Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'll consider wireless as an option, but for ease of setup, there's minimal amount to be done for wired. The router is there, the cable and all I have to do is terminate the cable. If i can get a wireless modem I'll use it for PS3 and possible a laptop when I get one.

As far as update options, I realize there's a few ways of going about it, direct to PS3 from browser, network with PC or stick drive/usb drive. Of all the options though, which has proven itself to be quickest? I want as little downtime as possible or I'll have to install updates around 1/2am so it can go uninterrupted and won't hinder gaming time.

I still have to put MP3's onto my Ipod for easy transfer and retain the correct file names since all my tunes are in AAC and I've read that the PS3 doesn't always get the tags right with that format. I should be able to just dump the MP3's into a folder other than Control/Music or am I mistaken?? I saw a guide on here, but I'll have to search for it again, keep forgetting to bookmark it lol

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBonez View Post
    I'll consider wireless as an option, but for ease of setup, there's minimal amount to be done for wired. The router is there, the cable and all I have to do is terminate the cable. If i can get a wireless modem I'll use it for PS3 and possible a laptop when I get one.

As far as update options, I realize there's a few ways of going about it, direct to PS3 from browser, network with PC or stick drive/usb drive. Of all the options though, which has proven itself to be quickest? I want as little downtime as possible or I'll have to install updates around 1/2am so it can go uninterrupted and won't hinder gaming time.

I still have to put MP3's onto my Ipod for easy transfer and retain the correct file names since all my tunes are in AAC and I've read that the PS3 doesn't always get the tags right with that format. I should be able to just dump the MP3's into a folder other than Control/Music or am I mistaken?? I saw a guide on here, but I'll have to search for it again, keep forgetting to bookmark it lol
    I found the normal way of updating to be much faster and with less downtime. However if an update was put on their server earlier than it was released to the PS3s I would probably go for the USB option instead.

I just put it my music in a folder called "Music" and it worked. I tried others and they all failed.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I realise this is probably a little late now since you've already ordered your PS3 but...

PS3 games are 'region' free as per previous posts...
    However you need to be aware that Blu-Ray disks are not (or weren't - and I'm not aware of any firmware changes here).

I also seem to recall my PS3 being region locked for PS2 games too - however unless you have an original PS3 with BC you probably don't need to know that. Not sure if it works on non BC consoles (probably not!) but if your's IS BC there's a way around it for some games - by using the PS3 version of the PS2 usb iso loader see else where in this forum for details on that!

Hope this helps and isn't too late.

PSPSwampy.
    P.s. I'm not infallable. so if i've made a mistake sorry & please correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Rtrace View Post
    I found the normal way of updating to be much faster and with less downtime. However if an update was put on their server earlier than it was released to the PS3s I would probably go for the USB option instead.
    Queue shamless plug...
    Or you could use my auto downloader just in case you want to do a bit of dev'ing on the latest firmware releases
    Link: PS3 Update Checker v1.6

PSPSwampy ;P
    Last edited by PSPSwampy; 04-26-2009 at 10:43 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for your input, it's a little on the late side but as far as BC goes, I ordered the new 80gig so PS2 region doesn't bother me, plus I verified before ordering that the console is NTSC and all my PS2 games are also NTSC, no imports here, a few backups but no imports. So whenever Sony does release BC for the newer consoles(wishful thinking here :P), I'll be good to go.

Once I set everything thing up, I'll do a trial run on FW and see which method is faster overall. If I load it on my PC, I'll use my IPod to transfer to the PS3 as it's my only USB drive atm unless the FW is only a few mb then I can use a thumb drive I have that's been collecting dust for a while.

Hmmm..... I have to make sure my IPod is FAT32 so I don't have to format and then reinstall all my tunes, vids & pics.

Edit: Ipod is FAT32 so now I just have to wait on delivery -.-' I'm impatient with these things lol
    Last edited by MikeyBonez; 04-27-2009 at 12:57 AM

Quote Originally Posted by PSPSwampy View Post
    I realise this is probably a little late now since you've already ordered your PS3 but...

PS3 games are 'region' free as per previous posts...
    However you need to be aware that Blu-Ray disks are not (or weren't - and I'm not aware of any firmware changes here).

I also seem to recall my PS3 being region locked for PS2 games too - however unless you have an original PS3 with BC you probably don't need to know that. Not sure if it works on non BC consoles (probably not!) but if your's IS BC there's a way around it for some games - by using the PS3 version of the PS2 usb iso loader see else where in this forum for details on that!

Hope this helps and isn't too late.

PSPSwampy.
    P.s. I'm not infallable. so if i've made a mistake sorry & please correct me

Queue shamless plug...
    Or you could use my auto downloader just in case you want to do a bit of dev'ing on the latest firmware releases
    Link: PS3 Update Checker v1.6

PSPSwampy ;P
    You and I gotta talk about that, it doesn't seem to work on my version of Vista.

I forgot to add this before but Swampy, in reference to using your tool for updates, only way I'd "tweak" the firmware is if I was a programming guru and could somehow add BC into it. If that was the case, I think even Starlight would bow down lol. I wish I majored in programming & was capable of doing something like that -.-'

I forgot to add this before but Swampy, in reference to using your tool for updates, only way I'd "tweak" the firmware is if I was a programming guru and could somehow add BC into it. If that was the case, I think even Starlight would bow down lol. I wish I majored in programming & was capable of doing something like that -.-'
    Yeah i get that! lol me n my shamless plugs eh.

You never know.. lol.. i just might have to bow down then..

o.o Starlight has a sense of humor, thats good to know. I don't think Boss would bow down as easily, only way he/she would bow down is if I used ESP or telepathy to get SCEA to drop the price of the PS3 before we all go gray and can't play because of crippling arthritis in the L2/R2 fingers and carpal tunnel syndrome from too many PS3 exclusives. That reminds me, I gotta refill my meds before I get the PS3.

B.T.W: stupid website I ordered from cancelled the order and hasn't responded to emails yet -.-' Gotta wait for a paycheck and trade in my trusty PS2 at Game Stop before that offer runs out. Anyone want to donate to the P.A.D.G.F.P.?? (Poor As Dirt Guy Feigning for a PS3 fund :P) I accept Pay Pal, cash, check, money order, organs and oh yeah PS3's lol

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News