Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    What would really suck would be if this worked but we still got scrawed because they were able to detect the homebrew FTP app
    Last edited by neophyte5001; 09-11-2010 at 12:56 AM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by neophyte5001 View Post
    What would really suck would be if this worked but we still got scrawed because they were able to detect the homebrew FTP app
    Yeah lol I was actually thinking of doing the Ninja Tutorial on the PS3 FTP app. Might be a little bit overkill, and I kinda feel bad for doing it - the backup manager was created by a money making company, the PS3FTP is made by CJPC, so I feel rude for messing with his code; but if it protects me and gives us insight into how Sony detects consoles then I might do it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Trust me, CJPC wouldn't mind and would love to see talented folks like you jumping in. Right now he's working on something else, so for the moment anyway he's 'moved on' from the FTP app.

Is the file system for PS3 still encrypted in the sense that we can't read certain saved game files in a HEX editor? Will the jailbreak help with that at all?

Has anyone intercepted communication between PS3 and PSN network enough to know what they are able to see? Everyone keeps talking about them scanning the drive for things, reading log files, etc... This all assumes they have a backdoor into the system whenever you are on PSN. They may not, and they may simply be working off just what they read on the internet and doing the hacks themselves to figure out fixes... which also explains why they didn't just do a mass ban and attempt to nip this in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by fldash View Post
    Is the file system for PS3 still encrypted in the sense that we can't read certain saved game files in a HEX editor? Will the jailbreak help with that at all?

Has anyone intercepted communication between PS3 and PSN network enough to know what they are able to see? Everyone keeps talking about them scanning the drive for things, reading log files, etc... This all assumes they have a backdoor into the system whenever you are on PSN. They may not, and they may simply be working off just what they read on the internet and doing the hacks themselves to figure out fixes... which also explains why they didn't just do a mass ban and attempt to nip this in the bud.
    Usually with console systems it takes a while for the hammer to hit so to speak. With the Wii, it came in the form of plugging the Zelda save game exploit - it took them a while and a few updates to plug the hole.

With the Xbox360, that too took a while - I guess over the first few months they were checking logs and creating flag points - meaning key points in a system that doesn't seem right. ie DVD-Rom not connected - possible flag, Media doesn't contain proper sectors - possible flag. Over months of checking they were able to come up with a pretty good idea of people playing backups online. One day, it just happened. Right when thousands of people were playing the Halo 3 beta, people got banned. At the start, people thought they had come up with the perfect hack [the hackers and creators of the hack knew differently] - but consoles got banned. Only know - do they believe they have the best firmware for the drives [IXtreme Lite Touch] - but once MS get info on that firmware, then those firmwares might get detected.

No one knows how Sony will detect consoles. It might be a simple log -I think I might have started that theory, sorry if I did, which was only an assumption because people were thinking about file checks and complicated methods of detection. I can't see 200 little Japanese PC workers at Sony - downloading and scanning every single log of our consoles. It has to be an easier way - something that get flagged and caught consoles get flagged in red. One poor worker, sitting at a desk, tired and being prodded with a sharp stick, presses a simple button that flag your console for modification

So yes, it might be a log file, but that log file might be because you once booted the USB device, it might be the Content ID that you used originally that pointed to LAUN12345, it might be a check of the game vs backup from harddrive.

I know it's hanging around like a bad smell from the family dog (or from grandma) but as long as you use the Jailbreak device, stay offline, don't connect to the servers. Above all - the device was intended for homebrew, not really for backups [even though 98.4% (and yes I made that number up) will be using it for backups], so enjoy the awesome homebrew apps that will come soon.

To wet your appetite [can't confirm any of these - yep more theories], we will probably see Custom Firmware, Custom Update Firmware, DLC fixes, PS2 loader, Linux, Media players, Emulators and more. Unfortunately it's early stages, it's only been out for like 3 weeks, give it time. Within 6 months (hopefully less), we'll know how to prevent banning or have a better understanding of why the bans occur. Of course, there are going to be banned consoles, but if people sit tight, relax, play it cool, heck go play some Playstation 3 games, then things will be sweet

Oh I guess I should answer fldash question - oh umm. Not sure lol but with time things like reveal itself. Now that the door has been unlocked, we've know got the keys - in other words apps will be written, cleaver hackers are checking those things you mentioned. It's all about learning and it's really fresh.

Oh and thanks PS3News - Thanks for the OK. I look forward to CJPC new app when it's released!!!
    Last edited by Field; 09-11-2010 at 02:01 PM Reason: Merging a doublepost - thanking PS2News

I'm indeed being patient... I don't plan to try anything for quite a while even though I have an EVO which will allow me to JB already... I'm personally waiting for more homebrew than anything else even though I know the pirates will be the test bed for banned consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by fldash View Post
    I'm indeed being patient... I don't plan to try anything for quite a while even though I have an EVO which will allow me to JB already... I'm personally waiting for more homebrew than anything else even though I know the pirates will be the test bed for banned consoles.
    Oh I wasn't just implying you lol, sorry if that sounded like I was. Most people are expecting things to be done quickly, and not being rude or judgemental against them, as I too would love things to be hacked, then un-ban-able, but it's not a perfect world, and bans will occur. We'll learn from those mistakes, work out new methods, more ban, etc etc - a game of cat and mouse

You can probably jailbreak now, just be careful what you install, and never connect to the Sony servers - leave the network port unplugged even. Yes there might be a chance that a secret log file could be sent, other than the one we know about to date - in saying - if you're not in a rush, then yeah wait and see what happens. Some exciting homebrew apps are coming our way soon.

I'm new here, but I just successfully finished Field's Ninja Backup Manager tutorial using the MGS4 database pkg and have something to add. I hex edited all "GAMEZ" entries in EBOOT.BIN and replaced them with "VIDEO". I then renamed my "GAMEZ" folder on my external hd to "VIDEO". My logic here is that VIDEO is a folder on the PS3's hd and wouldn't stand out as much as GAMEZ does.

After making these changes, I created a new package and named it Ninja Backup Manager v2.pkg and installed it on the ps3. I launched it and it found my games in the VIDEO folder without any issue. I'm currently test ripping a backup (to /dev_usb003/VIDEO might I add), I'll let you know if it works when it's done. (Currently 83%)

Also, be VERY CAREFUL editing EBOOT.BIN and always make a backup. The other reason I used "VIDEO" as opposed to "GAME" is that "VIDEO" has the same number of letters as "GAMEZ", therefore same file size. I might try "GAME" and then hex 00 or 20 afterward, but I can't remember what to add to create an extra piece of dummy data. Anyway, if you want to hex edit "GAMEZ" to something else makes sure you know how to add that or keep it at five characters. Otherwise EBOOT.BIN won't compile with make_package_npdrm

Ok update to earlier. The whole backup process to the "VIDEO" folder instead of the "GAMEZ" completed without issue, it looks like this works. What I didn't get to work however was renaming "GAMEZ" to simply "GAME", another native ps3 hd folder. After replacing each GAMEZ entry with GAME (which removed five bytes from the file size in the process) I inserted 5 bytes. First in the middle just after the disclaimer text hoping to keep it within the area of the disclaimer text and the second time at the very end. Both times I created, installed, and ran the packages. The one with 5 bytes added in the middle locked up the ps3 while the one with 5 bytes at the end simply rebooted. It's getting late here and I'm wandering a little ways out of my territory with this stuff at this point so I'm calling it a night. I'm interested to hear what you guys think, I'll check back here when I get up tomorrow
    Last edited by e1ephant; 09-12-2010 at 04:57 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Some good points there. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I wondered how not using the full 5 letters would go. Another member of these forums used GDATA, which I thought was a good idea too. Interesting about the 5 bytes added. BTW did you manage to try just coping the EBOOT.BIN across and replacing the PSN EBOOT.BIN as described in this tutoral.

It's great that everyone is using the Ninja Backup Method, but curious to see if this new method is better, easier and more protective. Oh and thank you for trying a different game demo, I had fears that everyone would use The Last Guy, but most are trying different ones which is good to see. Thanks e1ephant.

Quote Originally Posted by e1ephant View Post
    I'm new here, but I just successfully finished Field's Ninja Backup Manager tutorial using the MGS4 database pkg and have something to add. I hex edited all "GAMEZ" entries in EBOOT.BIN and replaced them with "VIDEO". I then renamed my "GAMEZ" folder on my external hd to "VIDEO". My logic here is that VIDEO is a folder on the PS3's hd and wouldn't stand out as much as GAMEZ does.

After making these changes, I created a new package and named it Ninja Backup Manager v2.pkg and installed it on the ps3. I launched it and it found my games in the VIDEO folder without any issue. I'm currently test ripping a backup (to /dev_usb003/VIDEO might I add), I'll let you know if it works when it's done. (Currently 83%)

Also, be VERY CAREFUL editing EBOOT.BIN and always make a backup. The other reason I used "VIDEO" as opposed to "GAME" is that "VIDEO" has the same number of letters as "GAMEZ", therefore same file size. I might try "GAME" and then hex 00 or 20 afterward, but I can't remember what to add to create an extra piece of dummy data. Anyway, if you want to hex edit "GAMEZ" to something else makes sure you know how to add that or keep it at five characters. Otherwise EBOOT.BIN won't compile with make_package_npdrm

Ok update to earlier. The whole backup process to the "VIDEO" folder instead of the "GAMEZ" completed without issue, it looks like this works. What I didn't get to work however was renaming "GAMEZ" to simply "GAME", another native ps3 hd folder. After replacing each GAMEZ entry with GAME (which removed five bytes from the file size in the process) I inserted 5 bytes. First in the middle just after the disclaimer text hoping to keep it within the area of the disclaimer text and the second time at the very end. Both times I created, installed, and ran the packages. The one with 5 bytes added in the middle locked up the ps3 while the one with 5 bytes at the end simply rebooted. It's getting late here and I'm wandering a little ways out of my territory with this stuff at this point so I'm calling it a night. I'm interested to hear what you guys think, I'll check back here when I get up tomorrow
    Would you mind uploading your package for me to take a look at?

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News