Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Downgrade a Slim 3.50 PS3 Without Formatting?

Sponsored Links
    Hi,

My slim PS3 is currently jailbroken on 3.41 firmware. I'd like to update it to 3.50 firmware to play games like NFS: Hot Pursuit & Gran Turismo 5.

Once I've finished playing, I would like to downgrade back to 3.41 firmware to continue using the jailbreak. Now, I've read in quite a few places that with slim consoles only, the downgrade formats your internal hard drive.

I have a 650GB internal hard drive that is full to the brim of data, I can't back it all up so is there a way of downgrading a slim console without the hard drive being formatted?

In a nutshell, I want to go to 3.50 and back to 3.41 with all my save data, game data, homebrew and game dumps left intact. Is this possible for a PS3 slim console?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    ok, since you upgraded your ps3 hdd to 650gb im sure you still have the old one you replaced. If you do, pop that one in and then do your upgrading/downgrading so everything will stay intact on your 650gb. If you don't still have the hdd you replaced then i would recommend buying/borrowing a hdd for this suggested method. This is how i do it, i replace my 320gb with the original 40gb, upgraded to 3.50, play games, downgraded back to 3.41 then replace 320gb.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm surprised that works, don't you get any errors/file corruption on the PS3 when you put your 320gb back in after downgrading?

I currently use my original HDD in a USB enclosure and use it as my external USB HDD, so that has been formatted since the swap. Would this be a problem? I'm aware it would need to be formatted again once i've installed it in the PS3...
    Last edited by djhazardous; 12-17-2010 at 06:37 AM

No it won't be a problem. All you will need to do is put it back in your PS3 and have firmware v 3.5 on a flash drive. The PS3 will enter drive recovery mode and will reformat the HD with the 3.5 firmware. It will reboot and work normally.

Brilliant!

And once I've downgraded back to 3.41 I can re-install my 650GB HDD and everything that was on there before will be there for me to continue to use? Such as: save data, game data, homebrew and game dumps?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News