Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    Well siggy for starters we already can play ps1 and ps2 backups on the ps3, the only drawback is you have to make a hole literally on the top cover of your ps3 or have it open all the time. This is done with the swap magic disc. Theres also a mod with a switch to eject the drive so you can close the ps3 but some people have reported that this mod can kill your BD drive.

The goal here is just to make a mod chip so you dont have to open or cut a hole in the cover of your ps3, making your ps3 believe the disc is still inside, eject avoiding the reset and running the ps1 or ps2 backup. It can be done in my opinion in a couple of weeks since its like I said not the titanic effort to hack the security, all the validations are there and its more a hardware fool.
    Yeah Adrianc1982, I already do this anyway, but for me hack the bd-drive need to fool the XMB and related check and unfortunately the XMB firmware update will update also the firmware of the bd-reader so.. if this mod will hurt $ony probably a update with the new firmware with the patch for the bd-reader will be released soon.

this is my opinion anyway.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is a nice idea, maybe it would be easier or possibly more practical to have a mod chip instead of trying for a custom firmware.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Whoa.. i've thought it's done already

Actually it seems very easy to do and hard/impossible to detect by the fw: as the boot-discs go idle and allow to swap, all you you need to do is disable/take over the loading-mechanism's sensors, stop the disc's spin (cut the power of the spindle motor /while faking a spinning signal/), take over the loading motor, and eject. Then load the disc, un-fake the "tray"-sensors, and finally switch on the spindle by releasing it's "possession" (it may be possible to detect the rapid change in speed, but it also can have other causes -- banning by it is a very bad idea).

For do it i recommend the avr/atmega microcontrolers over pic as these are cheep too but for programming, you only need an lpt port and a few resistors. The ps3 mod maybe need some external components too (latches, gates, ..etc)

I'm surprised no one mentionned it: The only possibility a modchip would offer, is the ability to play backups, right? And in order to use those backups, you would need to have a blu-ray burner and blank blu-rays... Downloading a 25Gig game is one thing, putting it on an optical disk is another!

I know Burners are getting cheaper everyday, still, I don't see it coming to my house until 3 or 4 years. Firstly, because of the price. Secondly, because except using it a a backup burner for Ps3, I have no other use for a blu-ray burner.

I thought that if everyone was looking for a CFW, it was because of those limitations. To avoid the need of a blu-ray burner, and avoid those lonely moments of "Damn it that game doesn't work! Was it badly burned? Or badly donwloaded?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderkik View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentionned it: The only possibility a modchip would offer, is the ability to play backups, right? And in order to use those backups, you would need to have a blu-ray burner and blank blu-rays... Downloading a 25Gig game is one thing, putting it on an optical disk is another!

I know Burners are getting cheaper everyday, still, I don't see it coming to my house until 3 or 4 years. Firstly, because of the price. Secondly, because except using it a a backup burner for Ps3, I have no other use for a blu-ray burner.

I thought that if everyone was looking for a CFW, it was because of those limitations. To avoid the need of a blu-ray burner, and avoid those lonely moments of "Damn it that game doesn't work! Was it badly burned? Or badly donwloaded?"
    Sorry, this thread about PS1 and/or PS2 backups only. It has little to do with bd and PS3-games. It's like a bone thrown to the hungry audience till some more useful happens

Hey, at least this is something!

Oh ok I understood it was for Ps1 and ps2 but for Ps3 games as well. Sorry about that. ^^

The whole thread makes much more sense to me now

Wouldn't an approach like the ones used during Ps1 and Ps2 eras be the most likely to work ones? Like updating (in a physical way of course) those older chips in order to work with the Ps3's architecture. I suppose that would work with backward compatible Ps3s but not the others, at least for Ps2 games.

Anyway, good luck with this project.

Question

Would the modchip allow for non bc ps3s to play ps2 games or only ps1 games for those ps3s?

Quote Originally Posted by tjay17 View Post
    Would the modchip allow for non bc ps3s to play ps2 games or only ps1 games for those ps3s?
    I don't think it would. My understanding, the firmware used by the slims doesn't actually have the emulator code that the fats do when playing ps1/2 disc based games.

The ps1 games you download actually have the emulator code within them. So basically, the ps3 just sees it as a "game" it's running like any other game you download, but the internal code makes it an emulator that plays the ps1 game.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pretikewl View Post
    I don't think it would. My understanding, the firmware used by the slims doesn't actually have the emulator code that the fats do when playing ps1/2 disc based games.

The ps1 games you download actually have the emulator code within them. So basically, the ps3 just sees it as a "game" it's running like any other game you download, but the internal code makes it an emulator that plays the ps1 game.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    I don't think you're right!

I think right answer is , PSONE games that will be playable on PS3 SLIM is actually "Special" Built games, that are recognized for CELL Processor and PS3 SLIM/FAT (without emulator support) at all!

I'm anyway really courious to see the development of this project and see the results , nowdays PS3 is going to almost the 4 years of UNTOUCHED LIFE it's really pity but, stay to this new console I think that life for hackers is going hard year after year unfortunately for us and for the same company ($ony) because i don't think that PS3 will reach PS2 and PS1 in selling terms.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News