Confused [Answered] 3.55 black screen after format help?

Hi, I have a new hard drive, clean. A ps3 in 3.55 connected in HDMI. I put the new drive on ps3 (the drive have MBR). I booted the ps3 and a screen appears and say that the system software cannot work properly and it ask for update (with START + SELECT).
    I did it with a usb and ofw 3.55 firmware, checking OK.

A new screen with formatting confirmation (START + SELECT) hold for 5sec : formatting the drive OK (100%).

Then the ps3 seems to do something but from here I have no longer display, black screen. (TV dont show "NO SIGNAL") If I push the ps button, I can hear sounds when navigate in menu, I guess I'm on the licence agreement menu, before installing firmware.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix that ? Is my ps3 dead ?

Thank you

Banned User

try connecting tv with the ps3 normal avi cable and doing it from there

If you are changing cables or cannot see an image on the screen, you may need to reset the video output to default settings. To reset the video output:
    • While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button
      on the front of the system until the PS3 beeps a second time (approximately 5 seconds), then release it.
    • The PS3 will power up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display
      output settings of your TV/monitor).

Quote Originally Posted by G Sus View Post
    try connecting tv with the ps3 normal avi cable and doing it from there
    I did it from start with AVI cable, format goes to 100%, then reboot and black screen. And again if I push Ps button, I can hear menu sound (still stuck in agreement screen with no display)

thanks for your help

What happens when you put the old drive back in?

Quote Originally Posted by okynorch View Post
    Hi, I have a new hard drive, clean. A ps3 in 3.55 connected in HDMI. I put the new drive on ps3 (the drive have MBR). I booted the ps3 and a screen appears and say that the system software cannot work properly and it ask for update (with START + SELECT).
    I did it with a usb and ofw 3.55 firmware, checking OK.

A new screen with formatting confirmation (START + SELECT) hold for 5sec : formatting the drive OK (100%).

Then the ps3 seems to do something but from here I have no longer display, black screen. (TV dont show "NO SIGNAL") If I push the ps button, I can hear sounds when navigate in menu, I guess I'm on the licence agreement menu, before installing firmware.

Do you guys have any idea how to fix that ? Is my ps3 dead ?
    try to see with FTP, if on the drive has the files of 355 or not ?

(if it is a BLANK HDD, it's because you format the drive, and ofw 355 was not install to the drive)

Quote Originally Posted by windrider42 View Post
    What happens when you put the old drive back in?
    Old drive is dead.

I'm going to give a try with another drive I have.

Ok just tried with a new drive, still get no image back after the format finished.

Can it be caused by overheating ? I never opened it but I guess it's the last things I can do...

Have you tried the recovery menu by chance if you could get on there. Check out racer's thread if you think your PS3 is bricked or soft bricked. I think he may be able to fix it for you.