Lightbulb Theory - Linux on the slim

Ok, so I picked up my shiny new slim today at best buy, fired it up, and as expected, no "OTHER OS" option, so lets see what we can do, I know it isnt in the hardware, just the software, any chance we might be able to get something going from a firmware or XMB exploit?

Question

Slightly off-topic, but we have another thread on it and nobody has provided a clear answer so... if you have a PS3 Slim in your possession, can you check which version Firmware it ships with?

Thanks!

it has version 2.70 firmware.

Thanks for the confirmation and +Rep to you!

if it's basically the same hardware, i wonder why they bothered removing it.. maybe keeping it up to date with all the kernel/hypervisor changes was too much of a pain? idk

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb2147 View Post
    i wonder why they bothered removing it.. maybe keeping it up to date with all the kernel/hypervisor changes was too much of a pain?
    Yup, Sony explains why here... basically to save maintenance costs and pass them along to the consumer.

http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...linux-options/

ok to lower the cost.. but what kind of maintenance could the hypervisor or any other security system have??

Probably what she mentioned in the article:
    SCE would need to continue to maintain the OtherOS hypervisor drivers for any significant hardware changes - this costs SCE.