Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[UnAnswered] convert old ps3 hard disk to external hd help?

Sponsored Links
    hi to all i recently bought a 500gb hd, now that the old one {80gb} is both out and in a 2.5 sata external case box, is there a way to convert this hd from ps3 to a normal one? i would like to use as storage data, but windows doesn't recognize it... any idea??

best regards
    thank you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Indeed there is but you'd neet to re-partition and reformat it. If you plan to use it with PS3 as well then you'd need to use a 3rd party sw tool to do so as windows is by default not capable of creating one large FAT32 partition on it. Look for Swissknife - very simple, free and easy to use tool. Keep in mind that all the PS3 data on that drive will be wiped out doing so. If you plan to us it jsut with your PC simply format it in NTFS. You'd need to access your disk managent first to create a valid partition on it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hi grandpa, i'm planing to use this hd for storage data only, all datas have been backuped before putting on the 2.5 external case, i don't now how to access it, cause swissknife is not working under win7 x64, any other idea?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i always use EASEUS partition master to format my drives. it works under WIN7 and the home edition is also free.

connect the external to the PC and start up the partition master and the ps3 formated drive will be recognized and you'll be able to format it any way you want. FAT, FAT32, NTFS.

Quote Originally Posted by dondolo View Post
    hi grandpa, i'm planing to use this hd for storage data only, all datas have been backuped before putting on the 2.5 external case, i don't now how to access it, cause swissknife is not working under win7 x64, any other idea?
    As said before - if you're planning to use it as external storage for Windows only just right click on the "Computer" link in the start menu and Select Manage - this will open the Computer Management tool window, then go to Storage, Disk management. You should see your disk there (in the bottom section only), just be sure to find the USB one and not to wipe the internal one of your PC / Laptop.

By Right click on the disk oe volume down there you'll get a context menus - you should be able to remove any current patition and then create new one. You might get prompted to Initialize disk as well. If you'll get lost you use the Windows built in help - it's failry easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by dondolo View Post
    hi grandpa
    LOL..

well when i put the box on the usb port, i hear a noise coming from the hd but it does not show up on the computer management windos, then i get the tip with: "driver installation fail"

This could be due to the insufficient power coming from the USB port - try another port, shorter USB cable (or simply another one) or if the external enclosure came with the dual USB plugs into the PC put both on.

Yeah, be sure you're using the USB cable which came with enclosing (it's short to avoid power loss) and be sure you're plugging HDD not on the USB Hub 9or rear or front PC's USB), but to the back, where the motherboard is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidusnake666 View Post
    Yeah, be sure you're using the USB cable which came with enclosing (it's short to avoid power loss) and be sure you're plugging HDD not on the USB Hub 9or rear or front PC's USB), but to the back, where the motherboard is.
    thanks to you, now i don't hear any noise, but, nothing shows up... all i have is an "Unkown Device"...

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News