Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Also think this is great work! – Yes Linux on the PS3 is still immature, but it’s a tremendously powerful system.

That said, I’m "confused" as to why this/Linux couldn’t be loaded via a homebrew app. That way there would be no (payload) size limitation and so (1) a full local kernel and (2) initird could be used. It would also be compatible with all the JB ‘clones’, etc., etc. Is this just not possible?

How much memory is available under AsbestOS? if it has access to the 256MB GDDR3 VRAM that would be awesome...

No i really didn't get it i'm sorry if i came off rude or a noob i know almost everything about the xbox 360 modding community and im new at ps3 I've followed from the first psjailbreak i just didn't understand the linux thing for ps3 because i thought you couldn't access any files from the HDD through linux?

I think some of you are missing the bigger picture here. You have access to all 7 SPU's think about that!

I am now wondering if it will be possible to use the security SPU against itself?

Only time will tell but I will bet that this will now lead to absolute domination of the PS3! I really hope more people jump all over this and try to gain even lower level access to the system, this is also a huge step in the right direction on looking for more holes in the system.

from OtherOS it wasnt possible... with this payload it may will become possible... and even if not... linux with full hardware acceleration is just awesome.

very well said.. I could not have said it any better. + rep to you sir.

evilsperm, I'm pretty sure your words just made me wet myself.

I'm currently waiting on 2 dev boards now that will be able to handle the AsBestOS payload and I cant wait to get my dirty paws on them hehe.

"O, wait, no, I'm an idiot", I love the irony of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumute View Post
    How much memory is available under AsbestOS? if it has access to the 256MB GDDR3 VRAM that would be awesome...
    That memory was available to Linux before, via a swap device.

You don't want to just map in the video memory and treat it as normal memory because due to the PS3 memory layout, read performance from RSX memory is atrocious from the CPU, so you'll want to use the RSX to copy data to and fro anyway.

See here for more info: theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1007286/ps3-hardware-slow-broken

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast