Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Fat PS3 Internal Hard Drive Upgrade help?

Sponsored Links
    I was wondering if you can put a 2.5" 2TB internal laptop hard drive into the "fat" PS3. I've tried looking this up and every question about it is about 2+ years old and give lots of conflicting info or say there are no 2TB internal laptop hard drives (obviously old).

So, I wanted to ask, will the PS3 recognize 2TB of internal storage? The hard drive I have is a WD Green WD20NPVT 2TB IntelliPower 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive.

Also, is there anything else I would need to do other than installing the hard drive? Like any firmware updates or anything? I know it needs to be formatted as FAT32, but I'm not aware of anything else. I'm just getting into messing with PS3's so sorry for being a noob.
    Best Answer - Posted by windrider42:

Yep above is correct that PS3 can only accept 9.5 mm

And yes 1TB appears to be maximum size, but there are people who reported using 2TB. You can use larger than that but need to partition it. Also best too use 5400 rpm as you don't really gain anything with 7200 rpm.

For compatibility, if you have a SATA-300 (sometimes called SATA-II or SATA2) harddrive, you should sometimes set the harddrive via jumper to enforce the slower SATA-150 speed, instead of default 3 Gb/s of SATA-300.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    yes mate, I wonder if I can do the same but I am thinking of updating my ps3 fat HDD to 500 GB and attache a 1TB external HDD, if anyone here please can help me if 1TB will be recognized by mm 4.13.00 full? I am on CFW 3.55 kmeaw.

Thank you for replying mates.
    Last edited by maly70; 12-14-2012 at 12:26 AM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think 1tb is still the max... for the internal

Thank you mate

I have only went up to 1tb. If you are on cfw 3.55 q and a the ps3 and go to ofw 3.55. If on anything higher that is cfw downgrade to cfw 3.55 and q and a the ps3 and then go to ofw 3.55. Yes there is a reason for this. Thanks

Well I can tell you one thing. Your drive probably won't fit inside a fat ps3. That WD you have is a 15mm drive (according to Newegg) and the fat ps3 only accepts 9.5mm high drives.

Yep above is correct that PS3 can only accept 9.5 mm

And yes 1TB appears to be maximum size, but there are people who reported using 2TB. You can use larger than that but need to partition it. Also best too use 5400 rpm as you don't really gain anything with 7200 rpm.

For compatibility, if you have a SATA-300 (sometimes called SATA-II or SATA2) harddrive, you should sometimes set the harddrive via jumper to enforce the slower SATA-150 speed, instead of default 3 Gb/s of SATA-300.

Hello everyone, now my friend if you have a PS3 FAT i suggest that you upgrade to 500Gb, because if you upgrade more than that it will be VeRy very slow, we tried that on my friend's PS3, whether it's WD or Seagate or any HDD with high cache memory, and as for the PS3 slim i upgraded mine to 1Tb, but i didn't go beyond that so i don't know if 2Tb works or not.

Well, what's keeping you from either (a), cutting plastic out to fit a bigger drive inside or (b), running SATA extender cables (which reportedly has been done before to fit larger not-so-internal drives)?

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News