Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hey all. I actually just found out that the infectus forums are closed. Thats bs. The infectus is great, too bad the idiot behind it decided to jump ship for whatever reason.

I'm actually just getting into the PS3 scene, and I was wondering if anyone had dumped the flash from the infectus or has figured out downgrading it yet?

If not, I'm going to buy another infectus and dump it using my current one and use it so I can switch back and forth whenever I need to.

But since I am going to look into it I might as well ask what other people know about doing this.

Sponsored Links

Arrow

Sponsored Links
    There are a lot of old threads on the Infectus, but some quick info:
    • Oscar/HardStore did make a post awhile back on their boards, basically they bailed as a result of legal pressure from Sony.

• The Infectus only works on PS3 Firmware under version 2.20, so anything more recent is useless with Infectus sadly.

• Many have (2-3 years ago) dumped their flash via Infectus here, however, only a dump from the same console can be restored on it... meaning that if User #1 dumps it and User #2 wants to downgrade his PS3 with User #1's Infectus dump it isn't possible unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    sounds like Sony and IBM made the PS3 airtight. no known exploits yet other than the impossible GeoHot one.

the only thing that really stinks about the infectus is that basically no documentation of it survived the mod-chip is shrouded in mystery to anybody who hadn't worked with it prior to OFW2.20, the forum is closed down and doesn't allow us to access any of the information of the people who actually work with it so all of the knowledge that was found out about the ps3 and mostly only discussed there in the infectus official forums is lost to us...

i guess the death of the Infectus shows how far Sony will go to maintain security on of the ps3, shut down the chip then burn the information so that nobody will be able to reassemble the pieces and hack their "UNHACKABLE" system.

Lightbulb

A quick search shows that forum messages are still available in search engine caches also.

Lightbulb

Maybe internet archive (waybackmachine) has a cache of it also?

Quote Originally Posted by is0mick View Post
    Maybe internet archive (waybackmachine) has a cache of it also?
    it is not only the information that we need we need a dedicated community that can work with the code and work to further development... when there forums were taken down it kinda destroyed that community... that's the real problem, the few still working on it are very isolated and don't have a commune of sorts to share there info with an open public.

Quote Originally Posted by laggmaster View Post
    the only thing that really stinks about the infectus is that basically no documentation of it survived the mod-chip is shrouded in mystery to anybody who hadn't worked with it prior to OFW2.20, the forum is closed down and doesn't allow us to access any of the information of the people who actually work with it so all of the knowledge that was found out about the ps3 and mostly only discussed there in the infectus official forums is lost to us...
    To be honest, having now got an FPGA evaluation kit from elsewhere, I think it'll be more useful than the infectus.

Also, I reverse engineered a circuit diagram of the board and was shocked to discover that the 5V NAND is partially driven by 3.3V on a couple of the lines and some of the lines they suggest connecting to the 3.3V only flash on the PS3 are connected to the 5V bank on the FPGA. I'm glad I never actually connected it to the PS3 now...

Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    To be honest, having now got an FPGA evaluation kit from elsewhere, I think it'll be more useful than the infectus.
    Can you provide a link to the evaluation board?
    Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    Also, I reverse engineered a circuit diagram of the board and was shocked to discover that the 5V NAND is partially driven by 3.3V on a couple of the lines and some of the lines they suggest connecting to the 3.3V only flash on the PS3 are connected to the 5V bank on the FPGA. I'm glad I never actually connected it to the PS3 now...
    So it's even worse than i thought. However with the infectus circuit diagram you could do proper wiring to the FLASHes, but you would have to exchange the A3P060 with a brand new device since once an encryption key is programmed for the device, it can never be reset to an empty factory one.

I'll try to hook up an own circuit with a PIC18F4550 that I've flying around here supported by some data latches to build the address bus.

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Can you provide a link to the evaluation board?
    This is the one I've got, mostly because it's pretty cheap: [Register or Login to view links]

The igloo FPGA is functionally equivalent to an A3P250 (and so pin compatible with the A3P060 and A3P125 in the infectus) but isn't 5v tolerant. The evaluation board is powered from USB and can provide 1.2v, 1.5v, 2.5v or 3.3v. Plus the evaluation board comes with a lot more IO lines than the infectus.

There's also a built in USB-serial chip, so I was actually thinking the whole thing could be turned into a USB dongle + single wire connection to the PS3 for the geohot exploi where the exploit program tells the FPGA to pulse via the serial connection. It wouldn't even need a ground connection to motherboard as we would already have PS3's ground via the USB port.

Also, personally, I don't think there's all that much need for the onboard flash on the infectus, certainly not for a "simple" operation of just reading/writing flash and dumping it via the serial connection.

Only problem I've found so far is that the programmer driver doesn't work with 64-bit windows, so I'm just waiting until I re-install 32-bit windows on a spare machine.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News