Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Video: Datel Cracks PSP Encryption, PSP Homebrew on PS3?

Sponsored Links
    Update: SKFU has now posted the following update: Ok guys, as Mathieulh is a lot more familiar with PSP related stories, thanks to him I can tell you now that my little idea won't work.

The reason is, that the Datel technique requires the application to run as UPDATE. The PSP runs the program in update mode which the PS3 won't be able to emulate at all. So sorry, no PSP homebrew on PS3, at least not via this way.

Today SKFU (linked above) shared a video of Datel's Action Replay running on official PSP Firmware 6.20, which leaves speculation as to whether the cracked PSP encryption process could lead to PSP homebrew on Sony's PS3 console.

Based on SKFU's idea below, we'll stick this in the PS3 Hacks section where PS3 hacks, exploits, mods, projects and ideas are discussed.

To quote: Datel may had success in cracking the PSP's encryption process and sign EBOOT's to run their [Register or Login to view links] on official firmwares, including the newest and the PSP Go hardware.

Why do I post it as I only focus on PS3 you may wonder, but hey the PS3 just got it's PSP emulator to be able to run the PSP Minis.

I didn't do any research on that yet, but well I guess it's the same as with the normal PSP games you could play on the PS3. The package file is extracted to PS3 HDD and runs the unpacked PKG files including the PSP EBOOT.BIN.

So may this be an idea to run PSP homebrew software on the PlayStation 3? Possible. May Datel have thought bout this? No clue, but I'd like that to be tested. Replace the PSP EBOOT.BIN on PS3 HDD and start your selfsigned application.

Finally, from the video's caption: If you don't understand the point of this video: Action Replay is not supported by Sony, which makes this impressive.

It seems Datel has found a way to encrypt unofficial software, making them the only ones able to run whatever they want on all models of PSPs (including the PSPGo)... besides Sony of course.

The Demo of the Action replay software can be found on Codejunkies' Web site if you want to see by yourself.

Regarding the stupid piece of paper on my screen: just worried about the "PSP ID" thingy, sounds much more dangerous than a MAC address to me.

Video: Datel Cracks PSP Encryption, PSP Homebrew on PS3?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hopefully it will lead to something as its about time

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    shame that demo pc promrage asks for a key
    good i have the demo files for the psp before they took them off the web site

Quote Originally Posted by facelift View Post
    shame that demo pc promrage asks for a key
    good i have the demo files for the psp before they took them off the web site
    The right people have the files, as long as they get somewhere with these files im going to be the happiest person in a 10 miles radius!

if you can encrypt and sign files to run on the system that pretty much means its hacked right? Hacking the ps3 through this could be possible since the ps3 and psp share a bit of integration but it could also be a bust both in hacking the ps3 and being a complete hack of the psp.

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    if you can encrypt and sign files to run on the system that pretty much means its hacked right? Hacking the ps3 through this could be possible since the ps3 and psp share a bit of integration but it could also be a bust both in hacking the ps3 and being a complete hack of the psp.
    As a senior member, do you think it will happen.. History of ps3 hacking right in front of us?

Holy crap, what? They signed it by themselves? That's plain awesome! Even the professional game devs have to send their software to Sony to get it signed!

Since this is PSP, I shouldn't get too excited, but damn... I'm already thrilled!

Must be some pretty clever/lucky hackers over at Datel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
    As a senior member, do you think it will happen.. History of ps3 hacking right in front of us?
    As a what? i'm as clueless as the next guy.

Arrow

SKFU updated his blog again, so I updated the first post with the following:
    Ok guys, as Mathieulh is a lot more familiar with PSP related stories, thanks to him I can tell you now that my little idea won't work.

The reason is, that the Datel technique requires the application to run as UPDATE. The PSP runs the program in update mode which the PS3 won't be able to emulate at all. So sorry, no PSP homebrew on PS3, at least not via this way.

Did you guys noticed the amount number of hack news since the vacations had begun ? Do you think this guys have more time now to play with their psp and ps3 ?

And to the new update.. again.. dammit

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News