Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

While we know the launch PS3s and the later ones are different - lacking the emotion engine - what is the difference between, say, the MGS4 Bundle PS3 which offered software backwards compatibility, and the other versions which only allow you to play PS1 games?

Is it just a firmware block that removes the perk, or are there more components removed on those models which disallow it?

that sucks that sony didnt keep bc

Hey,

I personally find it funny as to how people keep on telling others a patch is 'most likely' underway to enable backwards compatibility on newer ps3's.

Sony has always and continues to deny this and there has been NOTHING which could make us think otherwise.

This said, I am not all knowing and unless someones posts proof of the contrary I am open to all opinions

Banned User

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cedriclv View Post
    Hey,

I personally find it funny as to how people keep on telling others a patch is 'most likely' underway to enable backwards compatibility on newer ps3's.

Sony has always and continues to deny this and there has been NOTHING which could make us think otherwise.

This said, I am not all knowing and unless someones posts proof of the contrary I am open to all opinions
    Well it has been posted plenty check out the first post of this thread HERE.

As well as the fact that 40gb on some of the newer factory/service mode firmware also play ps2 games (and a video was posted). HERE.

sooo yea things were posted you just gotta read a lil more
    Last edited by idone; 02-13-2009 at 11:12 PM

160 gig

wow so you pay 500 bucks when you could pay 300 and not be able to play ps2 games? ridiculous

It's a strange sony's decision ...
    i Hope that a future exploit will be able to ability this function in all the ps3 ..

Well, in the future may be, but for now only older version ps3s can play ps2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by chichi420 View Post
    hello all.

I have a ps3 160gb. why in the world wouldn't this be backward compatible? It just doesn't make sense.

thanks
    chichi420
    Because Sony still wants us to buy the old PS2 instead play with ps3 backward compatibility, anyway ps2 systems won't be dead soon as many developers still make games for it. Why? because they sold about 140 units and many of us still buy ps2 games.In conclusion is all about money and marketing

Quote Originally Posted by squallnd View Post
    Well, in the future may be, but for now only older version ps3s can play ps2 games.
    Yeah. I was initially waiting for a price drop on the PS3, but when that did not happen and realized that the newer versions were not backwards compatible I decided to buy a used 60GB PS3 that had the hardware necessary to play PS2 games. I purchased it, in not working condition, for about $350, installed a laser and have been up and running since December '08.

Today, I'm glad I purchased the used, older version with PS2 compatibility, even if it cost me about the same as a brand new PS3, after the purchase of the laser. If you are still looking to purchase a PS3, get the version with the hardware built into the board. It will be more reliable.

on all the new ps3 they removed the ps2 code reading device so they can drop the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12