Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sony merging FW updates with game updates?

Guys anyone knows if Sony can merge firmware updates with online game updates?

Like i'm planning on using the modchip, but right now there's a Patch for joe danger rleased (1.01), and you can't go online in the game unless you update it.

since the patch was released aug 26, i'm suspecting if sony might be doing something cunning, merging FW updates with game updates like these (to disable the modchip exploit)?

what's your take on this?

this has always been the case with game updates: unless you update the game, you can't use the online functions for that game in particular. it is this way so there aren't any compatibility issues between different versions of the game. everyone plays online with the same version.

Quote Originally Posted by painlessjeff View Post
    this has always been the case with game updates: unless you update the game, you can't use the online functions for that game in particular. it is this way so there aren't any compatibility issues between different versions of the game. everyone plays online with the same version.
    Yeah i thought about that compatibility issue which is understandable. I'm more worried about the fact that if Sony silently adds FW update code to game updates, it might be very easy from them to lock out many consoles from using the modchip dongle.

well the game update goes to the "game partition" and the firmware goes to a totally different place to my knowledge so I don't think they could sneak it into a game update as the .pkg file that is downloaded is for the "game partition". however, if you see that two files are being downloaded and the update number doesn't change that much (ie. 1.00 to 1.01), cancel the update if you want to be sure that Sony hasn't started to hide FW update with game updates.

Quote Originally Posted by painlessjeff View Post
    well the game update goes to the "game partition" and the firmware goes to a totally different place to my knowledge so I don't think they could sneak it into a game update as the .pkg file that is downloaded is for the "game partition". however, if you see that two files are being downloaded and the update number doesn't change that much (ie. 1.00 to 1.01), cancel the update if you want to be sure that Sony hasn't started to hide FW update with game updates.
    Well i've already updated, hoping sony doesn't screw with firmware updates without notifications.

The system info screen still reads 3.41 so guess no damage done.. will avoid any future updates.

I don't think this can be done (merge updates) due to them going into different partitions. You never know what Sony may try next with a countermove though! I bet they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off inside Sony headquarters:

Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Exclamation Your Paranoia is Funny, but nearly accurate...

They can not do it simply because GAMES operation on a different hypervisor level than actual firmware updates.

However, they can how over set up microcode when ever you are online that says "on system reboot, execute auto-micro-firmware update" and successfully disable your PSJB hopes. Its in your EULA that you agreed too when OtherOS removal came out. (they can patch software without your permission I believe were the terms used)

I took my PS3 offline days ago because of that fear.

Not gonna let Sony ruin my fun.

Frankly - using the jailbreak at current state (e.g. without deeper knowledge if and how it's usage could be detected - and this even with this being removed while online - and punished by Sony) is IMO pure suicide. If you really plan to use it - do NOT go online or get a spare (let's say second hand) PS3 for it or you're risking ban of your PS3, your PSN ID(s) and loosing of all your purchased content - is it really worth it? On other hand - if you want to be a hero and test it for all others - be my guest
    Last edited by GrandpaHomer; 08-29-2010 at 04:53 AM

Isnt it possible to play with other PS Jailbreak users then ?

Because you are bypassing the patch ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast