Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] Are firmware updates region specific?

Sponsored Links
    When I updated the PS3 with the Australian firmware version 2.7, I noticed that on The PS3 (XMB) under the Security Settings BD/DVD Parental Control Region was set to United States.

Is that the default setting?

Furthermore, as all country firmware updates are located on common servers, when I downloaded FW 2.7 from the Australian Sony site it actually downloaded the US version?

Bearing in mind that currently on the Sony Australian site the update version 2.7 is actually 2.6 (138.7MB).

When I downloaded version 2.7 it was 2.7 (142.4MB).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I am also experiencing a problem similar to this one, perhaps its the reason mine won't update either.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    They are region free. I think one update was for Japan only tho.

This may seem silly, but was your BD/DVD Control settings set to Australia before the update?

From Netsmartparents:
    The Playstation 3 is also a Blu-ray disc player, so you can control which films can be viewed. To get started, select ‘BD/DVD Parental Control Region’, then change United States (the default) to United Kingdom.

Thank you Spike32 and Maxpwer222, I don't recall what region it was set to. But your response indicates that it is set to the US by default.

Sony have responded to an email I sent this morning.

Where I pointed out that the update that is on their website actually downloads version 2.6 and not 2.7

Their response is the version on their website is the latest version available, they also provided me with a link to this version which I have downloaded and it is version 2.6

Here is the link that Sony provided: [Register or Login to view links]

So if your PS3 is already at 2.6 or 2.7 you wont be able to update.

Spike 32 if you are on FW version 2.6, I would'nt update to 2.7 until you have read about version 2.7 and the problems it causes.

Actually I was trying to downgrade since they took out 3rd party support for ps2 to ps3 controllers A week after I bought the damn thing I realize now you need special files to achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by spike32 View Post
    Actually I was trying to downgrade since they took out 3rd party support for ps2 to ps3 controllers A week after I bought the damn thing I realize now you need special files to achieve this.
    I have read a few claims that it is possible to downgrade the firmware but I remain skeptical whether this can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by getcarter View Post
    I have read a few claims that it is possible to downgrade the firmware but I remain skeptical whether this can be done.
    tbh until i know it's safe, I'm not gonna bother trying it.

Banned User
    There is no way to downgrade from current version's of firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    There is no way to downgrade from current version's of firmware.
    Ah thanks for the info. Damn Sony!

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News