automatically stretch the picture to fit the screen regardless of the set resolution. 2ndly, it can zoom in so it is as large as possible without effecting the aspect ratio. And as I said earlier, it can also simply display whatever it's connected to at it's actual size and aspect ratio (ie: 1:1, so since it goes as high as 16:10, it can do 16:9 without stretching).

Also, like I said before, I don't have cable TV.. which was why I didn't want to bother with a new TV. I'm not gettin a 360 anytime soon either, I've seen what it can do and while after a year since release it is coming along nicely, I would rather go with the PS3... (unless i get one for free!). The monitor is solely for my PC and (soon to be obtained) PS3.
    Do a google search, there's no monitors out there that can do perfect 1:1 pixel mapping on 1080p w/ low response time and HDCP support. If u r down w/ PS3, u probably want to get the most out of it(1080p). If your monitor doesn't support HDCP, no 1080p for you. If no 1:1 mapping on 1080p, your picture will be strenched. And one more thing, high response time will cause ghost effect. There's just no perfect combination of these three factors out there for a LCD monitor.

I have done a lot of research on this subject as well. I have a PS3 and looking to get a HDCP complaint monitor to replace my current non HDCP complaint 20.1 inch Widescreen LCD from ViewSonic. The Gateway does support 1:1 ratio while in 1080P, there are plenty of forums out there with screenshots of the PS3 on action using the 1:1 mapping ratio. It looks great... the Gateway though has some other issues that may prevent you from purchasing it in the long run. None of them are what the previous person has mentioned though and the monitor should meet your needs...

Personally, I would wait for the BenQ to get its 24 inch monitor on the market with its Firmware upgrade, that will allow 1:1 pixel mapping ratio. Until then though, the current ones you buy will stretch the picture...

Now you can use a Westinghouse for your computer as well, use turn on Overscan and all computer games look great on it, there are also many screenshots on other website's forums with the TV in action. Keep in mind the Westinghouse has no tuner, its a monitor, so really don't easily associate it with other TVs just because you don't have cable TV, its a great computer monitor as well just freaking huge!

Needless to say, you have your research cut out for you, and no one person can give you the perfect suggestion for this type of purchase.