Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Rtrace thanks for your input, I'll dust off my old keyboard & scrounge up a mouse so I can hop online after I hook up ethernet to the router & the PS3. I gotta figure out how to set up a LAN so my PC & PS3 can communicate.

I'll definitely check out GameSpot.com and I've also checked reviews on gamerevolution.com, I also use the cheats alot lol.

I actually hope you're wrong about Warhawk being the only game to allow tunes. It doesn't make sense that sandbox games like GTA & Red Faction don't offer it since they're not linear the tunes aren't steady and you want something to rock out to when you're destroying everything within draw range :P But I hope you're right about the AAC option.

RobG gratz on your new PS3 and if the Motorola stereo headset works, the cell headset should too. BC has been a big issue for a lot of people since Sony took it out of the newer models. They will probably put it in a firmware update in the future but it can't come soon enough for some. I also have a PS2 and a few games, back-ups mostly that I horded away the originals so they can't get damaged.

The seller said 2-3 weeks for delivery but it will probably get here before then, I have the luck with shipping lol.

In regards to you upgrading the HDD, I know a lot of people have done 250's, 500's but I haven't seen anyone who upgraded to a 1 TB HDD. I forgot which site I was on, probably Best Buy, but I saw a 1 TB SATA 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD for $139.99. If anyone can fill that thing up, God bless them lol. I gotta get my hands on a large HDD

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Keep in mind that the PS3's internal hard drive is a 2.5" and the largest 2.5" drive made is 500 gig. The 1TB drives are 3.5". People have made them work by going into their PS3 and attaching a cable to where the 2.5" plugs in, and running it to an external enclosure and power supply.

Rob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBonez View Post
    Rtrace thanks for your input, I'll dust off my old keyboard & scrounge up a mouse so I can hop online after I hook up ethernet to the router & the PS3. I gotta figure out how to set up a LAN so my PC & PS3 can communicate.
    Follow these instructions to get your PS3 to use your Computer's Internet connection

Rob, you were right, i rechecked the site and it was a standard 3.5" for desktops. when i saw it the first time i was half asleep and excited about getting a PS3 so that threw me off.

RTrace, the guy in the vid says he's using WiFi but everything is hardwired so unless my understanding of WiFi is wrong I think he screwed up. Once the PS3 gets here I'll need to terminate the Cat5 cable in that room so I can hook it up to the router (never got around to connecting it lol). The distance from PS3 to router is about 50-60 feet I believe (the cable comes from the basement and up two floors). Would the length slow up the connection or will the difference be negligible? If it will affect the speed drastically, I only have one other option which I'd rather not pursue because it would be more involved.

To further answer your question 2, and for anyone else who stumbles onto this thread, not all USB mice and keyboards work. I used an old Generic branded keyboard (Dick Smith Electronics i think) with a USB adapter and it didn't work, yet i can use an older Compaq keyboard with the adapter and it works fine.

The only way to really tell if something works is to test it and have luck on your side

thanx for the input maddog but i should be fine, the keyboard is made by logitech for the PS2, even though it worked fine on PC when someone accidentally deleted the driver for the standard keyboard. Seeing as how Logitech knows their stuff with console accessories, I'm pretty sure the keyboard will work.

As far as the mouse, all the ones I have are from PC's so the interface should work well, there's no no-name gear here. And if my bluetooth doesn't pair with the PS3, I still have my logitech PS2/PS3 SOCOM headset to fall back on

Rob, you were right, i rechecked the site and it was a standard 3.5" for desktops. when i saw it the first time i was half asleep and excited about getting a PS3 so that threw me off.

RTrace, the guy in the vid says he's using WiFi but everything is hardwired so unless my understanding of WiFi is wrong I think he screwed up. Once the PS3 gets here I'll need to terminate the Cat5 cable in that room so I can hook it up to the router (never got around to connecting it lol). The distance from PS3 to router is about 50-60 feet I believe (the cable comes from the basement and up two floors). Would the length slow up the connection or will the difference be negligible? If it will affect the speed drastically, I only have one other option which I'd rather not pursue because it would be more involved.
    Well the length a Cat5 can go is about 200 feet any farther than that you start to get a deterioration in signal. I would say that it would be safe for you to run a cable from your router to to wherever you are planning to place your PS3. However you will have to make sure that is where you want the PS3 because it'll pretty much be hardwired to that place.

I would recommend that you buy yourself a wireless router. They are not all that much anymore. I got mine for around..free...from the cable company. Who ever your service provider is call em and ask em if they will give you a wireless router and if they do not for free then I would suggest you go with making yourself a long Cat5. But the length would be negligible as it'll be..well long and in the way of things, but not really damaging to your quality online, unless some one where to place something on the wire or you didn't make it right.

thanks again for the input, I kind of figured that the cable length wasn't going to be a huge deal but wasn't entirely sure so I went the safe rather than sorry route. My cable provider gave us a wired Motorola modem and it's currently serving 2 PC's and the extra slots on it are just begging for use by a PS3 or another system/PC. The area where I was going to put the PS3 is where my PS2 is and it's my gaming room more or less all it needs is a Hi-Def TV to play these games in their full glory. The cable really isn't in the way since it's routed over a dropped ceiling then up between the walls, it's only exposed for about 6' once it gets upstairs. Only problem I can see is if I move the PS3 for cleaning and forget to unplug the cable but that's about it.

In reference to a wireless router, I've heard from a few people that the singal isn't great when it's through more than a few walls. Plus the cable is already in place and I just need to crimp some ends on it and hook it up to the router then set up a network which shouldn't be too hard to do

In all honesty, I more or less want the PS3 networked for GTA IV and Mercenaries 2, well in addition to firmware patches. All I'm waiting on (in addition to the PS3 that is lol) is the firmware update that finally allows backwards compatibility so I can get rid of my aging PS2.

Same issue with key board

"I even got my wireless keypad working under YellowDogLinux 6.1 thanks to some posts here and elsewhere. Oh that reminds me -- I've since replaced my 80 gig drive with a 250 that I had leftover from when I put a 500 in one of my laptops."

Me too still broke.

thanks again for the input, I kind of figured that the cable length wasn't going to be a huge deal but wasn't entirely sure so I went the safe rather than sorry route. My cable provider gave us a wired Motorola modem and it's currently serving 2 PC's and the extra slots on it are just begging for use by a PS3 or another system/PC. The area where I was going to put the PS3 is where my PS2 is and it's my gaming room more or less all it needs is a Hi-Def TV to play these games in their full glory. The cable really isn't in the way since it's routed over a dropped ceiling then up between the walls, it's only exposed for about 6' once it gets upstairs. Only problem I can see is if I move the PS3 for cleaning and forget to unplug the cable but that's about it.

In reference to a wireless router, I've heard from a few people that the singal isn't great when it's through more than a few walls. Plus the cable is already in place and I just need to crimp some ends on it and hook it up to the router then set up a network which shouldn't be too hard to do

In all honesty, I more or less want the PS3 networked for GTA IV and Mercenaries 2, well in addition to firmware patches. All I'm waiting on (in addition to the PS3 that is lol) is the firmware update that finally allows backwards compatibility so I can get rid of my aging PS2.
    It all really depends on the Wireless router, the older models do not handle the PS3 very well and in most cases should probably be in the same room as the PS3. However a model like mine which is a NETGEAR..and I forgot the model number...anyways, I only see a slowdown when in Home, it takes the models a little bit to load. I actually see that slow down even when wired.
    But this up to you, it's your investment and I gotta tell you it is well worth it.

Also you can get official firmware from here and then install it on the PS3 in a rather easy process.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News