Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Unhappy [UnAnswered] Data recovery on Jailbroken PS3 help?

Sponsored Links
    I have a 60GB launch PS3 with FW3.41, and a 750GB internal HDD. I am unsure of whether it was the good or bad version of 3.41 (the one that causes issues with replaced HDDs) since I bought the PS3 used and didn't update it myself.

I was playing White Knight Chronicles this weekend and in the middle of a cutscene, the PS3 froze. I tried accessing the in-game xmb to quit the game or turn the system off, but it was unresponsive. Then I tried holding down the power button on the front and nothing happened, so finally I turned it off via the power in the back. Upon restart, it said that it needed to restore the filesystem, which failed and then it said that it needs to format, which I don't want to do since I would lose all of my saves.

I tried all of the options in the recovery menu besides formatting the hdd. I even tried upgrading to a known good version of 3.41, but the PS3 still says it needs to format before it can boot. Using the original 60GB hdd I can boot the PS3, including in jailbreak mode. Last night, I tried booting in jailbreak mode off the 60GB, launching the ftp program, waiting 5 minutes for the hdd to spin down, then hot swapping with the 750GB. I was able to ftp into the PS3 and access /dev_flash, but accessing /dev_hdd0 would cause my ftp client to freeze. When I pressed x to exit, the ps3 just hung. Tonight I'll try the hot swap again with the Awesome File Manager.

So my questions are:
    1. Is there any way to recover the savegame data? This is uncharted waters here since I don't think this has been done before. However with both HDD's keyed to the same working jailbreakable PS3, it should be possible. Some thoughts I had were a custom payload that bypasses the filesystem check, or getting the encryption keys from the PS3 somehow and accesing the disk on a PC.

2. How often does the PS3 randomly decide to delete ALL of your data? I have never seen such a blatent disregard for user data. I can't believe it corrupts everything when it freezes, and from forum posts I've been reading, the PS3 has been doing this for years.

3. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again, or do I need to take backups of my saves in the middle of gaming sessions forever? Could this be related to using the bad version of 3.41, or an unstable JB version?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is because you are using an UNSTABLE version of the PSJailbreak! I have the same problem. I also noticed the PS3 gets terribly slow when i go rapidly trough the XMB!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    What happened was it was writing to the allocation table when it froze. This is how PC drives crash as well. It's pretty rare that this can happen.

Think of it this way, when your writing to the disc, and it locks up, you get a corrupted file because it was unable to finish writing.

Now you have a section of the hard drive that stores where all the files are, what they're named, etc. If it locks up while writing to that area of the disc, you can lose everything.

I would say this was super bad luck, and probably not going to happen again.

Angry Data recovery on Jailbroken PS3

Apologies for the repost, but this question is not in any way answered despite the answered status, and depending on what I discover may eventually become news worthy. To elaborate, a few weeks ago the PS3 kept freezing and requiring formats of the HDD (the 60GB) while I was ftping data to it. After upgrading my jailbreak to the compilation payload before PL3, I had no freezes up until this incident, and so I thought I had fixed it by updating the payload.

There is something about either my configuration, jailbreaking in general, or the PS3 being poorly designed (or some combination) that is causing this to happen, and I think it is important for the scene to be able to recover from this and/or be able to prevent it. In response to the specific answer, I also don't think it was, or should have been writing to the allocation table during a cutscene. If it was, this is potentially a backup manager (and similar) bug.

I have a 60GB launch PS3 with FW3.41, and a 750GB internal HDD. I am unsure of whether it was the good or bad version of 3.41 (the one that causes issues with replaced HDDs) since I bought the PS3 used and didn't update it myself. I used Gaia manager RC9 with Rockbox and the compilation payload before PL3.

I was playing White Knight Chronicles this weekend and in the middle of a cutscene, the PS3 froze. I tried accessing the in-game xmb to quit the game or turn the system off, but it was unresponsive. Then I tried holding down the power button on the front and nothing happened, so finally I turned it off via the power in the back. Upon restart, it said that it needed to restore the filesystem, which failed and then it said that it needs to format, which I don't want to do since I would lose all of my saves.

I tried all of the options in the recovery menu besides formatting the hdd. I even tried upgrading to a known good version of 3.41, but the PS3 still says it needs to format before it can boot. Using the original 60GB hdd I can boot the PS3, including in jailbreak mode. Last night, I tried booting in jailbreak mode off the 60GB, launching the ftp program, waiting 5 minutes for the hdd to spin down, then hot swapping with the 750GB. I was able to ftp into the PS3 and access /dev_flash, but accessing /dev_hdd0 would cause my ftp client to freeze. When I pressed x to exit, the ps3 just hung. Tonight I'll try the hot swap again with the Awesome File Manager.

So my questions are:
    1. Is there any way to recover the savegame data? This is uncharted waters here since I don't think this has been done before. However with both HDD's keyed to the same working jailbreakable PS3, it should be possible. Some thoughts I had were a custom payload that bypasses the filesystem check, or getting the encryption keys from the PS3 somehow and accessing the disk on a PC.

2. How often does the PS3 randomly decide to delete ALL of your data? I have never seen such a blatant disregard for user data. I can't believe it corrupts everything when it freezes, and from forum posts I've been reading, the PS3 has been doing this for years.

3. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again, or do I need to take backups of my saves in the middle of gaming sessions forever? Could this be related to using the bad version of 3.41, or an unstable JB version?

I have merged and reopened this ongoing thread for you now..

Thanks boss

An update on a few things I've tried:

• I tried putting the hdd in an external enclosure, connecting it to the PS3, and accessing it via ftp or awesome manager. The drive did not show up anywhere.
    • Hot swapping with awesome manager, it caused the PS3 to hang when I accessed a folder that had not been cached.

A thought about how I have been hotswapping: I just replace the HDD with the ps3 on and inside the application. There is likely some initialization that happens when the PS3 is started that isn't happening here.

I think what I need to do to do a true hotswap would be to power the 750GB drive externally, connect it to the PS3, wait for it to spin down at the "This hdd needs to be restored" screen, turn off the PS3, disconnect data from the ps3. Start the PS3 with the 60GB hdd, start the application, and then swap the data cable. This would be similar to my method for upgrading xbox1 hdds.

Of course its possible that at this point my hdd's filesystem really is corrupted to the point it can't be read. I'll retest with a verified working hdd someday.

Lightbulb

You could try hooking the drive up to a pc (needs to connect to the motherboard not a usb adapter) and running spinrite on it.

you can get it from [Register or Login to view links]

I've used it to resurrect some dead looking drives before.

Thanks for recommending spinrite; I'm sure it will come in handy someday. Unfortunately, it does not work with PS3 hard drives. When starting up it shows the HDD as "No Data" and after starting it just stays at "Selecting Drive For Use..."

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News