Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] A Few Noobie PS3 questions

Sponsored Links
    hey all, this is my first post in the PS3 section since I've been oldschool PS2 up until now and I have A few questions that seem to have gone unanswered everywhere I've went.

I came across this video on youtube a few days ago and something in it caught my attention

at about 3:43 in the video they say you can go online with your PS3, go to add-ons and download BC onto your non-BC PS3. Does this apply to the newer 160GB model? It says in the video it might not work on the 20/40GB model, never mentions 80 or 160.

2nd question isn't strictly PS3 but would be the way I purchase it (most likely than not). I've heard of this site, with a HQ in USA called swoopo and have seen 160GB PS3's SOLD for about $70 in some cases with shipping..... It's a bidding site like Ebay but you pay for bids. If anyone has any experience please respond, I'm itching to get a PS3 but I'm near broke atm.

P.S: are PS3's all region or still NTSC, NTSC-J & PAL. None of the austions at swoopo or even Ebay mention the region.....
    Last edited by MikeyBonez; 04-18-2009 at 04:24 AM
    Best Answer - Posted by hellospaceboy:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBonez View Post
    at about 3:43 in the video they say you can go online with your PS3, go to add-ons and download BC onto your non-BC PS3. Does this apply to the newer 160GB model? It says in the video it might not work on the 20/40GB model, never mentions 80 or 160.
    Unless the PS3 has 4 usb ports, 20gb, 60gb, or the early 80gb model then it isn't backwards compatible. If you really need backwards compatability to play PS2 games you can buy one 2nd hand or new from eBay (most retailers won't have them in stock anymore).
    If you get a newer 40gb, 80gb, or 160gb console, you will have to wait for Sony to implement backwards compatability in a firmware update.
    Firmware is like an operating system and Sony updates, improves and adds new features every 3 months or so.

2nd question isn't strictly PS3 but would be the way I purchase it (most likely than not). I've heard of this site, with a HQ in USA called swoopo and have seen 160GB PS3's SOLD for about $70 in some cases with shipping..... It's a bidding site like Ebay but you pay for bids. If anyone has any experience please respond, I'm itching to get a PS3 but I'm near broke atm.
    The best thing to do is buy from a retailer, just in case Sony ask for proof of purchase, because you will need a material copy in the event of a warranty repair. Also, buying from a retailer gives you a warranty period with them also so if anything went wrong with your PS3 you could take it back to the store.

P.S: are PS3's all region or still NTSC, NTSC-J & PAL. None of the austions at swoopo or even Ebay mention the region.....
    PS3 games slus are regional, but the games themselves are not region locked, so you play an NTSC game on your PAL ps3, or NTSC-J on your NTSC etc.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Unless the PS3 has 4 usb ports, 20gb, 60gb, or the early 80gb model then it isn't backwards compatible. If you really need backwards compatability to play PS2 games you can buy one 2nd hand or new from eBay (most retailers won't have them in stock anymore).
    If you get a newer 40gb, 80gb, or 160gb console, you will have to wait for Sony to implement backwards compatability in a firmware update.
    Firmware is like an operating system and Sony updates, improves and adds new features every 3 months or so.

The best thing to do is buy from a retailer, just in case Sony ask for proof of purchase, because you will need a material copy in the event of a warranty repair. Also, buying from a retailer gives you a warranty period with them also so if anything went wrong with your PS3 you could take it back to the store.

PS3 games slus are regional, but the games themselves are not region locked, so you play an NTSC game on your PAL ps3, or NTSC-J on your NTSC etc.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks for all the input space boy but I'm well aware of what firmware is and it's uses. I've already seen the firmware updates for the PS3 and have had plenty of experience with firmware from Ipods and other handhelds.

I'd prefer to buy from a retailer but as I said, funds are limited and swoopo seemed like a good option at the time, if business picks up in the next few days here, I'll grab one from Game Stop or Best Buy.

From what you're saying, it seems as though it doesn't matter what region the console is, as you can play cross region games on an NTSC console.

Once I get a PS3, I'll be able to play Mercenaries 2 in it's full glory and not a dumbed-down PS2 version in addition to games like Red Faction Guerrilla, GTA IV and the other insanely sweet looking games for PS3.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    swoopo is a scam: [Register or Login to view links]

thanx Dibblah for the heads up. I kind of figured it was a scam after sending an email, getting no response a week and a half later and the site itself. I never bid on anything so nothing lost there. but i did notice auctions ending now was FUBAR. the timer would cycle up but the price remained the same.

in the same breath, I'm guessing rich-deal.com is also a rip-off. they claim they sell direct from the manufacturer in China and consumers save $$ in the long run, but the shipping to the US is probably killer in addition to Customs fees and whatnot.

BTW, I have no relation, no affiliation to any website and I am not trying to promote any of them, I'm simply trying to save myself some $$ on a PS3.

From what you're saying, it seems as though it doesn't matter what region the console is, as you can play cross region games on an NTSC console.
    It doesn't matter what region PS3 it is, and the best thing about it is that you can pre-order a game thats been released in japan or north america if you live in europe and play it earlier, etc.

Like Demon's Souls, there are 3 variations of the game, Japanese, Korean and an English release in Taiwan (or the other way around lol). Because it's got full english audio and text and english trophies, you could import it.

A lot of people will probably do the same with Final Fantasy XIII.

Huh, sounds pretty good as it will eliminate the need for PAL to NTSC conversion & vice versa. All that's left for me to do now is to be a "Transporter" again and start saving up for the system. My father just got a 15" LCD monitor from a friend and I was wondering if it's easy enough to hook it up to the PS3 so I can have it in my room instead of the den where the regular TV and my PS2 reside. It would be beneficial to have the PS3 and PC in close proximity for net and whatnot.

A few more noobish questions (don't hate me)

well, I'm glad to say I just ordered a PS3 80gig and I just have a few easy questions for you guru's out there.

1) i know the PS3 uses Bluetooth for headsets, keyboards and a mouse but does it support all major bluetooth headsets? I have a Motorola M350 that I use for my cell.

2) USB keyboard & a mouse are fully supported or iffy? I have a extra keyboard I bought for use with the PS2, I'm pretty sure it was Logitech and I just want to be sure I can still use it with the PS3 for browsing. The mouse is probably Dell, Microsoft or HP.

3) What are some "Greatest Hits" a.k.a $20 games that are worth getting? I basically blew the budget with the console lol. I've seen some in Best Buy but had to rush out before getting a good look.

4) I know the PS3 can only handle MP3 playback, no AAC support yet, but I saw it can playback tunes through certain games, are there only a few or do most games have the ability? I love metal/rock & gaming so good combo

I hope I haven't made you guru's out there want to strangle me but I'm trying to get everything sorted out before it gets here so I'm ready to go.

I can only answer 2-4, I would love ro know an answer 1

2A) Yes all USB mice and keyboards work and there are no ifs.

3A) Gamespot.com, they'll let ja know if a game is worth it. On that note...avoid Lair.

4A) From my experience only Warhawk has allowed in game music. Also some what correct me if I am wrong, there is an AAC option in thesettings.

I hope in some way I have helped you.

I've had my PS3/80 for about two weeks. I got it at Target on special ($399 for the unit plus two games -- MotoStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man), rather than just $399 for the basic unit and no games. I also got a 3-year warranty for $30, figured it was worth it given the number of Blu-Ray failures I've read about.

I've had great luck with all the bluetooth devices I've tried with it. I have a Dell BT keyboard and mouse... both work. I have a Motorola stereo headset with mic which also works. I haven't tried my Motorola earbud from my phone yet, but don't care since I have the other headset.

I even got my wireless keypad working under YellowDogLinux 6.1 thanks to some posts here and elsewhere. Oh that reminds me -- I've since replaced my 80 gig drive with a 250 that I had leftover from when I put a 500 in one of my laptops.

It'd be nice if Sony will give us some sort of BC, as I'm seriously considering eBay'ing my PS2 and games. I'm majorly broke now since I got the PS3 and bought a bunch of games and accessories for it.

How long til your PS3 arrives? I bet you're chomping at the bit to get it!!

Rob

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News