Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Hardware Upgrade? Fat PS3 Soundcard to Slim Soundcard

Sponsored Links
    I was wondering if there was a way to separately buy the necessary parts and switch them for the PS3. I'm not sure if there would need to be different firmware (very likely) but this whole concept in general, is there a way to do it? If not with the sound, then is it at least possible to upgrade the original 60GB model that I have with the more energy efficient parts? Thanks.
    Best Answer - Posted by CJPC:

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
    I was wondering if there was a way to separately buy the necessary parts and switch them for the PS3. I'm not sure if there would need to be different firmware (very likely) but this whole concept in general, is there a way to do it? If not with the sound, then is it at least possible to upgrade the original 60GB model that I have with the more energy efficient parts? Thanks.
    You actually would not need a different firmware, the PS3 firmware that is released is inclusive for all models. However, the "rest" of what you want to do is kind of not practical. It may be possible to start swapping things between a 60GB and a slim, but you can bet the pinout's wont match, let alone any nasty security related per-box keying, etc!

It could probably be done at an insanely expensive cost - at that rate, it's just cheaper to buy a slim!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You actually would not need a different firmware, the PS3 firmware that is released is inclusive for all models. However, the "rest" of what you want to do is kind of not practical. It may be possible to start swapping things between a 60GB and a slim, but you can bet the pinout's wont match, let alone any nasty security related per-box keying, etc!

It could probably be done at an insanely expensive cost - at that rate, it's just cheaper to buy a slim!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

Well, if it was at the cost of a slim, I'd maybe do it, because I like my original PS3. I like having 4 USB slots along with a good number of other things. So.. is there anything at all I can upgrade in my PS3 that future models have improved upon? I thought there might be some tech places that do these sorta of things.. The PS3 is so air tight - it's crazy. My friend put together an XBox 360 from spare parts... There must be something I can do..

Well, if it was at the cost of a slim, I'd maybe do it, because I like my original PS3. I like having 4 USB slots along with a good number of other things. So.. is there anything at all I can upgrade in my PS3 that future models have improved upon? I thought there might be some tech places that do these sorta of things.. The PS3 is so air tight - it's crazy. My friend put together an XBox 360 from spare parts... There must be something I can do..
    Well, for more USB ports - you could add a USB hub I suppose (to a slim). You could build a PS3 from 'spare parts', but you need to make sure the drive board and motherboard are from the same unit (as they are tied together)

As for upgrades, I guess you could add in a bigger HDD, improve on the cooling of the PS3 by improving ventilation, or even water cool it. But these systems are really not designed to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, for more USB ports - you could add a USB hub I suppose (to a slim). You could build a PS3 from 'spare parts', but you need to make sure the drive board and motherboard are from the same unit (as they are tied together)

As for upgrades, I guess you could add in a bigger HDD, improve on the cooling of the PS3 by improving ventilation, or even water cool it. But these systems are really not designed to be upgraded.
    Yeah, I have a 300GB HDD and cooling I can improve upon, sure. It's sad though that nothing else can be done. I mean, of course I know they're not meant to be upgraded but I thought it was very possible. I wouldn't want to have two PS3s lying around, one to be able to play PS2 games, and one for whatever else I want. The pros of my current model outweigh the few pros of the Slim so I'm good with having just it.

Maybe if I ask indirectly, is there absolutely any way to get my PS3 to be able to passthrough DTS-HD/TrueHD audio? My receiver seems to process DTS audio better than the same converted to PCM signal. It seems a bit sharper and the surround mechanics work a bit different. Either way, it's different and that bothers me.

ps3 cooling

I bought the cooling system from sony and i can say that it helps to cool the ps3, does this work on slim too?

Maybe if I ask indirectly, is there absolutely any way to get my PS3 to be able to passthrough DTS-HD/TrueHD audio? My receiver seems to process DTS audio better than the same converted to PCM signal. It seems a bit sharper and the surround mechanics work a bit different. Either way, it's different and that bothers me.
    Alas not on an older unit - of course, you can bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD on the Slim (new added feature), but sadly not on the old units.

I'll admit - it is a bit backwards on Sony's part, too many different SKU's, but the slims do offer quite a few positive features, as they are quieter, cooler, use less power, and the whole ability to bitstream advanced codecs.

The disadvantages, of course being lack of OtherOS support, and PS2 playback.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News