Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] Encoding HD content for PS3

Sponsored Links
    I've got a couple of files that are encoded in 720p that I can watch on my computer. I'd like to do whatever to them so I can stick them on a memory card and watch them on my PS3. I know about the program PS3 Video 9, but I think that only does 480p, but I could be mistaken. I have tried FFMpeg in linux, but I haven't found the right settings yet. Has anyone done this successfully?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I use a program called MeGUI. It's an x264 video converter. The iPod 5.5G profile works perfectly with the PS3 and you can crop, set the resolution, etc.

Registered User ElectrixBreaker's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I use PS3Video9, TMPGEnc, Xilisoft & VLC. I prefer VLC to convert almost any format including Blu Ray to h.264+ac3 (mp4) on the PS3!

you can size the picture of the file to 720p or 1080p in ps3video9, but the quality might be better with other encoders. I converted the movie 300 from xvid to 1080p... it looked kinda good, but it was blocky like an enlarged mpeg video.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectrixBreaker View Post
    I use PS3Video9, TMPGEnc, Xilisoft & VLC. I prefer VLC to convert almost any format including Blu Ray to h.264+ac3 (mp4) on the PS3!
    I'd like to know more about how you used VLC to convert HD-DVD to other formats, as well as the results, hardware, time, etc.

Please share with us.

I use PS3Video9 to convert x264 MKV video files to 720p AVC.

There's no point in converting a 480p video file to 1080p its obviously going to be distorted.

Quote Originally Posted by krackow View Post
    I'd like to know more about how you used VLC to convert HD-DVD to other formats, as well as the results, hardware, time, etc.

Please share with us.
    on VLC, go to File > Wizard (or Ctrl+W), select Transcode to File, then go through the menus.... i'm trying to encode an Apple 1080p trailer to h264 + MP4 audio right now, and good GOD is it a slow process (this being on a AMD 4800 dual core PC with 2GB mem and a 10Krpm RaptorX drive); even though it says 1.00X speed conversion, its going much slower than that....

maybe i'm doing something wrong using PS3 video9, but i try to convert any video file to the PS3 AVC 1080p format, and it flashes "Starting Conversion / Converting... / Conversion Complete" and doesn't save anything in the right file location! what's up with that?

I've never tried converting anything to 1080p with PS3Video9, maybe try converting to 720p for test purposes?

well, the good news is that i finally got PS3video9 to work after upgrading to the 2.15 version, but the video flickers and flickers during playback, might it possibly be due to the fact that VLC can't play it back on my 1080i HDTV "computer monitor"? doesn't make much sense since the .MOV trailers i have downloaded are 1080p and playback just fine using VLC as it is.

i just got sick of it all and gave up - i'd rather not have ANY new trailers on my PS3 than convert Apple HD Trailers to 720p.... i'll come back to it later, but for now i'm not having any luck using it!

What is the native res of your TV or model number of your TV?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News