Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: PS3 Linux on Kmeaw CFW 3.55 Custom Firmware

Sponsored Links
    While graf_chokolo is busy working on returning PS3 OtherOS to the PlayStation 3 entertainment system and posting updates of his progress along the way, kmeaw shared a video of PS3 Linux on PlayStation 3 CFW 3.55 Custom Firmware today alongside AsbestOS Installer v0, v1 (for Fat PS3's), v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, v1.4, v1.5 and LV2 Patcher v9.

Download: AsbestOS Installer v0 for PS3 / AsbestOS Installer v1 for PS3 / AsbestOS Installer v1.1 for PS3 / AsbestOS Installer v1.2 for PS3 (Fat) / AsbestOS Installer v1.2 for PS3 (Slim) / AsbestOS Installer v1.3 for PS3 (Slim) / AsbestOS Installer v1.4 for PS3 (Slim) / AsbestOS Installer v1.5 for PS3 (Slim) / AsbestOS Installer v1.5 for PS3 (Release) / Kmeaw PS3 LV2 Patcher v9 (required) / [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #1) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #2) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #3) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #4) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #5) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #6) / [Register or Login to view links] / PS3 LV1 Dumper

This tool installs AsbestOS, which can be used to boot Linux kernel from lv2patcher v9. Thanks to marcan for AsbestOS, Mathieulh and graf_chokolo for default.spp trick, geohot for dev_flash mount code. Thanks to jbc for testing and KingDong for the icon You would need to set up a DHCP, TFTP and NFS servers on your LAN to make it work. Wireless connection is not supported by AsbestOS yet. Have fun.

Here is what kmeaw had to say about it via IRC:

kmeaw: [Register or Login to view links]
    kmeaw: it is gentoo
    kmeaw: marcan's rootfs
    stuntcock: does your linux install have access to gameos from within linux and also to all spus?
    kmeaw: no
    kmeaw: it doesn't need usb stick
    kmeaw: linux has access to all spus
    kmeaw: gentoo is running from my laptop's hdd
    kmeaw: but if you change your kernel parameters then you can install it on ps3's hdd like marcan did
    Lush: is this a different approach than graf_chokolo?
    kmeaw: i don't change VFLASH
    GraFfiX: kmeaw:does X launch?
    kmeaw: haven't tried yet but I think of a reason why it shouldn't
    kmeaw: Xfbdev will definitely work
    kmeaw: in this video ps3 boots gentoo from the network via nfs
    kmeaw: laptop's harddrive partition is exported using nfs kernel server
    GraFfiX: is nfs efficient?
    GraFfiX: like speed-wise
    kmeaw: yes, i have a home NAS exported via nfs
    kmeaw: works faster for me than samba
    kmeaw: there are no full support for rsx yet
    kmeaw: s/are/is/
    GraFfiX: kmeaw:do you see any reason why xbmc would not run when we have full rsx?
    stuntcock: someone has to code a driver for the video
    stuntcock: right
    kmeaw: no
    kmeaw: when we have full rsx support in linux drivers, then everything should work
    kmeaw: i have released asbestos installer
    kmeaw: however, it will need some network services configured (DHCP, TFTP and NFS) to make it work
    kmeaw: see marcan42's [Register or Login to view links] for more information
    kmeaw: note that asbestos requires lv2 patcher v9
    kmeaw: it won't work with v8
    kmeaw: [Register or Login to view links] - debian squeeze with lxde graphical environment, bootable from usb disk on a ps3
    kmeaw: latest version is v1.2
    kmeaw: it can work without ethernet cable at all
    kmeaw: however it still supports ethernet booting for developers that would like to experiment with their own kernel builds

How to Install AsbestOS via Debian

1. install AsbestOS installer v1 or higher
    2. partition a USB disk to have at least one partition (FAT-formatted);
    3. unpack linux.img ([Register or Login to view links] or [Register or Login to view links]) and put it into the root dir of usb disk;
    4. run AsbestOS installer;
    5. install lv2 patcher v9 or higher
    6. attach an ethernet cable, connected to a network with a dhcp-server (just for the initial boot, it can be a SOHO router - just anything with DHCP);(NO LONGER NECESSARY IN ASBESTOS 1.2+)
    7. run lv2 patcher and select "Linux";
    8. as you see the fb console with penguins, you can unplug the ethernet cable;(NO LONGER NECESSARY IN ASBESTOS 1.2+)
    9. login: ps3, password: ps3.

If you don't see anything, press Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Alt-F7.

Marcan Guide to Running Gentoo Linux on PS3
    ubuntu-desktop% sudo apt-get install dhcp3-server tftpd-hpa nfs-kernel-server

[Register or Login to view links] = rootfs
    [Register or Login to view links] = kernel image and modules

extract rootfs into /mnt/experimental:
    % sudo mkdir -p /mnt/experimental
    % sudo tar -C /mnt/experimental -xvpf /path/to/gentoo-ps3-20101020.tar.bz2

then copy 2.6.36-rc7-01073-g47a9595-dirty from ps3linux.tar.gz into /mnt/experimental/lib/modules.

Set up the DHCP server. Put this in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf:

option domain-name "example.org";
    option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;
    default-lease-time 600;
    max-lease-time 7200;
    ddns-update-style none;
    authoritative;
    log-facility local7;
    subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.2.128 192.168.2.250;
    }
    next-server 192.168.2.1;
    filename "kboot.conf";
    option routers 192.168.2.1;

Set up your wired network interface (eth0) to have a static IP address "192.168.2.1".

Copy vmlinux file into /var/lib/tftpboot.

add this line to /etc/exports (requires root privs):

/mnt/experimental 192.168.0.0/16(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,anonui d=0,anongid=0)

Then everything is done. Let's start up the services:

% sudo service tftpd-hpa restart
    % sudo service dhcp3-server restart
    % sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart

Create a kboot.conf file in /var/lib/tftpboot with this line inside:

linux='vmlinux video=ps3fb:mode:2 root=/dev/nfs rw ip=dhcp nfsroot=192.168.2.1:/mnt/experimental panic=5'

That's all. Run Linux from lv2patcher v9 and see if it boots.

Video: PS3 Linux on Kmeaw CFW 3.55 Custom Firmware

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't suppose nVidia made Linux drivers for the 7800GTX... if there were any that should help.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Awesome He could do something to boot this up from a USB flash drive.

he's so INCREDIBLY dutch! "shmoke and a pancake?"

that'll be great to xmbc on it with FULL support... it's nice to see hackers are giving back unlike Sony taking features away lol

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    I don't suppose nVidia made Linux drivers for the 7800GTX... if there were any that should help.
    [Register or Login to view links]

GeForce 7 series:
    7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i, 7050 / nForce 620i, 7100 GS, 7150 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 7350 LE, 7650 GS, 7800 GS, 7300 SE / 7200 GS, 7800 GTX, 7900 GT/GTO, 7800 GT, 7050 PV / NVIDIA nForce 630a, 7950 GT, 7800 SLI, 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 7600 LE, 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a, 7600 GS, 7900 GTX, 7300 LE, 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 620i, 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i, 7150M /NVIDIA nForce 630M, 7950 GX2, 7600 GT, 7500 LE, 7300 GS, 7000M /NVIDIA nForce 610M, 7900 GS, 7300 GT

I updated the first post with the AsbestOS Installer now as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sometime ago, Mr Gatz85 and Cael released a hybrid loader for AsBestOs, which will allow one to boot linux through nfs. This is the introduction of that package:
    This a AsbestOS Linux bootloader that runs off of the PS3 Lv-2 exploit. It is designed to boot on PS3 systems running System Software version 3.41, though it could be adapted to earlier versions. Linux runs on the GameOS partition, thus having the same access to hardware that GameOS has. This code is experimental and is intended for those who have a 16KB USB dongle and no possibility to launch asbestOS in other form. It also requires you to be using Hermes' 4vB payload.
    I have been waiting that someone would release a loader for 3.55 CFW. Hope kmeaw will release a loader soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I updated the first post with the AsbestOS Installer now as well.
    That was fast. I will grab a copy and take a look.
    Last edited by dynmosaic; 02-04-2011 at 11:34 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Arrow

I am still adding to the first post, be sure to grab Kmeaw PS3 LV2 Patcher v9 as kmeaw's AsbestOS Installer won't work with v8 he said.

installing gentoo..

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News