Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

[Answered] Buying my first ps3 today - slim or phat?

Sponsored Links
    hi,

i'm purchasing my first ps3 today - big question is do i get a slim or a second hand phat one - what is the general consensus?

thanks

g0at

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    g0at, Depends on what you want to do.

Is backwards compatibility or running Linux important to you? The new slim models do not support either with native firmware and all slim models have hardware removed to play PS2 games.

A majority of users simply don't care about either feature - so for them, a slim PS3 is the best bet. Because there is less "stuff" inside, they run cooler and are generally less prone to problems caused by overheating (YLOD, problems w/blueray after firmware updates, etc. etc.).

If running Linux is someday important to you, it is entirely likely that eventually someone will defeat the firmware limitations to running Linux.

PS2 backwards compatibility is best left to hardware and the slims do not have this hardware inside (it has been removed) so it is unlikely that a firmware hack will cover all bases for backwards compatibility (BC).

In my opinion, if BC was important to you then save the premium for buying the older models and purchase a cheap 2nd hand PS2 along with the slim.

If official Linux support (or not willing to wait for a hacked fw update - may take a while) is important to you, then consider the older fat models.

Otherwise, (IMO) the slim is the most stable platform for running PS3 games.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    IŽd say phat. Don't trust slim stuff from sony ^^

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Buy an Xbox 360 or wii...

Don't trust sony and don't buy anything from them.

Lol? Not much differance unless you can get an really old one that plays ps2 games, but the lense doesn't last very long on them models. Best to get a slim, much less failure rates.

Quote Originally Posted by superste2201 View Post
    Lol? Not much differance unless you can get an really old one that plays ps2 games, but the lense doesn't last very long on them models. Best to get a slim, much less failure rates.
    that's not true about the phat ps3 that can play ps2 games, the laser do last long as i have one from 08 and its working fine.

Slim is more reliable, with the new update you cant use another OS anyway so there probably isnt much point to go for the older ones!

^ I wouldn't say that.

I have a fat 80gb (500gb drive installed though). I use the card readers quite a bit instead of having to stream via a media server. It's also nice having the four usb ports on the front. Also enjoy playing PS2 games on mine as well... just to name a few reasons for the fat.

doesn't matter anymore, the new updates took care of that.

but the 60gb version is still worth it.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News