Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Answered] Do you think the PS3 will be able to run Emulators?

Do you think the PS3 will be able to run Xbox, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast or PSP Emulators ?
    I think it has enough Power to emulate the Hardware for these consoles.

personally no, i dont htink they will.though next gen is far superior its just not THAT superior to the point where they can emulate other consoles. i mean there is a new snes emu out there now that emulates a snes EXACTLY the way the system is. and a 3.2 p4 cant run everything 100%, on a more realistic sale, n64 emulation on pc aint perfect yet so on next gen machines its not likely. dont get me wrog though, what you see with the xbox 360 and the PS3 is a limited PC, with a few minor differences. looking at the xbox the current gen are barely 5 times more powerful, when i think i read somewhere they need to me 50 times more powerful or 500 times, but you can see that emulating these consoles are a long way away, though DC has improved and is running at 10fps to 20fps, where as ps2 has reached only 5fps i think. not great and these are figures from top end pc's.

i think i have wondered too far but the bottom line is no, i dont think they will, BUT if any of theh consoles you listed were to be emulated it would be

N64 and possibly and i say this with enormous amount of doubt Dreamcast. the PSP uses a nerve system rather than polygons so thats gonna be a stupid task to try and emulate. since it uses a new system thats new to everyone its gonna be a long time before its emulated.

hope this helps

It's not really raw PC power that is hindering the emulation scene, its just a complete lack of knowledge about the inner-workings of the systems. Emulation by definition is something that mimic's something else. When you don't have a system's schematics right in front of you, emulation can boil down to nothing but trial and error. Probably the reason we don't have a functioning Saturn emu or a complete DC or N64 emu yet. If someone leaked everything there is to know about the GC, PS2, xbox, etc, it would be HELLA easy to emulate those machines (for people who are good at making emus of course) on today's computers and the next gen systems (assuming they get hacked to handle that).

There will definatly be N64 and below emulated on the 360 because xbox1 can do it and it has far less power. Dreamcast is actually also possible on xbox1 but the person who was porting chankast abandoned the project.

As for ps2/gamecube/psp/ds, don't hold your breath. The system has enough power to run them, but nearly all console emulators are ports of pc emulators. 6 months after the emulators are working very well on PC (and open source) I predect there could be ports to 360. Seeing as how emus on pc for the current gen still have a ways to go, it will be a while.

So what's the name of that new SNES emulator? And yeah, if the programmers had the official documentation for the consoles they could pull it off.

You have to remember most emulators are created to be freely distributed and those programmers make little to no profit from them. So they don't dedicate the world to improving the emulator.

That is sadly the case with a few of them. While we get lucky sometimes (ZSNES is a solid gold work of art), sometimes authors just plain give up on a rockin' emu (Project 64 and Chancast [DC emu] come to mind). If only they would release their damn source...

Edit: Looks like PJ64 is actually still kickin'. Good stuff
    Last edited by studtrooper; 01-09-2006 at 02:51 AM

Sure thing there will some emus for the x360/ps3, but they will be either abandoned or banned.. or they will work

still there will be nes, mame and some sega console. I would like to see the n64 emulated on the ps3, that would rock.

i agree with boba fett, they are probably powerful enough but theres not enough knowledge to make the emu's. revolution seems to be the first system to "legally" do this emu for older systems, very good idea. although ps3 can play the older games and xbox360 can do xbox1 but not all games work, specially xbox 1 on a 360.

Quote Originally Posted by northernpimp
    i agree with boba fett, they are probably powerful enough but theres not enough knowledge to make the emu's. revolution seems to be the first system to "legally" do this emu for older systems, very good idea. although ps3 can play the older games and xbox360 can do xbox1 but not all games work, specially xbox 1 on a 360.
    There is nothing illegal about emulation.

well owning roms is if you dont own the game nintendo's is like a official emulation right from the maker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast