Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] DLC from other sources?

Sponsored Links
    I've been using my PS3 and the PSN for a pretty long time. I have no problem using PSN to get patches, updates and fixes as downloads for my console.

I know that the only way to get hold of DLC for the PS3 is through PSN, other than the regular firmare updates. Or am I wrong? Is it possible to get DLC from other sources?

The reason I ask is this. Most gaming magezines offer some kind of disc with it. But these are usually only aimed at PC gaming. With patches, demos and stuff like that. So it seems to me that, as a console gamer, I get a bit of a raw deal, paying the same as the PC games, but getting less value for the product. I'm thinking of all console gamers and not just PS3 users.

I just want to know if it is possible to add game related content to the console without PSN. Make sense?
    Best Answer - Posted by tragedy:

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo42 View Post
    I know that the only way to get hold of DLC for the PS3 is through PSN, other than the regular firmare updates. Or am I wrong? Is it possible to get DLC from other sources?
    Yes, it's very possible. Search around for the instructions on how to install a pkg file - the typical way is to use a proxy server and trick the PS3 into installing your package instead of folding at home.
    The reason I ask is this. Most gaming magezines offer some kind of disc with it. But these are usually only aimed at PC gaming. With patches, demos and stuff like that. So it seems to me that, as a console gamer, I get a bit of a raw deal, paying the same as the PC games, but getting less value for the product.
    There are some PS3 coverdisks that just contain .pkg files, but these are rare. In any case, you can download patches and demos from PSN for free. How are you getting a raw deal?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo42 View Post
    Yes, it's very possible. Search around for the instructions on how to install a pkg file - the typical way is to use a proxy server and trick the PS3 into installing your package instead of folding at home.
    The reason I ask is this. Most gaming magezines offer some kind of disc with it. But these are usually only aimed at PC gaming. With patches, demos and stuff like that. So it seems to me that, as a console gamer, I get a bit of a raw deal, paying the same as the PC games, but getting less value for the product.
    There are some PS3 coverdisks that just contain .pkg files, but these are rare. In any case, you can download patches and demos from PSN for free. How are you getting a raw deal?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The Raw deal comes in due to the PC games getting to use the "free" disc to its full potential, while console gamers don't. They might say the disc is free, but the retail price of the final product is still dependent on the disc. If no disc was included. The price of the mag would me cheaper. I do tend to have some weird views on these thing, so this is just the way that I look at it.

But like I said. I have no problem just connecting my PS3 and getting the content from PSN. I just want some more info.

And thanks for the info, I'll have a look and see what more I can find out.

Hey Nemo42. I totall agree with you. But I know a person who has his own set of views regarding $ony and if there is a buck to be made they sure will. And now with Geohot/Egohot (depending on your viewpoint), I think $ony will think twice about making anything available through any medium other than PSN. I am waiting for the day when they will announce that you can only do patches and updates via PSN ... watch this space.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News