Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

What is the next step to run own apps on the PS3?

Sponsored Links
    Well I joined this forum yesterday and read many interesting articles. But one major question did leave;
    What tasks needs to be done in order to let a retail PS3 FW run our own applications.

From what I have read, the Hypervisor ([Register or Login to view links]) blocks unsigned code.

The Hypervisor seems not to be checking code on the TEST Firmware. Another article related to the Hypervisor (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...my-102022.html) shows that the Hypervisor is controlled by some sort of config file (flag) which is encrypted.

Another question I have, regarding this matter is if the different Hypervisor modes have some disadvantages. I heard the TEST FW cannot run Blu-Ray movies. This should be on account of the Hypervisor mode since the software is pretty identical (like stated in the article).

The next question I, a noob in this scene with low ASM knowledge, have is wether I can just load the firmware.pup in IDA and start to explore the FW's functions or not.

Recently I stumbled over the Backup Loader article and I would like to know if this loader needs to read some data from the game files in order to launch the backup or if it already can load all backups. Also which format can the Backup Loader read yet?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by xhugox View Post
    Well I joined this forum yesterday and read many interesting articles.
    But one major question did leave;
    What tasks needs to be done in order to let a retail PS3 FW run our own applications.
    Well you should read more carefully next time. Retail units are configured in a way that they only run signed code. Unless this security is broken or someone gets access to the signing key (which Sony guards very strictly I am sure) there is no chance for running "your applications". At least not directly from PS3 XMB - you can run whatever you want from Linux (or any other OS) installed on PS3 but that is constricted by hypervisor (i.e. no access to RSX, only 6 out of 8 SPUs)

From what I have read, the Hypervisor ([Register or Login to view links])
    blocks unsigned code. The Hypervisor seems not to be checking code on the TEST Firmware. Another article related to the Hypervisor (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...my-102022.html) shows that the Hypervisor is controlled by some sort of config file (flag) which is encrypted.
    And the question is? Because you cannot sign binaries, you cannot run them. Because you don't have signing (encryption) key, you cannot write those flags (read something about encryption).

Another question I have, regarding this matter is if the different Hypervisor modes have some disadvantages.
    I heard the TEST FW cannot run Blu-Ray movies. This should be on account of the Hypervisor mode since the software is pretty identical (like stated in the article).
    The limitation is purely in software - i.e. appropriate functions are just disabled. It has nothing to do with hypervisor.

The next question I, a noob in this scene with low ASM knowledge, have is wether I can just load the firmware.pup in IDA and start to explore the FW's functions or not.
    No because the files encrypted and guess what - nobody besides Sony has decryption keys. These are stored in every PS3 but as you read the aforementioned article about CELL security, you should understand there is no easy way to get them.

Recently I stumbled over the Backup Loader article and I would like to know if this loader needs to read some data from the game files in order to launch the backup or if it already can load all backups. Also which format can the Backup Loader read yet?
    Read above for some (there's more) reasons this is not (yet) possible.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Read above for some (there's more) reasons this is not (yet) possible.
    Would just like to make it clear that the backup loader does in fact work fine, however, it only works on a Development Console, not a retail unit!

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Would just like to make it clear that the backup loader does in fact work fine, however, it only works on a Development Console, not a retail unit!
    You're right - I was however referring to retail units which most of us have. And before someone asks (and doesn't deduce it from the above) - because we cannot sign the binary with retail keys it is impossible to use this loader on retail machines...

So installing a Test firmware on a retail console wont help? Is the hardware different on a Development Console?

Development Console= Retail Console with test firmware?

Because you don't have signing (encryption) key, you cannot write those flags
    It is depending on how the encryption is, e.g. if the part which is configuring the hypervisor, is the same on all test firmwares, you can just copy the right code and place it in the retail firmware.

I would like to know if this loader needs to read some data from the game files in order to launch the backup or if it already can load all backups. Also which format can the Backup Loader read yet?

Arrow

So installing a Test firmware on a retail console wont help? Is the hardware different on a Development Console?

Development Console= Retail Console with test firmware?
    Correct, it won't help for the time being as it will only show you the Debug menu options but they won't function.

The hardware is identical, it's only the software that differs. This is covered in the 'PS3 Development News' sideblock articles on the main page, as well as detailing the detection bit flags that the PS3 Devs feel (based on their research) is a reason why we can't just install fully functioning Debug Firmware on a Retail PS3 console.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    One question about this: someone have make a test with the giulio exploit (pkg injection with the backup tool of PS3 if i good remember) ?

maybe it work like this ?

So just to clarify this; We can only run unsigned code on a full debug console.
    A retail PS3 with a debug FW does not run unsigned.

So just to clarify this; We can only run unsigned code on a full debug console.
    A retail PS3 with a debug FW does not run unsigned.
    It's stated in about 20 other threads, but to answer once more: correct. A Retail PS3 with Debug Firmware only show the menu options, they don't function and it cannot run unsigned code. Only real Debug consoles can.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News