Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is not fair play!
    but this is very clever step by Sony
    Last edited by Dave3991; 11-21-2009 at 04:32 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkler View Post
    Where? in PSU? Even new models of Xbox doesn't support modchips.
    yes it does the Cygnos V2.0 and most stuff that is done is software based now, because they can just unbrick their mistake.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So... stuff like that has ever been where piracy exist, its nothing new.

Sony DADC Securom protection is now being developed by ex-sceners who used to crack older versions, same for pretty much every Major PC Game/App Protection... its common to hire the 'enemy'.

i think its pretty much oke that the ps3 is still unhacked to play 'backuped/pirated' games. But as everything, someday someone will manage to run unsigned code (mibi by patched .data sections as only static code can be signed or whatever ) on retail ps3s...

I also think that the developers are pretty much far with their work (decrypted self info etc. was posted >1year ago) they just dont tell much as it would:

a) help ps3 devs
    b) they surely have no intention about helpin pirating ps3games

but i'm really curious what they have found out so far

greetz

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkler View Post
    PS2 mode is a sandbox
    Yep, I used to have hopes of finding a hole using ps2mode until I fully understood what that meant.

Since Im probably never getting a NTSC ps2 compatible ps3, I might as well throw my lamebrain idea out here. its the only way I think the ps3 could be vunerable because of the ps2. It requires having an original ps2 game that can be installed onto the hdd. Since I cant install any games on my PAL 60gb, Im a bit ignorant of the process.

If anybody has info, pics, or videos that they would like to share of a ps2 game intalling on the ps3, Im interested. If anyone has info of the HDD layout of a ps2 game that has been installed, I think that could be very interesting.

Ok, Im not too familiar with the layout of the ps3 HDD but I know all games and demos have EBOOT files. so Im assuming when you install any game(psx included). theres always a signed EBOOT on the hdd and when you start the game from XMB your running the EBOOT, correct?

$ony has always provided us with signed eboots even for the psx games.

Now heres my big question??
    When you click on the icon in the XMB of a ps2game that has been installed are you initiating a EBOOT? my ps2games dont have any eboots so did the ps3 build an EBOOT? a signed EBOOT? If that is the case would it be possible in any way, with a DEV console or Infectus, to sniff the info of the process. at best steal the key, lol, keep dreaming

But if it is creating a signed eboot maybe we could trick it into signing some homebrew code. make a backup of the disc to be installed, throw in a Hello World. open up the ps3 and do a quick disc swap with the original. Then with a miracle, when you go to start the ps2 game you installed from XMB, HELLOWORLD will magically pop up on the screen

Maybe a less amazing but more realistic option would be to make a backup of the ps2 game and switch the game elf with another one, like uLaunch.elf. doing a quick disc swap before installing. then instead of the game booting from XMB it would be uLaunch.elf, hopefully with hdd access. If not maybe usbloader. if you could boot it from XMB, it would be better than nothing.

Keep in mind Im not saying any of this will work. these are just wild ideas but if anyone wants to discuss, please do. im always hoping to learn a little more myself.
    Last edited by aries2k6; 11-21-2009 at 07:17 PM Reason: typos

hey guys, i've been off scene for a while, i had no idea i could play ps2 backups! can anyone tell me how? i've gota 40gb, so i've been looking forward to a bc hack for ages!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by loz View Post
    hey guys, i've been off scene for a while, i had no idea i could play ps2 backups! can anyone tell me how? i've gota 40gb, so i've been looking forward to a bc hack for ages!
    Unfortunately theres no BC hack. only the consoles that already have BC can run ps2 homebrew and ps2 backups.

Quote Originally Posted by shummyr View Post
    yes it does the Cygnos V2.0 and most stuff that is done is software based now, because they can just unbrick their mistake
    It works on older consoles but no more. The exploit was better to enable homebrew but nowadays no one is interested because there is no way to bypass updates. Pretty useless.

No way to bypass updates?

I'm running with firmware 3.00 and am using the ps3proxi tool which bypasses the requirement to update. No need to update to 3.10 for me (at least for the time being).

By the way, even if you are lucky enough (like me) to own an original BC console and can run PS2 backups from (external!) HDD - you still can't hack the ps3 because the ps3 games/homebrew etc all run within a sandbox as previously mentioned. What this means is that PS2 code (games/homebrew etc) DO NOT have any access to the PS3 areas.

Now i'm off to collect my latest payment from sony
    (OMG - if only that were true!)

PSPSwampy.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PSPSwampy View Post
    Now i'm off to collect my latest payment from sony
    (OMG - if only that were true!)
    It actually (sorta) is for some Devs... for example, recently Hellcat from the PSP scene got a job with Sony working on PSP Minis and had to give up homebrew as a result. ([Register or Login to view links])
    Good bye PSP homebrew.... just got my contract with Sony for official development :-p \o/
    2:58 PM Sep 2nd from web

Question

is it going to be possible to run ps2 on the new slim 250g ps3?

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News