Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

VICE - C64 PLUS4 VIC20 Emulator for PS3 is Released!

Sponsored Links
    Update: VICE (Versatile Commodore Emulator) for PS3 version 1.0.2 updates for C64, C128, PLUS4 and VIC20 are now available followed by version 1.0.3 complete with source code!

Today I have released VICE (Versatile Commodore Emulator) for PS3 release 1.0, which is a C64, PLUS4 and VIC20 emulator for PS3 JailBreak users.

Please note, this is not related to the forthcoming release by AreaScout. But a bit of competition never hurt anyone

Downloads: PS3 VICE C64 v1.0.0 / PS3 VICE PLUS4 v1.0.0 / PS3 VICE VIC20 v1.0.0

Currently supporting the C64, PLUS4 and C16.
    C128 support in the next release.

Source code to be made available pending some serious cleanup and refactoring.

Build 1.0 (20-11-2010):
    -----------------------

- Initial Release, based on Vice 2.2.7
    • Full-speed emulation
    • Audio enabled (FastSID)
    • Fullscreen support, 16:9, 4:3
    • Video filters, with preview
    • Autoload
    • Warp Mode (Achieves ~ 350-700% actual speed)
    • On-Screen Keyboard (partial support).
    • Keyboard Support (partially implemented).
    • Supports all known (uncompressed) formats (.d64 .d71 .d80 .d81 .d82 .g64 .g41 .x64 .t64 .tap .prg .p00)

Thanks go out to Squarepusher, Shinhalsafar, Cm0nkey, Airmaker for their hard work on the Snes9x PS3 port, and their cellFramework library. This work also incorporates their menu system and config UI. Also to the original VICE team for creating a solid and well maintained codebase to work with.

Menu Controls:
    ---------------

CROSS - Launches the emulator with the selected title set to fast autoload
    TRIANGLE - Launches the emulator directly into C64 BASIC
    SELECT - Settings / Configuration
    START - Returns to the emulator

Vice Controls:
    ---------------

CROSS - Fire
    D-PAD - Joystick

SELECT - Swap joysticks
    START - Menu/Configuration

TRIANGLE - Mapped to keyboard for 'Y'
    CIRCLE - Mapped to keyboard for 'N' - Doubly mapped to 'UP' (See note 1)
    SQUARE - Mapped to keyboard for

L1 - Mapped to keyboard for 'F1'
    L2 - Mapped to keyboard for 'F3'
    R1 - Mapped to keyboard for 'F5'
    R2 - Mapped to keyboard for 'F7'

R3 - On-Screen-Keyboard (partially supported)

L2 + R2 - Warp Mode

*1 The CIRCLE button has been doubly mapped to the joystick 'UP' direction. This is useful for platform style games where the UP direction indicates a JUMP action. Clearly a difference in design aesthetics between joysticks and control pads, this might be more desirable.

Known Issues
    ------------

- Compressed formats currently NOT supported (.zip .bz2 .gz .d6z .d7z .d8z .g6z .g4z .x6z)
    - On-Screen-Keyboard is not fully mapped yet. Some keys will register incorrectly, if at all.
    - Actual Keyboard support not fully implemented, but good enough for the minute.
    - Does not save settings / configuration

VICE - C64 PLUS4 VIC20 Emulator for PS3 is Released!

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Very nice work TimRex and +Rep! I have now moved this to the main page as well.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    OMG.. that takes my back.. i never had one.. i was stupid and had an amstrad cpc 464 instead.. LOL good stuff.

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    Will you continue to improve this project as well to add zip support or is this it?

Solid Release +1

i can not get this to work. the on-screen keyboard does not even show up. the games i was able to load does not even move. the joystick is not mapped. i understand the dev wants to be the first over areascout but why release it claiming it works when it does not? good proof of concept but not functional yet. thanks for your effort. looking forward to the stable release.

Muny21, the joystick mapping could be due to some titles using joyport 1 and others using joyport 2. This was an often occurence on the 64.

There are two solutions to this problem
    1 - Pick up a second controller and use that (clunky)
    2 - Press 'SELECT' to swap joystick controls between joyport 1 and 2 (this feature is only available if a single pad is active, to avoid arguments).

The on-screen keyboard problem does appear to have regressed from a previous non-release build, I will take a look shortly.

Can you tell me what titles didn't work? There are certainly some that will not work even under VICE on other platforms. The solution is generally to turn off "warp-mode" for truly original loading times, if you're willing to wait that long. This will be a configurable option in a future release.

If there is a title that doesn't work on this release, but DOES work on the original Vice (on any other platform) - please let me know.

Great release, the game are running spot on. I've also had problems with the keyboard emulation, even using a second controller and the select nothing come up. I don't think the select to change controller works. Once the problems are sorted out, this looks like its going to be one of the best emulators.

This is probably bottom of your to do list, but any chance of USB joystick support so I can use my competition pro? It just doesn't feel the same using a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by adgloride View Post
    I've also had problems with the keyboard emulation, even using a second controller and the select nothing come up. I don't think the select to change controller works.
    Next release should fix the on-screen keyboard problem.

Using 'select' to swap controllers only works when there is a single controller active.
    Quote Originally Posted by adgloride View Post
    This is probably bottom of your to do list, but any chance of USB joystick support so I can use my competition pro? It just doesn't feel the same using a controller.
    You're right. A lot of games just aren't right on a pad control. If I can get my hands on one, it may not be too much trouble. Nice to see speedlink still make these.

Is this n64? If so, I can't wait to play old school golden eye.

thanks for the reply. the joystick does work after hitting select. sorry did not realize that you had to do that. but the keyboard does not show up and is needed to even start some games and i have no sound. but so far it is looking very promising. thanks for your time and effort put into allowing me to relive my childhood. great games and memories.

by the way the games that i have tried and have no sound are montezuma's revenge, airborne ranger and winter games. three of the best games ever made. they all worked perfectly with the pspvice emulator. never tried the pc emulator.
    Last edited by muny21; 12-05-2010 at 11:48 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News