Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: PS3 TEST BD-Emulator in Action & More!

Sponsored Links
    We have had quite a few requests as to how the BD-Emulator on a PS3 TEST console works, and thought the best way to show how it works is through a video!

After formatting a USB HDD (in this case, a 500GB EIDE Drive hooked to the PS3 via an old USB CDROM enclosure) in the PS3, it is transferred to a PC. Once transferred, a properly decrypted, patched and remastered retail game is written to the drive. The drive is then plugged back in via USB to the PS3 TEST, while off.

The Drive is then turned on, followed by the PS3. Once the PS3 is on the BD-Emulator is set to USB. DEV is for a PS3 TOOL, which has an additional internal HDD for BD-Emulator purposes, and BD Drive is self explanatory. The PS3 then gets rebooted.

Upon reboot is where the video starts, it first shows the previous settings in the PS3, and then the game that was remastered, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is started from BD-Emulator. The BD-Emulator is transparent to the PS3 system, it is accessed and used just like any normal Blu-ray disc is.

The game is then started to the title screen, then is quit and exited back to XMB. Since it works just like a Blu-ray Disc, the BD-Emu isn't much to look at, but it does work great!

On another interesting subject, a resident PS3 Dev has successfully reversed the Debug Disc Layer of encryption, and extracted the Debug Encryption key. Unfortunately, as expected PS3 Retail discs use a different key. He calculated that it would take forever times infinity to pop the Retail key, as there are 2 ^ 128 possible keys.

Precisely, he also wrote a brute forcer for the same kind of key for XBox 360 and got it up to 2 million keys/second, and worked out it would *only* take 5395141535403007094485264.577495 years to guess it.

Even if we got 1 million people working on it full time, you could only divide that number by 1,000,000 so still a HUGE number indeed. :p

Later this week we will share our current progress with the 1.00 Debug Firmware, stay tuned!

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sorry for bumping this old but interesting thread but, there's something I'd like to know about the Kane & Lynch. What was more or less the procedure of patch and remastering? If that information can't be revealed for further research, it's ok :P

Greets to the DEV team, keep on going.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, think back to any other game. Remove extra languages (movies, sounds, text), relink a few unnecessary giant movies, and then use an unencrypted executable to run the game!

The last part gets a bit interesting, but aside from that it's just like how one would rip any PS2 game!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hello,

interesting post it is but i have one question :

i have make some search on the web and i need to have a precision

the bd emulator what you talk is for the dev kit or the console test ?

it's because i have see a video on youtube where a hardware work with bd emulator, but don't know if it's a console or dev kit

thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Brain View Post
    the bd emulator what you talk is for the dev kit or the console test ?
    It only works with a PS3 Debug/TEST console... you can see the Debug menu options if you install Debug Firmware on a Retail console, but they are non-functional.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    It only works with a PS3 Debug/TEST console... you can see the Debug menu options if you install Debug Firmware on a Retail console, but they are non-functional.
    ho, ok, interesting
    argh ! now i'm curious and i want to test it
    how i can found process to test because i have two ps3

- one in 2.50
    - one in 2.00 (in case when a CFW like PSP is possible)

and it's possible to back to 2.00 official if i install a debug firmware ?

thanks

Banned User
    Yes if you install debug firmware you will be able to revert back to a retail firmware, but only a higher version, you will not be able to get back to 2.00.

The thing is though (as PS3 News stated) if you install debug firmware, the options you can see in the menu will not function... so you wouldn't be able to test the bd-emulator.

hope this clears things up for you.

Really insteresting thread. Since ps3news is the only website with information about PS3 Dev stuff, I think it would be great if Devs like CJPC make a step by step BD-Emulator tutorial for PS3 TEST owner.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, think back to any other game. Remove extra languages (movies, sounds, text), relink a few unnecessary giant movies, and then use an unencrypted executable to run the game!

The last part gets a bit interesting, but aside from that it's just like how one would rip any PS2 game!
    hey i just have a quick question...

was removing the extra stuff actually part of getting it to work? or did it simply serve to reduce the file size and the unencrypted executable was the key?

Lightbulb

I believe he just meant to reduce the size... the extras don't need to be ripped in order to get it working. He did it a lot when they were first testing as it saved time on their patching trial and error sessions from what I recall.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News