Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Takes Legal Action Against Infamous PS3 Hacker GeoHot

Sponsored Links
    Update #5: According to [Register or Login to view links] via [Register or Login to view links], GeoHot and Sony now share same charge as a result of a PS3 OtherOS class-action lawsuit.

To quote: "One of Sony's defenses is rather interesting, as the company claims that it had no way of knowing gamers who bought the hardware would want to use these functions for the life of the system, and the multiple warranties and Terms of Service all said that Sony had the right to remove functions from the hardware."

Update #4: The latest documents reveal Judge Susan Illston has denied Sony's request for expedited discovery, essentially meaning Sony can't send out the subpoenas to other PS3 hackers mentioned previously, however, [Register or Login to view links] now reports Sony is preparing to inspect GeoHot's hard drive.

Update #3: [Register or Login to view links] has now updated his site with the following, to quote: "As of 2:00 PM EST, 1/14/2011, I am not subject to any TROs" followed by legal documents citing a request for dismissal by lawyers representing George Hotz and concluded with more legal documents now granting Sony the TRO although according to [Register or Login to view links] GeoHot laywers are now filing a motion to dismiss the TRO.

So, although there is still a court case to go through essentially what this means is US District Judge Susan Illston [Register or Login to view links] the temporary restraining order telling Sony to prove their case first, leaving the burden of proof upon them while Sony documents now allege George Hotz has a PSN account.

Update #2: Some videos of GeoHot on G4's Attack of the Show which aired at 7PM EST tonight are now available below, with his motion for temporary restraining order rescheduled for Friday, January 14, 2011 at 9:00 am.

Update: While [Register or Login to view links] now classifies the legal action as a restraining order as GeoHot hires a lawyer from Ettorney Law who previously won big cases against the RIAA and MPAA, Research Professor of Computer Science David S. Touretzky at Carnegie Mellon University has now [Register or Login to view links] the GeoHot file archive calling the bluff of Sony's legal team.

It appears infamous PS3 hacker GeoHot aka George Hotz is now in hot water himself along with 27C3 lecturers and fail0verflow members Marcan aka Hector Martin and sven aka Sven Peter and 100 John Does, as posted on IRC and his site Sony Computer Entertainment has now filed suit against him.

Charges include:

• 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(2)(C) – Confidential Information On Computer
    • 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(4) – Intent To Defraud And Obtain Value
    • 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(5)(A) – Knowing Transmission of Code
    • 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(5)(B) and (C) – Intentional and Reckless Damage And Loss
    • 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(6)(A) – Trafficking in Password
    • 18 U.S.C. 1030(a)(7)(B) – Intent to Extort

To quote from his site: "As of 1/11/2011 7:20 PM EST, I have been served with papers, see below...

[Register or Login to view links]

old front page, with relevant info removed, is [Register or Login to view links]

contact me geohot ... gmail

any legal fund donation things you see are 100% fake as of now, don't get scammed"

Sony claims to have sent GeoHot a $1 donation for his PS3 hacking work, and from the legal docs, to quote: "Upon information and belief, Defendant George Hotz is bound by the Playstation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement (the PSN User Agreement), 14 of which states in relevant part that both parties submit to personal jurisdiction in California and further agree that any 23 dispute arising from or relating to this Agreement shall be brought in a court within San Mateo County, California.

The FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants intentionally circumvented SCEA's TPMs, accessed the PS3 System and trafficked in Circumvention Devices and SCEA's proprietary information, with full knowledge that their unlawful conduct would irreparably harm SCEA.

Indeed, five days prior to appearing at the Chaos Conference, Bushing echoed a [Register or Login to view links] comment anticipating this irreparable harm: Last chance to sell any Sony stock you may have.

By distributing the Circumvention Devices discussed herein, Hotz has caused irreparable injury and damage to SCEA. Russell Decl. at 9-10. Recognizing the harmful impact of his unlawful conduct on SCEA and attempting to leverage his circumvention activities, Hotz addressed SCEA when he posted the Metldr Keys. Bricker Decl. at 22, Exh. U.

In an attempt to obtain employment, he wrote: “if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me.” Id.

Furthermore, in a January 6, 2011 interview with the BBC, Hotz acknowledged that his conduct will catalyze the piracy of video games: “I hate that it enables piracy.” Id. at 27, Exh. Z.

Despite feigning disturbance resulting from the proliferation of piracy, Hotz then went on to release 3.55 Firmware JailBreak and the Signing Tool – both components of Circumvention Devices that are designed to facilitate videogame piracy.

Finally, SCEA will likely prevail on its claim under 1030(a)(7)(B), which prohibits intent to extort from any person any money or other thing of value by threatening to obtain information from a protected computer without authorization or in excess of authorization or to impair the confidentiality of information obtained from a protected computer without authorization or by exceeding authorized access. Hotz violated this provision when, in the same post in which the published SCEA's Keys, he attempted to obtain from SCEA thing of value in the form of employment: if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me."

[Register or Login to view links] has also posted some additional court documents and the following, to quote: "My Wikileaks Fax machine just finished dumping the finished E-filings for today by Sony, with the official Court Stamp and Signings, and included now is what SCEA wants to claim in damages and their reasons, and dates of when the info was released by Team Fail0verflow and Geohot and various other info like sharing of work via twitter, posting youtube videos, etc."

From [Register or Login to view links]: "Ah, so Sony decided to sue everyone under US law. Guess I won't be visiting the US in a while..."

From [Register or Login to view links]: "Looks like Sony decided to ignore the facts and sue us all for it. See http://geohot.com/."

GeoHot on IRC: (IPs/other users/etc removed)

geohot: [Register or Login to view links]
    geohot: they expect me to be in SF tomorrow at 9am :/
    geohot: they also say i am taking donations, which i am not
    geohot: and that i have a twitter, which i do not
    geohot: moving to spain :P
    geohot: old index page and jailbreak.zip has been restored to geohot.com
    geohot: i assure you i am takely this matter very seriously
    geohot: after reading the documents and consulting with my legal team, i have decided to repost the information and jailbreak
    geohot: the tro is proposed, not signed
    geohot: if the court signs off on the tro, i will comply with the courts decision
    geohot: whats ironic is the program to get the metldr key was run under otheros
    geohot: 100% legally
    geohot: on 3.15
    geohot: nothing was circumvented

Sony Takes Legal Action Against Infamous PS3 Hacker GeoHot

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    sucks, sony knows it lost the ps3, and wants to show its corporate bawls to the world one last time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If he wasn't such a weenie I'd feel bad for him....

Should have kept things on the D/L and released his work anonoumously.

BTW: Sony... (In case you read this) Suck my Ballz!!!

He tried to keep piracy blocked, but still Sony wants to bone him. If I was him I would just blow this box open and let everyone do with the info what they want.

i'm not sure if that's even him, it looks like a young picture of elijah wood from like the movie deep impact.

Big Grin

lmao, wow wtf is with the picture.

Well it was just a matter of time, but OMG... that picture in the main page is so funny... you can actually see his pain as he holds the soap... can't stop laughing as I write this... LOL.

I doubt this will go much further than this.

Sony will not win. He released the root key. So what. It's not like he said "HEY EVERYBODY USE THIS 2 STEAL GAMEZ K?".

All he said was that his firmware would let you install signed packages. The only thing they can (possibly) get him on is the keys, but also unlikely.

So evil... Kind of funny how corporations can twist words to suit them, i mean: if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me.

Extort. If you (pointing at Sony) want your next console to be secure, dont sell the damn thing. Nothing is "Secure".

Reckless Damage or Loss No

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News