Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Issues DMCA Takedown Notices, PS3 Hackers Mirror Files

Sponsored Links
    Update #2: Sony has now served [Register or Login to view links] with a DMCA takedown notice for PS3 hacking related repositories which have subsequently been removed.

Update: Now Sony is [Register or Login to view links] other PS3 hackers via YouTube and Twitter, as new documents reveal they also plan to subpoena PlayStation 3 hacking related Web sites.

Following legal action against GeoHot, today Sony has sent out DMCA takedown notices to sites hosting PlayStation 3 developer files including California-based Github, and as a result the PS3 hackers have now mirrored the removed files on Norway-based Gitorious.

Those seeking to read Sony's takedown notice can do so [Register or Login to view links], with the violation citing "Trafficking a device that circumvents effective access controls, and/or Trafficking a device that circumvents effective copyright protection measures."

The mirrored ps3keys, ps3tools, and lv2patcher PS3 GIT files are now posted [Register or Login to view links] on Gitorious for the time being.

To quote from PSX-Scene (linked above): "First Professor Carnegie Mellon who had 'mirrored' geohot's original keys open door site, took his down to be on the 'safe' side of the action:

1/27/2011 Update: Judge Illston has granted the TRO against George Hotz despite the venue issue still being contested by Hotz's attorney. And I'm out of town. Since CMU has a west coast campus in California and is therefore subject to her jurisdiction, I have disabled my mirror until I can get back to Pittsburgh and look more closely at the current state of things.

Then early this morning DMCA takedowns started to get received by the various scene developers, first kmeaw, a good coder behind a working CFW, got one: kmeaw: I have just received a DMCA takedown notice

Next graf_chokolo, a now world-famous coder for his wonderful PS3 'decryption' skills, posted the following on Xorloser's Blog, that his GIT has been taken down by Sony:

graf_chokolo says: SONY took down my GIT repo :-) Who still needs my source code just email me and i will upload it for you :-) Still working on ENCDEC reversing :-) It’s fun :-)

And recently KaKaRoToKS has tweet'ed that he also has gotten a DMCA notice: Looks like github has received DMCA takedown and my repository are now unavailable."

Finally, graf_chokolo posted the following warning to Sony on [Register or Login to view links]'s blog, to quote:

If SONY will continue like this i will upload my IDA database for HV and HV procs :-)

Here is a link to my payload: [Register or Login to view links]

No fear, jack :-) It just motivates me more to continue my reversing :-) It was just my public GIT repo, for making releases :-) Nothing lost :-)

Sony Issues DMCA Takedown Notices, PS3 Hackers Mirror Files

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Isn't GeoHot that anti-pirate dev? Not supporting back ups bla bla, hahaha now see where it got him.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I have a feeling that the Streisand effect is gonna kick in on this, and the keys and mirrors of everything are going to be all over the place.

lol, Sony's beginning to look pretty desperate. I mean seriously, good luck disappearing any file thats been online for over a month nevermind some tools that have been downloaded by thousands of people.

Banned User
    "Trafficking a device that circumvents effective access controls, and/or Trafficking a device that circumvents effective copyright protection measures."

Since when has a few numbers and letters been called a "device"?

I have a few Romanian sites doing nothing. I might start mirroring all these taken down sites there.

If everyone mirrored a taken down site then $ony will have fun trying to censor the internet which they cant. It's a useless fight for them and they will always loose. Why do they even bother? I keep saying they have more money than sense and they are showing it with every move they make.

Sony has also gotten claims against themselves, they're not entirely on the "right" side here either.

Sony will just use their time here, then go back to their offices crying that they spent so much time in that warm court room.

The only thing i find bothering about all of this is that we bragged about more exclusives and we supported the company that gave us this piece of hardware. Most of you say that you wanted to use it as a linux based computer which i have no beef against i wish they kept the feature too.

All i want you to do is imagine u investing millions of dollars behind a piece of hardware that would allow people to play games and you would get SOME of your money back bit by bit based on how many games sold (yes i know that now they make a profit per ps3 sold but that has not always been the case).

Wouldn't you be a bit mad if people started hacking this piece of hardware you created and you could not make money back on it because now people are downloading games off the internet. I also understand some of you are using this for LEGIT HOMEBREW, but i've seen alot more people saying how can i play a game from my hard drive without even thinking about playing homebrew or creating it.

I personally will never CFW or even jailbreak my ps3 just so i can support sony and the developers instead of stealing a game and making them lose their jobs.

Dark days indeed. Civil war could be on the brink world wide as is. That state is already bankrupt. When tax payers hear what it will cost to handle this case and its financial fallout, they will be pissed! It wont take long to Make the taxpayers mad when they find out what the case is really about. Then they will realize that not only are they paying for this whole hoax, but in fact will loose yet another hard earned civil right to a conglomerate that seeks total dominion over everyone's property that they purchased.

(1) Do you have any consumer rights anymore?
    (2) Why not try to settle out of court saving all concerned parties the the negative PR and fallout?
    (3) Wont drawing this thing out hurt sales?
    (4) Is it really legal to forcefully remove advertised features from current consoles by means of entrapment or blackmail?
    (5) When the jury here's the words "Multimedia Computer Entertainment System", wont they agree its an owned multi-function Computer and not just a game player, after all "It Only Does Everything". (poor choice of slogan when they consider all the recent removals of key features.)
    (6) Will it even be possible for a California jury to hear the words "Video Game" and take it seriously?
    (7) would it not be a better idea to charge him in his home state where the alleged offense happened?
    (8) Why is all home brew being targeted when the case is really about piracy?

Just trying to understand a hypocritical and incoherent legal dispute with more holes in it than Swiss cheese. People should think carefully about the true implications of this dispute and its aftermath. I only ask the question because no one else has.

Well I know what I'd do with that DMCA letter - WIPE MY ARSE ON IT AND POST IT TO SONY HQ!!!

This is pretty much Sony trying to control WHAT and HOW we play our consoles. Considering Sony make loads of different electronics and have done for yonks, they aren't exactly loosing out because of piracy. How do you think you play your backups? You need to buy a PS3 in the first place!

yeah we may pay that one time price but what about the costs on making the games also? If you don't buy them then how will they make software money back?

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News