Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Unhappy [Answered] 160gb ps3 not backward compatible?

Sponsored Links
    hello all.

I have a ps3 160gb. why in the world wouldn't this be backward compatible? It just doesn't make sense.

thanks
    chichi420

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It is very likely that sony will be rolling out a fw update to enable some ps2 bc in console's that lack the hardware soon.

But yea, i never understood their decision to remove any of the ps2 hardware from the ps3... imho it was a poor choice

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    maybe cost-saving was their decision .... as I know

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by nightwish View Post
    maybe cost-saving was their decision .... as I know
    Yea that is what they said the ppl wanted... but seems for the most part the majority of ppl still wanted/want backward compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    Yea that is what they said the ppl wanted... but seems for the most part the majority of ppl still wanted/want backward compatibility.
    That maybe true. But I reckon if it wasn't for the omission of the backward compatibility, the PS3 is gonna cost an extra $100 than the current price, which is already quite expensive.

I was put off from buying PS3 in the first place due to that high crazy price. But after the price cut that was introduced after the omission and the recent game bundle, I was sold.

But I also still play PS2, albeit having to change the cable, etc. every time I change.

The software emulation is useless anyway, most good games play at a terrible framerate that makes you feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by nogginboy1 View Post
    The software emulation is useless anyway, most good games play at a terrible framerate that makes you feel sick.
    Or maybe it's just better than nothing.

And if the emulator code is all written, why doesn't Sony use them on all consoles? I just don't understand...

any ps3 with 2 usb ports is non-ps2 compatible. simple as that

lucky my ps3 has 4 ports and ps2 emulation

I'm actively looking for a hardware solution to the BS backward compatibility issue that sony created, but theres a lack of bricked PS3's with ps2emu to tear down and analyse.

I don't think for 1 second that sony did it to save money or make the console cheaper, they undoubtedly did it to keep peeps buying PS2 games and peripherals as well as to get in more PS3 sales to those unknowingly buying the unit without ps2emu that buy a second box that has ps2emu

Money is no object for an electronics giant like Sony and the purchase of bulk hardware to enable the ps2emu would cost nearly nothing to acquire from their IC manufacturer of choice (usually Samsung or Hitachi).

the people that Sony employs are not stupid people by any means and thinking so only makes one naive. they made a box that was originally advertised as being backward compatible with all Playstation media. well once the public was in 'The Know' they yanked the compatibility without so much as notifying the consumers of such a change, as well they dropped the internal flash memory readers in other models. NEITHER of which is stated on the box at the time of purchase, so you are stuck with what you get and thats just BS. Sony would not have changed the mainboard, that would be costly, they would just leave out the IC's or the entire circuit that enables the ps2emu and if the right person messed with the units, should be able to easily add whats missing and beat sony at their own game.

I have 2x80Gig here. Both bought at the exact same time, from the same store, same display, one on top of the other in the stack, with EXACTLY the same carton, yet they both carried different model numbers. 1 has ps2emu support and flash readers w/4USB slots, and the other has no ps2emu capabilities, no flash readers and only 2 USB slots. same price, different date of manufacture by less than a year (7 months).

I buy my electronics from the center of a full pallet (least likely to have shipping damage), and these weren't just tossed there by another customer, the pallet was packed this way, so what does that tell you about what sony has going on?

someone MAY have packed an old unit that was floating around at their main warehouse and I just happened to buy it, not many people buy multiple machines so they may have thought no one would notice, but I got it and it tells me a great deal about whats going on.
    Last edited by DigiMax; 02-08-2009 at 04:39 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News