Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Arrow

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post
    Maybe we should concentrate on the BD-DRive firmware. Any news on that front?
    There are a lot of older threads on this (ie http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...es-102711.html) but in short it was dumped a few years ago. That being said, like everything else with the PS3 it is plagued with encryption so there is little news or progress on that front unfortunately.

In case you missed it, HERE is a link to grab the PS3 Blu-ray drive Firmware (dvd_mx25l1005.BIN and mx25l1005.BIN) dumped from a 60GB US PS3 console to examine and HERE are some SPI Flash dumps.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If i understand right might this come in handy for unbricking PS3's ?? Or am i all chit and chat ?

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Nice news on this CJPC and keep up the great work.

Great work guys i hope service mode is useful for normal ps3 users.

Well, it's still good news that the Slims firmware can be dumped and all... But because it's encrypted how can you tell it's been dumped correctly ? I mean, isn't it all gibberish ? Encrypted content usually looks something like

[Register or Login to view code]

Oh, and another thing. I don't agree with Sony's take on forced updates once you're online. Imagine going through an update and experiencing a grid power failure (and you're out of warranty)... That's why service mode for regular Joes would be great -> having a backup which you can restore (even if it's tied to your own machine). So keep up the good work !
    Last edited by DSpider; 12-15-2009 at 11:08 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well, a few fold. For starters, the picture of the dump needs to have a few things done to it to become somewhat readable (like all of them, byteswap/interleave). Most of it then becomes legible (file headers, etc).

With the old systems, at least, we had a large chunk of encrypted data, that we did not know what it was for - but, we also knew what was on the flash, and it was no where to be found on the system. It was not a far leap to assume that the big piece of encrypted data was our filesystem (especially going by filesizes of the FS and files)!

Decrypting

Ok so you dumped the flash, but it's encrypted. Maybe we should get a group of code analyzers to try and decrypt it. I'm talking hardcore analyzers who read and decrypt code for fun. Break the code into several sections one section per person. then when each coder is finished with his or her section, put toghether the finished sections and they all come toghether to revise the final product and correct any missing information that may have resulted in the split and compare it to the original untill the entire file is decrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcamrod View Post
    Ok so you dumped the flash, but it's encrypted. Maybe we should get a group of code analyzers to try and decrypt it. I'm talking hardcore analyzers who read and decrypt code for fun. Break the code into several sections one section per person. then when each coder is finished with his or her section, put toghether the finished sections and they all come toghether to revise the final product and correct any missing information that may have resulted in the split and compare it to the original untill the entire file is decrypted.
    Yeah, I suggest you search first - Namely, its multiple different types of encryptions, and multiple layers of it. How you state will not work, not to mention just cracking the encryption by analysis / brute force will not work with any modern encryption system, short of using every supercomputer in the world - and even then, you need to know how the system works in order to brute it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Yeah, I suggest you search first - Namely, its multiple different types of encryptions, and multiple layers of it. How you state will not work, not to mention just cracking the encryption by analysis / brute force will not work with any modern encryption system, short of using every supercomputer in the world - and even then, you need to know how the system works in order to brute it.
    Agreed - especially how i'm now working in that industry. Brute forcing only works if you know what you are dealing with. - that as well as you can't split it into sections and divide it up against multiple hackers - its designed to be encrypted as a whole, therefore need to brute force it in one section (or one piece). That being said, even the firmware signed hashes (SHA1-MD5 i think) is impossible without the original key to create. Therefore impossible to brute-force as well.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News