Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You know that's BS. The 360 isnt as bad as the PS3 right now.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The Fact of the matter is: as previously stated, people are whiny spoiled brats. Of course you don't wanna spend 60 dollars for a game and such, but you know what, its life! We got to spend money. Many people don't care for Linux running on their PS3, they don't care about Homebrew, all they want is backups.

Yea i do have some backups, but i also support the company who made the console im using. Before running your mouth, think about it thoroughly. I'm neutral one both sides cause i understand the business side of Sony(knowing that your screwed but trying to slow it down), but also i understand The hacking community and how kickass, and generous they are when they release a jailbreak and any apps.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Actually i do the next best thing: I bought a PS3, but USED on Ebay. Then sold it, because there are not any good games for it. 60 Dollars on a game is ridiculous. Also, I bought an Xbox 360 USED. Not only that, anytime i get a game i WAIT until it goes down in price.

Either way, I have not paid Microsoft a nickel, oh yeah I don't even have Xbox Live Gold.

There is ALWAYS ways around the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by afly View Post
    It's not just the pirates. Sony wont like homebrew either. Every man and his dog able to write software for the platform VS compulsory 100,000k developer kits needed.

They need to bite the bullet on this one though, the scene is unstoppable now. Best bet is to try and capitalize and monetize the situation best they can.

Pirates are going to pirate, they should focus on the opportunities this could provide them for the rest.
    What scene? Since GEoHot lost the case, every hacker is going to be scared crapless, and not publish any "hacks" anymore. Unless every hacker in the world, gets together and sues/counter sues Sony. Say goodbye to the PS3 Scene.
    Last edited by nafeasonto; 01-29-2011 at 09:59 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Arrow

Sponsored Links
    Some more graf_chokolo updates: [Register or Login to view links]
    Figured out how to disable HDD encryption permanently by patching HV

Just theory for now, still needs testing Will report back after i tested it.

Holy crap, guys Patched HV at runtime, disabled HDD encryption, rebooted GameOS and GameOS started to format my HDD and i lost all data on my HDD I guess because everything was encrypted and GameOS didn’t understand it because i disabled decryption, so it reformated HDD.

HV reversing is fun

Dumped raw and decrypted UFS2 filesystem of PS3 with HV calls

The difference is that i do not use LV2 at all to decrypt/encrypt storage devices. Storage device encryption/decryption is done by HV and peripheral devices like ENCDEC or RBD. I’m trying to understand how the storage subsystem of HV works currently, it’s by far the most complex part of HV i have seen so far.

And recently i figured out that the VFLASH region, where Linux boot loader (otheros.bld) is stored, is still there on 3.41 firmware. I’m trying now to boot Linux bootloader from this region. OtherOs.self writes otheros.bld image to this VFLASH region and creates cekk_ext_os_area where several parameters are stored. On 3.15 firmware, when Linux was booted, the Linux System Manager (in HV process 9) loads Linux bootloader from the VFLASH region, decompresses it and boots it.

The problem with 3.4.1 firmware is, that SONY removed Linux System Manager from HV process 9. It’s no problem for me to store Linux bootloader on this VFLASH partition. But there are 2 problems, first the VFLASH region where Linux is stored is 040000 bytes large, so there is not much place for Linux bootloader on VFLASH, so it should be compressed to make it smaller. Second problem is, i have to patch HV process, insert my code which loads it from VFLASH and decompresses Linux bootloader. And after that we could boot Linux from HDD and it would have GameOS rights, e.g. has access to Dispatcher Manager e.g.
    or run isolated SPUs.

And more, HV has a nice feature to boot Linux bootloader with System Debugger Too bad i don’t have a debugger for HV

I dumped now both decrypted and encrypted sectors of UFS2. And the same plaintext is encrypted to the same ciphertext Encryption is independent of sector position.

And SONY uses 128-bit block cipher to encrypt the blocks within a sector.

Yeah, it would be possible to redirect dev_flash to another HDD region, e.g. by patching Hypervisor’s storage subsystem. HDD has enough space for that.

And i figured out that the size of VFLASH region where 3.15 stored otheros.bld can be doubled and i will be able to store decompressed Linux bootloader otheros.bld on this VFLASH region It will simplify HV patching immensely, i do not need now to decompress Linux bootloader in HV. I will test it today and report back. There are 02000 extra unused sectors between the VFLASH region for otheros.bld and the next VFLASH region, so i can use those sectors and increase the size of VFLASH region for otheros.bld.

We could make a CFW by patching HV with dual boot option, either GameOS or Linux could be booted from HDD.

It’s not as easy as booting Linux from HDD or booting second lv2 kernel from FLASH. I don’t want to say it’s impossible but it’s very hard.

I updated now my partition table of VFLASH and incresed the size of VFLASH region where Linux bootloader is stored. After that i stored petitboot Linux bootloader on VFLASH successfully. Next step – patching HV at runtime and booting petitboot from HDD which will allow me to install a Linux distribution on a HDD region on my 3.41 PS3.

CORE OS is not on VFLASH, it’s on a real FLASH, NOR flash. That makes it hard to redirect, i would say impossible. But by creating our HV which could switch ISO loaders table and redirecting VFLASH it would be possible to boot 2 different GameOS versions. For that we need our own patched HV.

My approach will enable OtherOS to have the same access rigths as GameOS, it means access to Dispatcher Manager, Update Manager, VFLASH, HDD encryption/decryption, isolated SPUs and RSX of course. GameOS is only good for games, for PS3 development and hacking is Linux or FreeBSD with GameOS rights are a lot better. And i want a clean approach for booting Linux, not like AsbestOS, it’ not very clean.

I have my loader for OtherOS bootloader ready now, will patch HV today and try it out in the evening, after that will report back. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg2010 View Post
    yeah we may pay that one time price but what about the costs on making the games also? If you don't buy them then how will they make software money back?
    See, the thing is that while Sony can and does expect customers to purchase games [which Sony gets royalties for each game], it's completely up to the consumer whether to buy anything.

Selling a product at a loss is a bad business practice, and Sony making the assumption that people buy games to make up for lost revenue is an even greater risk.

Quote Originally Posted by nafeasonto View Post
    GeoHot lost the case, every hacker is going to be scared crapless, and not publish any "hacks" anymore. Unless every hacker in the world, gets together and sues/counter sues Sony. Say goodbye to the PS3 Scene.
    I'd like to tell you that the trial hasn't even started. He is still in the process of litigation, which hasn't even progressed to trial. There is still time.
    Last edited by kally12; 01-29-2011 at 11:10 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Personally right now Graf_Chokolo is one of the biggest scene devs and he is still going strong which basically says screw you sony and screw the DMCA which is what should be done by all the devs.

kally12 i completely understand that sony gets royalties for each game sold I'm just saying that if a great game does not sell well (gets pirated way too much like the psp I've played some great games on the psp) the support for the console and company that made the game goes down and everyone loses. I know I'm not going to be able to stop pirates because they think screwing people out of their jobs so they can save a few bucks is worth it but it doesn't hurt to try to get them to realize it right?

Might not stop the mirrors but Sony will still run people through the court room ringer. That won't be pretty.

Unless it's game devs trying to make some cash along the way. The problem he could face is being take to court. The problem all this has for Geohot is is does nothing to support him and only supports Sony's side probably why they still got the TRO as a large part of this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't blabed about hacking the PS3 and then releasing the key etc.

He's only 21 so he wouldn't have much clue how screwed he is really and his lawyer is probably some hick town freebie lawyer who knows next to nothing about these cases. but what people don't understand overall is even if they don't live in the USA Sony could still sue them in the USA and just hand those people a subpoena and goto court and if those people don't turn up the court would have to do a warrant for that person and have the police in country they are in arrest them and have them transferred to the USA for the court case.

That would take a few years but is doable and wouldn't that be a major mess around for those people. Which is the overall point of these court cases Sony can change the hardware and software easy, the PS3 won't be the same by the end of this year.

Though these people who end up with a subpoena will still be sued and will end up paying fines and maybe do some jail time as well or instead of paying the court fine. Like whats happening to Geohot right now, people can say anything they like, do anything they like but it won't stop the court case from happening.
    Last edited by zagan; 01-30-2011 at 12:12 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

How much is the t-shirt and where can we buy them.

Exclamation

Another update, Sony has now contacted Gitorious and removed the mirrors there as well: [Register or Login to view links]

From drizzt84: [Register or Login to view links]
    UPDATE Sony sent a notice to Gitorious too and they removed my Gitorious repositories with the following email:

Greetings,

We're writing you to inform you that we have been forced to remove
    your Gitorious repositories containing PS3 related code. We received a
    DMCA takedown notice from Sony this morning, and Norwegian law
    commands us to respond to such a notice by removing potentially
    infringing content until it's legality can be fully clarified.

If you can provide Gitorious with irrefutable evidence that this code
    is not violating neither Sony's copyrights/patents nor Norwegian law,
    you are welcome to keep hosting the affected repositories with us.
    From KaKaRoToKS: twitlonger.com/show/8ib1um
    You say "If you can provide Gitorious with irrefutable evidence that this code is not violating neither Sony's copyrights/patents nor Norwegian law".

We cannot refute a negative, they should be the ones to give evidence that the code is violating their copyright by pinpointing specific lines of code with specific laws. Without any details on what exactly is infringing, we have no way of refuting anything.

They should give exact projects, exact filenames and exact lines of code that are infringing, as well as the exact copyrights/laws that are being infringed. Without that information, we cannot defend ourselves, we cannot simply start guessing and mount a case to defend every single line.
    For now, it all seems to be 'we don't like these projects, remove them and we'll use DMCA as an excuse'.

The only proof we can give at this point is : Their entire PS3 system is closed source, there never was any leak of any of their source code, so we couldn't have copied any of their copyrighted source. Also, we are not distributing any binaries from their system.
    What else do you require ?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News