Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Lets pretend the Ps3 has this thing called "System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System" that you must agree to in order to proceed in using the ps3. Now, Geohot admitted that the hack was 5% hardware 95% software. why is it so hard for some people to understand that what Geohot did was wrong?

Lets put our imagination caps on now... Mommy told Geohot not to touch the cooking pot geohot said "okay" and touches it anyway and now Geohot got burned and Mommy spanks him for not listening.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    because license agreements don't super seed law. Reverse engineering is legal and always will be, without it anti virus software couldn't exist.

Sponsored Links

PS3 Hacker GeoHot Now Taking Donations, Opens New Blog

Sponsored Links
    Today on his site PS3 Hacker GeoHot states he is now taking donations to help with his legal defense against Sony, and has opened a new blog at geohotgotsued.blogspot.com.

To quote from geohot.com:
    Media, I need your help. This is the first time I have ever asked. Please, if you support this cause, help me out and spread the word. I want, by the time this goes to trial, to have Sony facing some of the hardest hitting lawyers in the business. Together, we can help fix the system.

Donations here are for legal defense ONLY I checked with my lawyers before setting this up If you have another substantial way to donate aside from money, let me know

tl;dr
    Sony is lame, and is suing me for hacking MY OWN PS3. Help me own them in court

Sony are bullies
    Sony doesn't care if what you did was legal, if they don't like it, they sue. Sony tried to sue a guy for getting his AIBO to do non Sony approved tricks, making it apparent that they don't really care about piracy, they care about control. In (Sony v Bleem), Bleem was the winner on all counts, but the high cost of a legal defense shut them down. Fortunately, that suit helped set precedent on the legality of emulators. I would hate to lose this case due to resource starvation, and with the support of the masses, I won't. Lets turn the bully back on itself. This case has the ability to set a huge precedent for consoles and all closed systems to come. The other two should be begging Sony to back off.

Sony sued the wrong guy
    I am an advocate against mass piracy, do not distribute anyone's copyrighted work but my own, do not take crap lying down, and am even pro DRM in a sense. For example, I believe Apple has every right to lock down their iPhone in the factory as much as they want, but once it's paid for and mine, I have the right to unlock it, smash it, jailbreak it, look at it, and hack on it. Fortunately, the courts agree with me on this point.
    My PS3 goal has been to provide users a legitimate path to homebrew, which by the standards of all previous cases (or, in reverse), is 100% legal. Sony does not even try to allege piracy or copyright infringement in this case, they allege I did things like play "super mario world, an unauthorized game" on MY PS3. And access MY PS3 in an unauthorized way. Who are they to authorize what I do with my taxed and paid for property?
    fail0verflow's goal was even nobler than mine. They wanted to give you back a feature Sony illegally stole, Linux on your PS3. It's shameful on Sony's part that they are being sued at all. If you have a problem with pirates, sue them, don't sue people who point out your shortcomings.

Why should I care about your personal legal troubles?
    You shouldn't. For example, if I was taken to court for sex crimes in Sweden, I would never ask for donations. But this case isn't about me. Clearly I am not being sued because of something I have that Sony wants, I am being sued in order to send a message that Sony is not to be messed with. But if I(and all codefendants likewise) actually win this, we have the power to send a much stronger message back. That consumers have rights, and we aren't afraid to stand up for them.

Why should I trust you? I just saw you trying to rap battle Sony
    My attempts at humor aside, I do take this whole matter very seriously. Again, it's not about me, I was on the verge of quitting this stuff last June, and I would hate to be the one who sets a reputation for hackers that all a company has to do is sue us and we back down. In fact, I want the opposite reputation set, that the more a company tries to abuse the legal system, the harder we rally back. I will be the first person in line on the launch date of the Xperia Play, and itching to get my hands on the Next GEOHOT Project.

Why did you wait until now to set this up?
    I didn't want to be trigger happy, and thought the suit might go away quickly. Also, I had to consult with my lawyers about how to do this. It's been over a month, and it looks like this is going to be a drawn out case. I am in this for the long haul. I am very serious ethically when I take donations, for all iPhone work I only accepted after the fact, here after the fact is too late. Now I am pot committed so to say.

How much should I donate?
    Put it this way, Sony has 5 lawyers, I have 2. I'd like to level the playing field, and really get some hard hitters in there. I have already racked up over 10k in legal bills; donate whatever you feel like. Leftover donations at the end of all this will be donated to the EFF.

What if I want to donate more than I feel comfortable sending through PayPal?
    I'm excited! Email me, we'll figure it out.

Why doesn't the EFF fund this?
    Ask them. They have offered to provide some legal help though, which is much appreciated.

Donate to help you, you're the reason I can't play Modern Warfare now…
    No, I'm not. Kakaroto explains this really well here. I have never played PS3 online ever. Frankly I'm amazed by the apparent ease with which these cheats were created, security 101, why is the security in the client anyway? I had no idea this would happen, and am in full support of the cheaters being permabanned from PSN.

I'm a poor college student, what can I do to help?
    I feel you, don't worry. Spread the word. Let people know how you feel about what Sony is doing. Let Sony know how you feel about what Sony is doing.

What if SCEA tries to settle?
    Lets just say, I want the settlement terms to include OtherOS on all PS3s and an apology on the PlayStation blog for ever removing it. It'd be good PR for Sony too, lord knows they could use it. I'm also willing to accept a trade, a legit path to homebrew for knowledge of how to stop new firmwares from being decrypted.

Why isn't SCEA trying to settle?
    RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE...THEY POINTED OUT OUR SECURITY FLAWS...IM SO MADDDDDDDD...WAHHHHHH

GeoHot Closes First Round of Donations

George Hotz, the hacker being sued by SCEA for enabling homebrew applications on the PS3, has closed his first round of donations to his legal defense fund. Hotz states that he has met his first goal and hopes to level the playing field in his ongoing legal battle with Sony by adding more lawyers to his team.
    First round of donations is closed

Thank you so so much for all of your help, things are looking up money wise.
    Expect to see a few more lawyers on my responses!
    I have enough to cover my legal fees for the time being.
    And in the absolute worst case scenario, we don't want Sony getting it :-P

For now, the best thing you can do is spread the word
    Let people know how Sony treats customers
    Let people know Sony would rather sue than be proactive and try to fix the problem
    Let people know about laws like the DMCA which stifle innovation, and don't do anything to fix the problems they were created to solve

I will keep this blog updated as the case develops.
    From: geohotgotsued.blogspot.com/2011/02/first-round-of-donations-is-closed.html

Arrow Video: GeoHot Interview from The Alyona Show

Here is the latest GeoHot video interview from The Alyona Show for those interested:

Forensic Analysis Of GeoHot's Hard Drives In Dispute

Another update for those following: [Register or Login to view links]
    In the latest round of Sony vs. Geohot legal wrangling, court documents reveal that there is now a dispute as to how Geohot's hard drives are being handled by the third-party company designated to analyze them.

The original court order only called for the drive(s) to be delivered to a third party "for the purpose of isolating, segregating and/or removing the information on those devices related to Defendant Hotz's circumvention of the TPMs in the PS3 system."

Now the company doing the analysis wants to create TWO FULL IMAGES of the drive(s), in both decrypted and encrypted form!!! According to Geohot's attorneys, "SCEA is not entitled to inspect the impounded drives under the impoundment order, nor is it allowed to create and preserve additional copies of the impounded drives, but this is precisely what it seeks to do."

SCEA, of course, is demanding that this fast one be allowed.
    For the foregoing reasons, SCEA requests that the Court order that Mr. Hotz comply with TIG‟s recommended impoundment protocols and that those protocols be supplemented to ensure that preservation requirements are met as follows:

(1) TIG create and preserve two forensically sound images (e.g., bit stream images) of each impounded storage device in its encrypted form: One to be maintained by TIG in a secure vault for preservation purposes and the second to be used for decryption and/or any other necessary analysis by TIG;

(2) TIG create and preserve two forensically sound images (e.g., bit stream images) of each impounded storage device in its un-encrypted form. One to be maintained by TIG in a secure vault for preservation
    purposes and the second to be used for TIG‟s necessary analysis; and

(3) TIG maintain and preserve all of the forensically created images for the duration of the lawsuit.

SCEA further requests that the Court order Mr. Hotz to: (a) provide TIG with the tools and keys necessary to decrypt the impounded storage devices and the keys and passwords necessary to decrypt or unlock any protected files contained on the impounded storage devices;

(b) identify for TIG all virtual machines or hard disks stored or at any time run on the impounded storage devices.3 Furthermore, to verify compliance with the impoundment order, SCEA requests that the Court order Mr. Hotz to provide a declaration setting forth: (i) verification that all storage devices on which any circumvention devices or any information relating to Mr. Hotz‟s circumvention of the technological protection measures in the PS3 System are stored have been delivered to TIG; (ii) why the storage device used by Mr. Hotz in the January 7, 2011 YouTube video entitled “Jailbroken PS3 3.55 with Homebrew” was not delivered to TIG for impoundment; and (iii) the identity of any remote storage of the circumvention devices or any information relating to Mr. Hotz‟s circumvention of the technological protection measures in the PS3 System.4 Finally, SCEA seeks fees and costs in relation to this motion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Judge Allows Sony to Unmask Anybody Who Visited GeoHot Site

Today Wired.com (linked above) has published legal documents confirming a federal judge has granted Sony the right via subpoena to unmask anybody who visited GeoHot's site, including but not limited to those who downloaded the PS3 "jailbreak.zip" file.

To quote: "A federal magistrate is granting Sony the right to acquire the Internet IP addresses of anybody who has visited PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz' website from January of 2009 to the present.

Thursday's decision (.pdf) by Magistrate Joseph Spero to allow Sony to subpoena Hotz' web provider raises a host of web privacy concerns.

The subpoena to Bluehost, which maintains Hotz' geohot.com site, is part of Sony's lawsuit against the 21-year-old New Jersey hacker. Respected for his iPhone hacks and now the PlayStation 3 jailbreak, Hotz is accused of breaching the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other laws after he published on his website an encryption key and software tools that allow Playstation owners to gain complete control of their consoles from the firmware on up.

Sony also won subpoenas (.pdf) for data from YouTube and Google, as well as Twitter account data linked to Hotz, who goes by the handle GeoHot.

The Bluehost subpoena requires requires the company to turn over "documents reproducing all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records, and application or registration forms" tied to Hotz' hosting. The subpoena also demands "any other identifying information corresponding to persons or computers who have accessed or downloaded files hosted using your service and associated" with the [Register or Login to view links] website, including but not limited to the "geohot.com/jailbreak.zip file."

Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove "defendant's distribution" of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those whom downloaded Hotz' hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.

The DMCA prohibits the trafficking of so-called "circumvention devices" designed to crack copy protection schemes. The law does not require Sony to prove that Hotz received payment for the hack, which was designed to allow PlayStation 3 owners the ability to run home-brewed software or alternative operating systems like Linux. It builds on a series of earlier jailbreaks that unlocked less protected levels of the PlayStation's authentication process.

Jailbreaking a console is also a prerequisite to running pirated copies of games, which Sony emphasizes in its lawsuit.

"I think the these subpoenas, the information they seek, is inappropriate," said Corynne McSherry, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. In a letter to Magistrate Spero, she termed the subpoenas "overly broad." (.pdf)

The judge also signed off on a subpoena to Google seeking the logs for Hotz' Blogger.com blog, geohotps3.blogspot.com.

A subpoena to YouTube, also approved, seeks information connected to the "geohot" account that displayed a video of the hack being used: "Jailbroken PS3 3.55 with Homebrew." The subpoena demands data to identify who watched the video and "documents reproducing all records or usernames and IP addresses that have posted or published comments in response to the video."

A fourth subpoena is directed at Twitter, demanding the disclosure of all of Hotz' tweets, and "documents sufficient to identify all names, addresses, and telephone numbers associated with the Twitter account."

Sony has threatened to sue anybody who has posted the hacking tools or the encryption key. It is seeking unspecified damages from Hotz.

A hearing on whether Hotz will be tried in San Francisco or New Jersey is set for next month in San Francisco federal court."

Judge Allows Sony to Unmask Anybody Who Visited GeoHot Site

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

that's crazy.. whatever sites i visit, are MY business... no one else's.

Good, they can also sue the retard that works for them that posted it on twitter... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by enotsleachim View Post
    that's crazy.. whatever sites i visit, are MY business... no one else's.
    Ya damn straight and these guys are outta control. I'm doing something about this, I can't sit idly by anymore. Look for it.

Sponsored Links
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News