Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Data Transfer Utility - One System help?

Sponsored Links
    The original motherboard of my system has the YLOD so I now have a working spare. Using a heat gun, I got the original working again for the 5th time. So now, I'm trying to use the Data Transfer Utility. At first I thought I could just put it on a Flash Drive but it didn't say how it works as the process started.

It got to the part where I need to deactivate and I was scared to do so without knowing by the last step if two PS3's need to be running simultaneously or if it can be done with just one - after I finish, if I can replace the motherboard with the new one and finish the process. Can it work like that, and if not, is it possible in any way with the only additional parts aside from the original being a motherboard, HDD, and a power supply?

Also, if I do the Data Transfer, do I also need to back up my HDD or after the info is transfered, it'd accept the same HDD no problem? Thanks guys, sincerely.

PS- Sorry guys, forgot to ask, would I be able to re-obtain everything I had/got on my original motherboard on the new motherboard using just the backup function? Is the Data Transfer Utility just a more efficient way or something different? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 10-17-2010 at 04:36 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Best Answer - Posted by Transient:

When switching HDDs within the same PS3, it's not a problem restoring from the backup. It's only a problem when restoring to a second PS3. In your case, the PS3 will effectively be a new PS3 since you're replacing the mobo.

Also, I have no experience with swapping mobos in PS3s, but I seem to recall reading that you have to have a matching blu-ray drive as the drive will only work with the original mobo. Maybe that's only true on certain models, or maybe it's not true at all, but I thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't been considered.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You do need two PS3s running simultaneously in order to use the Data Transfer Utility. The two are connected with an ethernet cable and the transfer happens directly without the use of a flash drive.

There's also a Backup Utility which transfers content to a USB drive and then you can restore it on the other system. Any protected content (which is probably most of it) will not be restored on the new PS3.

You can see how it all works in detail here: [Register or Login to view links]

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh, I see... Wait a sec though. I'm confused. What happens/happened with those people who's PS3's got the YLOD and decided to buy new ones? They wouldn't be able to transfer their data at all.

It's recommended to do a backup from time to time, on anything really, so alright, that could be an excuse, but they wouldn't have been able to do a Data Transfer regardless. So did everyone who bought a lot of DLC for instance and who's PS3s died get screwed? They buy a new PS3 and a lot of their data can't be recovered that they PAID for?! I don't get it.. Lol, is that even legal?

You can connect to the PS Store and download your purchases on up to 5 machines, but yeah basically you're SOL if you can't do that for whatever reason. The joys of digital content.

Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    You can connect to the PS Store and download your purchases on up to 5 machines, but yeah basically you're SOL if you can't do that for whatever reason. The joys of digital content.
    What wouldn't I be able to get back? SingStar download weren't from PSN for example. Darn... so many things.. Installations on the system of DLC aren't transferred during backup? What kind of generic stuff (things that would apply to everyone) wouldn't be transferred that makes the "Data Transfer" necessary?

It's easier to say what you would get back than what you wouldn't. Basically any unprotected videos, pictures, music and save games. That's about it. I just did it a few weeks ago hoping I could get some of my stuff onto my JB PS3 and was surprised to see how little was actually restored from the backup.

It's easier to say what you would get back than what you wouldn't. Basically any unprotected videos, pictures, music and save games. That's about it. I just did it a few weeks ago hoping I could get some of my stuff onto my JB PS3 and was surprised to see how little was actually restored from the backup.
    I see. I'm just thinking.. I did this once already when switching HDDs, the backup. It turned out fine. I just redownloaded and installed everything I did prior (didn't have SingStar at that point yet so don't know how that will turn out), but in this case, I'm also changing the motherboard. A lot of my info remained on the PS3 before I even did the restore. I'm wondering if that info is just manual stuff I entered like a username or whatever or there's more to it than that.

Like, does the mobo store any info that's essential in connection with other things or info that has been accumulated over time? It almost feels like I'd be losing my identity, lol. I'm just afraid of acting now and dealing with the unsolvable consequences later which seems to be with almost everything on the PS3 and a reoccurring pattern. Usually I've been able to solve problems like with any of my PCs, hardware or software, in the most radical ways but not at all here.
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 10-17-2010 at 06:42 AM

When switching HDDs within the same PS3, it's not a problem restoring from the backup. It's only a problem when restoring to a second PS3. In your case, the PS3 will effectively be a new PS3 since you're replacing the mobo.

Also, I have no experience with swapping mobos in PS3s, but I seem to recall reading that you have to have a matching blu-ray drive as the drive will only work with the original mobo. Maybe that's only true on certain models, or maybe it's not true at all, but I thought I'd mention it in case it hasn't been considered.

Yeah, I got that. Just, it doesn't tell me what I was asking in the prior post. If you don't know that's ok. Basically, I was just asking for specifics.
    Yeah, I've heard that. I really hope it's not true cause then I'm totally screwed.
    Last edited by Typhoon859; 10-17-2010 at 07:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post
    Yeah, I got that. Just, it doesn't tell me what I was asking in the prior post. If you don't know that's ok. Basically, I was just asking for specifics.

Yeah, I've heard that. I really hope it's not true cause then I'm totally screwed.
    Alas, it is true, the drive boards are tied to the motherboard - for now, at least.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News