Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Fan-noise louder than expected?

Sponsored Links
    Hello there,

I wanted to ask you guys (and girls) about your impressions of the fan-noise the PS 3 produces; mainly to make sure wheter my PS 3 (60 GB) is alright or not.

So basically if I turn the PS 3 on, I have this really loud fan-noise for around 1 second. The Fan must be spinning really fast in that instant, after that it mutes to a barely audible hum (like many internet sites already stated); let's call this stage 1. Now, after a while of playing the PS 3's fan starts to run faster. It gets a bit louder (stage 2), still bearly audible and really not a problem.

However, after some more playing the PS 3 enters "Stage 3" where the fan practically spins almost as fast as in that one second on boot up. The noise-level is almost on par with the noise my 360 produces in the dash (actually, I'd say it is louder).

I've checked if there is anything like dust in the ventilation-shafts and relocated the console to a totally open place (it actually always is in a totally open place, but rather close to the wall on the backside (~10cm~7"). Tried to put it lying and standing, all to no avail...

Actually, it would not be that much of a problem. As stated it is about the same as the 360s noise in the dashboard which is still quite. I'd just like to know wheter it is only me or anyone else experiencing the same thing (wanted to call it issue, but I hope it isn't an issue).

Thanks for the responses in advance!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    have you used the system a lot? maby its collecting dust inside causing higher temperatures. this aways happens to my laptop since its on like 19+- hours everyday the way i cleaned that was i used a can of air on the heat sink vents and clouds of dust would come out then i use the vacuum to suck out any remaining dust. the laptop would run a lot cooler and quieter. quieter because the laptop senses the temperature and adjusts the fan to the right speed for the temp.

i think thats what your ps3 is doing, its getting hot, sensing it and trying to cool down. take some caned air or try vacuuming your vents and see if that helps.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    try cleaning your system out with some compressed air (do it outside).

mine is quiet all the time, although i can feel the top (mine is upright) near the right edge get pretty hot while it's on.

i only use my ps3 maybe 1 hour a day average.

also, make sure your ps3 is in a very well ventilated area, not in an enclosed space or anything. doesn't mean the windows have to be open just make sure there is open air around it so it can breathe.

My PS3 seems pretty quiet while playing Resistance so yeah, I think there may just be too much dust, perhaps.

Thumbs Up

Hey guys, thanks for feedback...

However, I might add that I have the PS 3 since only ~2-3 weeks and therefore there shouldn't be all to much dust collecting into it... Also, it stands in the open and shouldn't have any trouble getting the air-circulation it needs.

It seems to me that the time-distances as to when all this happenes are quite constant, therefore I'll try to measure them and post them here; I might also add a video of how "loud" my PS 3 is. If I use this fine piece of hardware I often use it for 3 hours straight and it never once locked up until now ^^

However, thanks for the repsonses so far, I'm happy for every other statment you guys have for me. If nothing helps I guess I'll just try and blow out those holes; maybe it really is dusty already...

@foss: Yea, I felt that too, guess the PS 3 rather puts out the hot air on it's right side or top (depending on how it's standing) instead of the back (it get's a bit hot there too, but no comparsion to the place you mentioned )
    Last edited by Dixxhead; 01-30-2007 at 01:30 PM

Sorry for double-post, didn't make it in time to edit anymore:

Here are some pics of the current situation, I'll be sure to record the sound my ps 3 makes later on, as soon as the sound starts to appear.

Pics of how my PS3 is standing currently:
    [Register or Login to view links]
    Last edited by Dixxhead; 01-30-2007 at 01:50 PM

i would definately stand your ps3 up on its side (so the power LEDs are top).

this will help it cool since hot air rises. when it's on its side hot air can escape out the top and in that corner where it gets really hot. when it's laying flat like you have it now the hot air doesn't escape as easily..

you should be able to stand it up however you like, which sucks, but i guess it's better than a 360 with respect to heat/overheating/design.

i would hesitate adding one of those add on cooling fans when they come out. i would not want to have any additional power drain from the ps3. externally powered fans however might be good for the lifespan of the ps3.
    Last edited by foss; 01-30-2007 at 02:18 PM

Yes, sounds logical, however even doing that didn't help... The PS 3 still got into "Stage 3"... I guess I'll live with it for now; I'm almost 100% sure it is more of a "preventive" cooling more than a necessary one, thus maybe making the "problem" fixable through a firmware update that provides a more sofisticated or less restricted temperature threshold. I've read that this "problem" arises on other consoles aswell which makes my console perfectly sane

Thanks for your help though. I appreciated it.

i don't know about making it "fixable" with a bios update that would make the fan come on less often. this would just mean that the console would definately overheat and eventually fail.

the fan is there for a reason, to kick in when things get too hot. if your system's fan is going into the highest mode more quickly than other people's (like mine), then either your ps3 is not getting sufficiently cooled or you have a defective ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by foss View Post
    i don't know about making it "fixable" with a bios update that would make the fan come on less often. this would just mean that the console would definately overheat and eventually fail.

the fan is there for a reason, to kick in when things get too hot. if your system's fan is going into the highest mode more quickly than other people's (like mine), then either your ps3 is not getting sufficiently cooled or you have a defective ps3.
    I just hope my PS 3 is not defective (cleaned it out today with a compressor, but it standing vertically, totally alone with the heating for the room turned of and only HDMI+Power connected... It still started making noise after some time.:?? ) as I'd hate to have to get rid of it already for fixing

Anyways, I thought that maybe it would be usefull if I recorded the sound my PS 3 makes at boot-up for you guys to listen into so that you can tell me wheter this is normal or not...

Link Removed- Read the RULES! Either attach your sound clip here, or don't post it! -Staff

Basically after the 1st *Beep* I turn the PS 3 on, then you hear what my fan does and after that you get the silence you all talk about. The 2nd *Beep* is where I turn it off and there is virually no difference between it running and being off so after it you still here nothing but the background noise of my Mic.

I'm gratefull for anyone who gives it a listen and "reports" back here as to wheter it is normal or not

Thanks again guys.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News