Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Read some info on this site and anywhere else: Linux is perfectly (and legally) able to access cell processor - i.e. it has access to PPC core and 6 out of 8 SPUs (in Tungsten's Gallium these are used for rendering OpenGL). so there is no major obstacle here.

Performance is not an issue as well. I have 60GB PAL model that allows PS2 playback and according to [Register or Login to view links] the PS2 emulation is done is software (as opposed to 20GB & 60GB NTSC models where HW parts of PS2 are incorporated into mainboard to provide PS2 functionality - see also http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...ty-103266.html).

Even better link here: [Register or Login to view links]
    Sorry i didnt undertsand what you were trying to say, am i right in thinkin people have access to us ethe CELL processor for gfx & a ps2 emulator is possible right now if the right people work on it?

hmmmm i could only wish for this along with a Dreamcast emulator , i hear nulldc works mint on pc nowaways.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by sika View Post
    Sorry i didnt undertsand what you were trying to say, am i right in thinkin people have access to us ethe CELL processor for gfx & a ps2 emulator is possible right now if the right people work on it?

hmmmm i could only wish for this along with a Dreamcast emulator , i hear nulldc works mint on pc nowaways.
    You understand it right. However it is not ready yet - Tungsten's work on Gallium is work in progress and CELL OpenGL renderer is not yet complete (AFAIK). If it was, it should be possible to port PS2 emulator (or almost any other emulator) to Linux running on PS3. Also I think most of the PS2 emulators are coded for Windows which would make this task more complicated but not impossible. The main setback for (Linux) PS3 gaining various nice stuff is lack of accelerated graphics - in Linux hypervisor blocks direct access to 3D features of the GPU.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You understand it right. However it is not ready yet - Tungsten's work on Gallium is work in progress and CELL OpenGL renderer is not yet complete (AFAIK). If it was, it should be possible to port PS2 emulator (or almost any other emulator) to Linux running on PS3. Also I think most of the PS2 emulators are coded for Windows which would make this task more complicated but not impossible. The main setback for (Linux) PS3 gaining various nice stuff is lack of accelerated graphics - in Linux hypervisor blocks direct access to 3D features of the GPU.
    Oh really. i didnt know linux could access the cell proccesor. so that changes everything. it would be possible to get any emulator including the PS2, but would we be able to have a near perfect PS2 emulator that could possibly play most games?

wow this is interesting news, i woudl absolutely loev to play shenmue (dreamcast) on the playtstaion, that would b crazy, and the ps3/psp emu would be too good too, ahh well lets just wait and see what happens fingers crossed

How many CELL cores are used in Linux? And i have one more question. How good is emulated DX9 or if its possible DX10 on Linux (in WINE?)? I have thinked about PCSX2 for playstation 2 emulation cause GSDX have software emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by mateuszss View Post
    How many CELL cores are used in Linux?
    As far as I know, all 6 of them.
    And i have one more question. How good is emulated DX9 or if its possible DX10 on Linux(in WINE?)? I have thinked about PCSX2 for playstation 2 emulation cause GSDX have software emulation
    The software mode in GSDX would completely not be optimized for the Cell -- and actually, WINE does not even have a complete ppc compiler... which will mean double emulation, not good.

Quote Originally Posted by NTAuthority View Post
    As far as I know, all 6 of them.
    Actually, CELL (or CBE) is heterogeneous CPU of PS3 consisting of Power Processor Element (PPE - Power PC core) and 8 (not 6) Synergistic Processor Elements (SPE). Linux can access 6 of those 8 cores while native software (XMB, games) are said to be able to use 7 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NTAuthority View Post
    The software mode in GSDX would completely not be optimized for the Cell -- and actually, WINE does not even have a complete ppc compiler... which will mean double emulation, not good.
    WINE emulates DX9/10 using OpenGL - some things are working better, some worse some do not work at all. As we yet do not have OpenGL in PS3 Linux it is too soon to discuss WINE for emulating games. Besides WINE is primarily written for x86 architectures and PowerPC is not supported (see [Register or Login to view links] ) It would require CPU emulation which I guess is not feasible performance-wise. More probable chance is porting the emulator to Linux and recompiling it for PS3 PowerPC.

Actually, CELL (or CBE) is heterogeneous CPU of PS3 consisting of Power Processor Element (PPE - Power PC core) and 8 (not 6) Synergistic Processor Elements (SPE). Linux can access 6 of those 8 cores while native software (XMB, games) are said to be able to use 7 of them.
    One core is disabled during the production process, another one is always reserved for the XMB (or hypervisor, or some other system component
    WINE emulates DX9/10 using OpenGL - some things are working better, some worse some do not work at all. As we yet do not have OpenGL in PS3 Linux it is too soon to discuss WINE for emulating games. Besides WINE is primarily written for x86 architectures and PowerPC is not supported (see [Register or Login to view links] ) It would require CPU emulation which I guess is not feasible performance-wise. More probable chance is porting the emulator to Linux and recompiling it for PS3 PowerPC.
    Software mode should not be hardware-accelerated. As I said, PPC should compile, though there is _no_ Windows application which is PPC nowadays. Also, PCSX2 uses a lot of X86 specific code, though this should be able to be ported. If it will run correctly, that is -- but as service mode consoles should contain a fully software-based emulator, it may be feasible... or only with working RSX.

Thanks for answer. I hoped that it will be possible. And i not thinked about emulating emulator cause this will be stupid. I thinked about using emulator on software mode with DX9/10 or OpenGL.

Sorry for my english, but im from Poland and there arent good websites like this.
    Last edited by mateuszss; 01-25-2009 at 06:58 PM

have they not been able to find another hole for RSX access

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News