Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: P3J Review: PS3 JIG USB Development Board in Action

Sponsored Links
    While working on PS3 Acid I came in contact with the P3J Team who offer a PS3 JIG USB Development Board at their site (linked above) and so I got some test samples to review for PlayStation 3 JailBreak users and made a video of it in action.

Download: PSGroove Hermes v4b Autodetection by P3J Team

First, some specs from their page: P3J is a low-cost high-quality ATMEL based USB protocol development kit.

P3J Features:

- ATMEL AT90USB162 microcontroller
    - 16MHz resonator
    - Zig-zag solderless pin header for ISP programming and debugging
    - Hard Nickel-Gold plated USB connector
    - Pre-programmed with the Atmel DFU USB bootloader
    - Red user LED
    - User/bootloader button
    - 2mm robust PCB
    - 44mm x 12mm compact size
    - RoHS compliant, made in the EU

P3J PRO Coming:

- 128kB FLASH onchip memory for emulation of devices with huge payloads!
    - ATMEL AT90USB1286 microcontroller
    - 16MHz resonator
    - Zig-zag solderless pin header for ISP programming and debugging
    - Hard Nickel-Gold plated USB connector
    - Pre-programmed with the Atmel DFU USB bootloader
    - Red user LED
    - User/bootloader button
    - 2mm robust PCB
    - 44mm x 12mm compact size
    - RoHS compliant, made in the EU

The P3J has a tiny 2mm robust red PCB, 44mm x 12mm compact zise, with a AT90USB162 MCU a 16Mhz resonator one red status led and a
    button to activate the bootloader for easy updating with Atmels free FLIP software and comes with a Hard Nickel-Gold plated USB connector.

All components are RoHS compliant and the board is made in EU. The bootloader is pre-installed and the p3j will be ready to update with your prefered hex.

Or if you want you can use it to develop your own payload and test it with the P3J. Also you can do some tests on patching a already existing payload by moddifing the source of port_1_config_descriptor.S and burn the compiled hex to your P3J dev board. If you want to program your own bootloader then the Zig-zag solderless pin header for ISP programming and debugging will be a must have. Not only for bootloader testing, also for debugging your owen payload you will love the pin header.

For this review I have compiled a Hermes v4b Hex for the AT90USB162 and updated my P3J with it.

Now I will explain you step by step how to set up the P3J and you will see how easy it is.

First I downloaded and installed Atmels FLIP software ([Register or Login to view links]).

After a successful install I took the P3J and inserted the device to a USB port of my PC.. I pressed the button to activate the pre-installed P3J bootloader. Windows quickly recognized the device and a window pops up asking for a driver.

I then navigated to the directory of FLIP and have let install windows the driver for the AT90USB162.

With installed device driver and compiled hex I was ready to update my P3J and started the flip software. First I had to set a target device which in my case is an AT90USB162.

For the communication medium I selected the USB and a "USB port connection" window popped up where I clicked on the open prompt I got access to USB dev board.

Now I loaded the hex of Hermes v4b for my p3j and programmed the USB device with PSGroove.

Programming and verifing took 2 seconds and I was ready to have fun. You see its a such a simply and quickly done task that every one can do it. Beside that it's nearly the same like updating any other available commercial PS3 USB Modchip.

In the next step I explain the usage of the P3J and at the end I also have posted a video in action.

With the PSGroove Hermes v4b programmed PS3 JIG I was ready to do the first tests, connected the device to the USB port 2 and fired up my PS3.

The led flashed for one time and then stays on for 2-3 seconds to indicate that the exploit was successfully executed, then the led turned off. I disconected the JIG and my PS3 was now in JailBreak mode.

Time to insert my USB stick and installing some PKG files. First I installed a few Debug PKG files and than a few Retail PKG's to test the new function in Hermes v4b.

Then I installed a few games and used MOH to also test compatibility of new games. Everything worked as expected and my P3J test sample has proven to be a user-friendly and easy to update USB Development Board.

Even with deleted game data and save points I couldn't get MOH a second time to install in case I already have unlocked some trophies (I'm guessing). But if you use Open Manager 2.1D and install the game data on a external HDD or USB stick the game will run fine.

Anyway I will later upload and post another vid showing some games booting. If anyone wonders, you can get the PS3 JIG USB Development Board - P3J for 29,90€.

In case you want to buy a hugh amount of P3Js and resell them you can get them now with 70% DISCOUNT when you buy 50 and more pieces.

Want to become a reseller or simply by one piece? Then contact the PS3 JIG sales team via email (sales@ps3jig.com) and join the big JailBreaking party community.

Update: I got a new HEX from the developer which features an Autodection code in PSGroove (linked above) to use for updating the chip. Simply connect the chip to a USB port on your PC.

The led will go on and after 5 seconds it will flash for 5 times and then go out. PSGroove jumps to the bootloader and your chip will be automatically detected by your PC. No need to use the onboard button but you can if you want

Finally, to compile your own P3J compatible DFU bootloader:

1. Download the latest LUFAlib! ([Register or Login to view links])

2. Edit the following lines in the makefile:

2.A - For the P3J:
    MCU = at90usb162
    BOARD = TEENSY
    F_CPU = 16000000
    BOOT_START = 0x3000

2.B - For the P3J PRO:
    MCU = at90usb1286
    BOARD = TEENSY
    F_CPU = 16000000
    BOOT_START = 0x1E000

3. Add the following lines in BootloaderDFU.c right after "int main(void){":
    PORTD=0xFF;
    DDRD=1<<6;
    if ((PIND&(1<<7)) && !(MCUSR&(1<< IVSEL)))
    {
    ResetHardware();
    AppStartPtr();
    }

4. Program over ISP and set the BOOTRST fuse!

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the review cfwprophet and +Rep, I have added it to our PS3 Reviews page as well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I have been an advocate of programmable boards vs things like psjailbreak, but doesn't this seem almost like a blackcat, minus the voltage jumper (vs 1.7)?

neophyte5001 sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new at this. Why are programmable boards better than premade usb?

Once you've installed the necessary packages what's the benefits of a programmable usb board?

You can make use of other payloads like the PL3 or maybe some other that could up come. Or you can test your owen payload hacks with it.

I will also post a P3J Sixaxis Mod

Nothing special IMO. Looks no different from the dozens of other USB devices available to jailbreak the PS3 and more expensive than many of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    You can make use of other payloads like the PL3 or maybe some other that could up come. Or you can test your owen payload hacks with it.

I will also post a P3J Sixaxis Mod
    Hi, I'm just having one problem in understanding I think

Can I use your Custom Firmware Files to Jailbreak my PS3 on 3.4.1 to use the Open Manager (or any Other)? And this Works with just a normal USB Stick? I don't Need a PSJailbreak Clone or Atmel Flash?

Thanks

PSGroove Hermes v4b Autodetection for TI-84+ from P3J Team.
    Attached Files Attached Files

''128kB FLASH onchip memory for emulation of devices with huge payloads!''

how much kbs is the biggest payload available?and how much minimum memory recommended for any board?is 16kb enough?

Banned User
    they: No those CFW files can only be used on an already hacked playstation.Think about it, How would you put them on without a hack, you can only copy pics,music and video to the ps3 using XMB, not hacked firmware files!

And this will obviously not work on a normal USB stick , think about it, why would all these companies be releasing jailbreak devices with no real memory when everyone already has a USB memory stick!

If you read CFWprophets thread about the hacked files you would not need to ask this, if you read any of the FAQs or jailbreak info threads you would know that a normal USB stick can not be used for hack.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News