Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

But tell me, why does it matter if you get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by deanrr View Post
    Actually you can simply do FULL SYSTEM RESTORE which will bring your console in original state with no traces of software/games whatsoever. Then update to 3.50 and have fun.
    While I realise this is possible the problem is if Sony is going to issue a banhammer for consoles that have sent information to their servers while jailbroken with backup manager then I'm in trouble. While trying to network my console to my computer i accidently had it online and bam, my info has been sent.

If I update to 3.50 even with a clean drive they will still have my PSID having used backup manager and could place me in a ban wave. Then i'm stuck with a console that can't be jailbroken and can't go online. At this stage it looks like i have to spend $500USD for a new console.. yes that is the price for one here in Australia... ridiculous! I'm holding off to see what happens but I do miss playing online.

The question I would like to see answered is what exactly is being sent. Is it just a game list and other annonymous information or is our PSID being sent with it, clearly identifying the console. If there is no PSID being sent then it should be safe to update.
    Last edited by WKL; 10-16-2010 at 09:42 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

At this point I don't think anyone can absolutely say what it being sent back to Sony (or what info Sony actually keeps) because there are various encrypted connections (SSL) which according to my logs often vary in size each time they are sent. These connections could contain something (or nothing) incriminating.

If we could intercept this data before it is encrypted (ie: before it hits the SSL library) then we might get some answers.

Lately, I change all homebrew title ID's to those of a known game so my pushlists no longer contain ABCD12345, etc. but like many people in the beginning I didn't do this and my logs probably did get sent with homebrew ID's.. But I guess we'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by d3adliner View Post
    This entire thing is blown out of proportion. Banhammer? When we can't get online anyway? Ban from game updates? Then just install them as pkgs.

Problem solved.
    Where do you get these pkgs? I'm interested. I'm really looking for roster updates for nhl11. To be honest, I'm not really sure why it's essential to update any games, but some guidance to updating through pkgs (and where to get them) is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by neophyte5001 View Post
    You don't even have to be on PSN for the ps3 to attempt these connections. If you have it online even if only to update a game it makes these connections apparently. I couldn't get these onto my routers domain blacklist fast enough
    Could you explain how to do this with a linksys router. I can't figure out how to block anything other than numeric ports.

I can't fit the addresses into the "Website Blocking by URL address" windows. Those windows seem to restrict the number of characters you can type in there. So in some instances I try to copy and paste (or even type) in the words "xxxxx.playstation.net" but I can only fit "xxxxx.playstatio" I'm sure this would prove ineffective. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Robbieballs; 10-17-2010 at 01:02 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by d3adliner View Post
    But tell me, why does it matter if you get banned?
    What about because:

1. You might want to update your PS3 on the future and use it online again
    2. You might want to sell your PS3 in the future and somene else would like to update / use it online
    3. There might be way to go online or JB the higher FWs later on
    4. You might (or plan to) have multiply PS3 and as your JB-en PS3 is linked to your PSN ID(s) having it banned can ban your PSN ID(s) on all other PS3s as well losing hence all the paid for PSN content
    5. Sony could even start activelly looking up the users using JB and try to sue them etc. (although I doubt that but you never know).

So - if you don't care of any of above - then go ahead and have your fun.

GrandpaHomer: Does it completely prevent your PS3 from phoning home if you change the DNS values in your PS3's network settings to something random like 1.1.1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by YadoMan View Post
    GrandpaHomer: Does it completely prevent your PS3 from phoning home if you change the DNS values in your PS3's network settings to something random like 1.1.1.1?
    This would be correct in case PS3 / Sony always uses the URLs / web addresses to "call home" rather then directly fixed IPs (which I believe is the case so far). If you want be even more secure, set the Default gateway to some invalid IP as well but then most probably you'll be not able to use it even internally for ftp transfers or media streaming - just try it and you'll see. As an alternative to setting invalid DNS / Gateway simply set your PS3 with fix IP address (which you probably have already anyway) and then block this address from accessing internet completely in your router.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    set the Default gateway to some invalid IP as well but then most probably you'll be not able to use it even internally for ftp transfers or media streaming
    Wrong gateway doesn't give you a problem in local network. I highly recommend put wrong gateway instead of dns change.

Look, if you really want to worry... Sony have a list of IP address that have called home, with potentially the datas you have mentioned... IP addresses = Real name and address from your local ISP... = Court action.

Yes, unless you completely disconnect the PS3 from accessing the internet, it is possible SONY could track you down via your IP/ISP and prosecute you for bypassing thier security.

BUT... Have they done so for the PSP? Have MS done so for the XBOX 360?

Look, there is no point in getting concerned about what they could do... YOU made the first move in ordering a JB device...

Personally, I hope Sony manage to tighten the security on 3.50+.... BUT.... I hope the scene manage to create an emulation or Virtual Machine that can load higher firmware onto a 3.41 base so that existing JBers can continue to benefit.

3.41 for life.

Quote Originally Posted by dvbtr View Post
    Wrong gateway doesn't give you a problem in local network. I highly recommend put wrong gateway instead of dns change.
    This is indeed the case if you have just one subnet at home - which of course would be majority of the users - while there are still people using multiply ranges for security reasons or simply to separate different devices etc. And I'd say rather set incorrect Gateway in addition to fake DNS than instead as there is no point to have correct DNS anyway and just in case PS3 will "somehow" still find it's way outside it will at least have no access to the DNS

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast