Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question [Answered] 40GB PS3 blu-ray laser

Sponsored Links
    I bought a 40GB PS3 with 3.41 firmware for cheap ($50) off some guy because it could no longer read discs. As it turns out, it can't read blu-ray discs, but can read CD/DVD no problem. After taking it apart, I've found that it uses the dual lens style of laser.

What's strange to me is that when I put in a blu-ray, it spins up and I can see the blue laser light on the disc. The drive tracks back and forth and appears to be trying to refocus the laser. Usually it'll try to do this for a minute or more, but every once in awhile it tries for about 10 seconds and gives up.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone with experience replacing PS3 lasers could comment on this. Is it normal for the blue laser to still light up when it's defective, or could something else be wrong?
    Best Answer - Posted by SnoopDo2G:

maybe a cleaning of the lens will fix this ?

fast tutorial:

long tutorial:

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    That's by far the simplest repair in PS3, just look edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Blu-ray_Drive to determine your drive/lenses and search on ebay/google for them. Follow the Youtube videos and you'll have working PS3.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I know it's simple, but I'm not convinced the laser is the problem since I can see it on the disc. I was hoping to hear from someone who has seen this situation and can confirm that replacing will fix it (or not).

I don't really want to buy a replacement laser and find out the problem is elsewhere.

fast tutorial:

long tutorial:

Hmm, that's worth a try. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

mine too doesn't recognize any disk inside.. don't know about dvd or cd... but i'm going to try the method of Snoopdo2g tomorrow...

Registered User ProGrasTiNation's Avatar
    High i don't know if this helps but here it goes... exact same problem 2 years ago,my ps3 stopped reading Bluerays so i ring sony only to be told gonna cost you 150 for a refurb,so im like it can read dvd & cd so i think its a software problem & its your duty to give me a replacment for free!

they say no & very long story short i recieve KZ2 in the post that i had pre ordered months before.. LOL stuck it in the ps3 & bang it read it straight away.I was in shock & played it for a bit ofcourse.. but when i removed it & reinserted it it would not read it again.

so i was back on to sony which i was in contact with for weeks trying to get my free replacement, anyway i proceeded to telll my tail & closed by saying that i was going to replace the laser myself which will cost me less then your deal & prove its the software not the laser & low & behold they say alright you can have the refurb for the cost of P&P which was 15 quid.

LOL I'm sorry if this was not helpful but i'm sure its the firmwares fault the ps3s laser craps out important bit.. it was after a firmware update that my problems arose.. can't remember the number!
    Last edited by ProGrasTiNation; 09-16-2010 at 12:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopDo2G View Post
    It worked!! Thanks for the suggestion! +rep

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News