Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Exclamation [Answered] Blu-ray drive Clicking Noise

Sponsored Links
    Need some help with this one. My friend gave me his 40 GB PS3 b/c of what happened to it. Here's the issue:

When I insert the game into the console, it makes a clicking noise and nothing happens. It didn't read the disk and basically nothing. I want to fix this myself without sending it to sony. I might as well spend the money in buying a new PS3.

Send me the links or help me out.
    Best Answer - Posted by imtoodvs:

CFWProphet is right, I'm pretty sure its the lens too.

the sensor on the slot tells the ps3 a disc was inserted but the lens cant read the data (that's the clicking noise your hearing). once you replace the lens, it should be good to go.

Personally, i'd rather have a YLOD than a busted lens (YLOD is cheaper to fix)

here's your part : http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATION-3-LASER-LENS-KEM-410ACA-DUAL-EYE-PS3-/170506471581?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27b2fa489d

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    have you tried cleaning the laser on the bd drive, also does the blue light in front of the ps3 come on when the disc is inserted. you may just need to replace the laser worst case scenario , its very common on 40gb PS3's.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks for responding back. once i inserted the disk the blue light blinks but does not stay on.

Sounds like a lense problem. The drive is still unopened? Some one other that played with it?

CFWProphet is right, I'm pretty sure its the lens too.

the sensor on the slot tells the ps3 a disc was inserted but the lens cant read the data (that's the clicking noise your hearing). once you replace the lens, it should be good to go.

Personally, i'd rather have a YLOD than a busted lens (YLOD is cheaper to fix)

here's your part : [Register or Login to view links]

THANKS AGAIN GUYS. I'm pretty new to this and have never opened a console before. I've done my research and hopefully I can do this. Any good tutorials out there? I mean I've found some good youtube videos but that should be good enough I guess. Oh what's YLOD?

Lightbulb

Search YouTube for user “junker15” awesome vids of PS3 Blu-ray drive diagnostic and repair.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by realdealneal View Post
    Oh what's YLOD?
    YLOD = Yellow Light Of Death on a PS3, similar to the infamous RROD (Red Ring Of Death) on an XBox 360.

Some more info on the PS3 YLOD: http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...of-death-ylod/

nice... those lights suck. I might have just found the problem. It must be the lens b/c when I moved the lens from its original position and turned it on the lens didn't move back. The clicking stopped but the disk doesn't spin.

Quote Originally Posted by realdealneal View Post
    nice... those lights suck. I might have just found the problem. It must be the lens b/c when I moved the lens from its original position and turned it on the lens didn't move back. The clicking stopped but the disk doesn't spin.
    Yes, that seems to be the lens. First thing drive-controller does after inserting a disk, is to try to focus the laser beam on the disk's reflective layer. The controller moves lens away from disk, switches on the laser and moves lense then towards the disk - until it focusses or hits the disk surface (that clicks). This procedure is done for the blue, red and infrared laser. Btw you should be able to visualize the infrared laser with your mobile cam.

However, my 2nd hand CECHH had the same problem, so i followed this guide:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-gu...ns-100237.html

until the lens and servo block was accessible. I literally washed it so that lens, prism, laser- and photodiodes were soaked with this cleanser:

[Register or Login to view links]

blowed it dry carefully 'by lungs' and left the drive in a warm place for 1h to let evaporate the cleanser. Drive worked perfectly again after re-assembly.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News