Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    All of the launch consoles could,...later it was taken out of the more recent models.....but it's looking more and more like they will be adding it back through software emulation.
    Wikipedia ([Register or Login to view links]) claims that 60GB PAL and 80GB NTSC models from 2007 do the PS2 backward compatibility purely in software (as opposed to older 20GB and 60GB NTSC models that have Emotion Engine). That leads me to belive nothing stops it from working on all later models apart from Sony's decision to enable it...
    Last edited by RexVF5; 01-27-2009 at 07:13 PM

Sponsored Links

Compatibility with all PS2 games?

Sponsored Links
    Is this going to be an application or a patch for the PS3's OS? Does anybody know if this will work with the oldest ps2 games?

Thanks for all your help guys.. The work you do in this site is amazing!

Sponsored Links

couple of questions for you...

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    It is real, however it was never "activated". That unit is a Factory/Service mode system, which are somewhat different from Retail PS3's. They can run without a hard disk drive, and do other "interesting" things, like play PS2 games via the emulator!
    Hi CJPC;

can i ask you since you say its real, have you tested it? can you tell us about any more of the "interesting" things a service mode ps3 can do? do you know how long this 100% software emulation has been in the firmware? (like what version it started appearing?)

if you could answer any of those it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    GT-X
    Last edited by gtxboyracer; 01-27-2009 at 08:26 PM

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Wikipedia ([Register or Login to view links]) claims that 60GB PAL and 80GB NTSC models from 2007 do the PS2 backward compatibility purely in software (as opposed to older 20GB and 60GB NTSC models that have Emotion Engine). That leads me to belive nothing stops it from working on all later models apart from Sony's decision to enable it...
    The pal60gb and first ntsc 80gb still had the "Graphics Synthesizer" chip... later it was removed in the 40gb and newer 80gb us consoles, thus killing BC..

So there has never been a retail PS3 that ran ps2 games through "pure software" despite what wiki says... wiki is a good place for info... but then there's that edit button anyone can push!

Unhappy Heres this...

On the Koalition, via here: http://www.thekoalition.com/sony-no-plans-to-bring-back-backwards-compatibility/

It states that Sony wont be making a Emulator Update like we all thought.

so that 40 gig is and the earlier retail models are and will be the only ones to play PS2 games...

Lots of mainstream media sites (IGN, GameSpot, MCV, Gamasutra, etc) have said otherwise... no offense, but TheKoalition is not even in the top million (let alone 100,000) rank of sites so their credibility is essentially zilch in the Internet world.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Lots of mainstream media sites (IGN, GameSpot, MCV, Gamasutra, etc) have said otherwise... no offense, but TheKoalition is not even in the top million (let alone 100,000) rank of sites so their credibility is essentially zilch in the Internet world.
    Lol, well at least theirs one less website ill go to and other people too. i stumbled on this looking for news on the emulator for the PS3.

So maybe their is still hope for us all

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    Hi CJPC;

can i ask you since you say its real, have you tested it? can you tell us about any more of the "interesting" things a service mode ps3 can do? do you know how long this 100% software emulation has been in the firmware? (like what version it started appearing?)

if you could answer any of those it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    GT-X
    Ok it is real, the creator of the video is DemonHades he is a Dev here on the forums, so you can be assured it is real.

will there be another proof or something like that? is there any way i can get my retail PS3 into factory mode?

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    There is no way "yet" to restore retail fw on these.

All of the launch consoles could,... later it was taken out of the more recent models... but it's looking more and more like they will be adding it back through software emulation.
    I do have right now a PS3 in service mode that can run without a Hard drive.. no way of getting back to the retail firmware?

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News