Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Red Face [Answered] Extreme failure attempting to solder

Sponsored Links
    I failed extremely (see pic) trying to solder a wire to the ram resistor. This was actually a double failure. Somewhere in my attempt i messed up the connection (tried to scrape paint off with xacto knife) and the PS3 would power on but wouldn't boot.

And in my attempt to fix this I broke off a capacitor. Can anyone help me fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

solder.jpg  
    Best Answer - Posted by soultrane:

First,

If having problems with a 2-pin part, I would not suggest trying any more complex soldering at this point. For this component, you could use a good pair of tweezers (sharp ends, curved ends). Something like SMD107-SA (google it).

Take some solder wick and remove all solder from the pads. Be sure not to heat up the pads for too long or apply too much pressure or you'll lose the pad. Clean your solder tip. Use of some form of magnification and good lighting would help. A desk lamp w/a lens or a headband magnifier + utility light would work.

With solder ready, heat the pad with the widest trace (power or GND side). If both are "skinny" traces - then just pick one. Once heated, take some solder and put a small amount on the pad so the pad now has a layer of solder.

Take your tweezers and line up the component so it is centered over the pads. The side with the solder on the pad will be slightly raised. Heat both the component and the pad (solder) while keeping the component steady with the tweezers. Anchoring your hand on the PCB will help steady the hand. You should see the solder is shiny on the pad and component after done.

Clean your solder tip. Quickly put a small dab of solder on the end of the tip. Use the tweezers to steady the part. Now heat both the pad and component of the other side of the component. The fresh solder on the tip should flow to the pad and component once they are heated. Once solder starts to flow, remove the heat and keep the component steady to prevent a cold solder.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Whops.

Okay, first of all clean up the board from all those solder-peaces. They coult cause a short circuit.

The renew the solder on the connectionpoints, BUT use soldering flux. This helps to attach the solder.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I cleaned up the solder (did that right after I took the pic) but now I have another problem. I lost the resistor D:

And yes, its a resistor not a capacitor. Hurp derp me. Where am I gonna buy one of these resistors?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnorok161 View Post
    I cleaned up the solder (did that right after I took the pic) but now I have another problem. I lost the resistor D:

And yes, its a resistor not a capacitor. Hurp derp me. Where am I gonna buy one of these resistors?
    You can get those online but you'd need to know it's rezistance - just google under products (former froogle) for "SMD resistors"

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    You can get those online but you'd need to know it's rezistance - just google under products (former froogle) for "SMD resistors"
    Or he could go buy a ps3 Mobo (proper model of course) for parts and take the exact same resistor off the new board to replace the one he broke off... or swap the nand chips to the new mobo.
    Last edited by laggmaster; 05-13-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    Or he could go buy a ps3 Mobo (proper model of course) for parts and take the exact same resistor off the new board to replace the one he broke off... or swap the nand chips to the new mobo.
    This is ideally the safest route, but I don't see it being practical unless you just feel like spending money lol. He could just get a spare resistor for a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    This is ideally the safest route, but I don't see it being practical unless you just feel like spending money lol. He could just get a spare resistor for a fraction of the price.
    yes but since your going as far to solder the mobo yourself then you may as well buy another Mobo before the price goes up that way you have spare parts if you ever need them.... i dont know my moto is always be prepared it makes things a lot easier,and usually cheaper, in the long run... not to mention hes soldering his mobo himself i doubt he is going to send it to sony...

you can get resistors for practically nothing, so it's probably best first trying to get one of the right resistance and soldering that on himself before buying a whole new mobo and thinking about swapping the nands

but if i'm totally honest, if you do manage to fix this up and the ps3 boots, then i would recommend keeping it purely for trying to dump something using JaicraB's exploit and not really for playing any ps3 games.

hope you do manage to fix it though, wouldn't want to see a perfectly good ps3 go to waste!

Thanks for all the help. I'll test out another one of the resistors with my multimeter and find the right one to purchase online and try to solder it. I also need to get a better soldering iron, one that has a smaller thinner top and a high hand guard so I can hold it better.

I found the resistor! I got a reading of 00.6 at 200Ω. Now to get a better soldering iron and a couple better tools to help.

Managed to get the highest res pic of the resistor. No identifying marks aside from the color.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

Dlp4e.jpg  
    Last edited by ragnorok161; 05-14-2010 at 02:32 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

wow man that sucks, but don't feel bad.. we all can make mistakes.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News