Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

sony must have wasted a lot of money on this so i'm glad of that..

I don't think most realize that the ones with the actual skills/talent needed for PS3 3.56+ hacking are neither working on it nor plan to in the future.

How people conjure up the idea that everyone is 'going back to work' when all the real talents are working on other projects now and boycotting anything SCE is beyond me..
    Last edited by xrayglasses; 04-12-2011 at 06:22 AM

i truly can't understand people HATING TO DEATH Sony because they "secure" or "protect" their interests.. "sony boycot" page, seriously, get a life, or at least something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by beansta View Post
    wait a min... i thought SCEA didn't exist anymore? isn't it SNEA now?
    *hint*

Why do you think they changed it in the first place? OtherOS = Sony COMPUTER Entertainment of America. PSN = Sony NETWORK Entertainment of America. Sony switched their legal attack around to screw geohot; badly too. Corporations ALWAYS get away; always. Look at BP...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverin0 View Post
    i truly can't understand people HATING TO DEATH Sony because they "secure" or "protect" their interests.. "sony boycot" page, seriously, get a life, or at least something to do.
    Well, this is how it goes. My console bought with my money. Sony can only do as much as cut off psn. I can mod this device in usb slots, hack it, break it or do whatever i want. And this is called customer's rights. And George Hotz was fighting and will be fighting for the rights.

what a sell out, Geohots vowed he would never cave in to sony, asked for money to his legal fund to be able to fight sony, recieved a shed load (even i gave a tenner) and then he bends over.

his surrender has set a serously bad precedent and the right to use our property how we wish (you don't rent a ps3 you buy it) has been seriously put at risk. SHAME ON YOU GEOHOT SHAME!

Anonymous Unimpressed with Sony-GeoHot Settlement

Well when it comes down the life things don't go as planned lol, hope to find out what the settlement was though.

Famed Playstation 3 hacker Geohot may have settled his outstanding legal issues with Sony, but cyber activists associated with Anonymous remain unimpressed with the deal.

Nevertheless, the group recently decided to halt all DDoS attacks against the Japanese-based corporation, as the impact of such an operation has apparently "surpassed" its peak.

Anonymous unimpressed by Geohot settlement"In the eyes of the law, this case is over. We disagree. We believe Sony's actions in this case are unjust. We do not agree with Sony forcing social media sites like Youtube to hand over the IP addresses of people who viewed GeoHots videos. We view this as a severe violation of privacy rights," Anonymous explained in a communiqué.

"We disagree with Sony forcefully gathering personal information from other companies like PayPal. We find it unacceptable that Sony is even permitted to request this information in the first place. These acts are completely disrespectful and unforgivable."

According to Anonymous, Sony's actions have "far-reaching" implications for every individual who has purchased a piece of equipment - regardless of the manufacturer.

"The current solution will only embolden other greedy corporations to employ similar unfair tactics, so it is necessary to continue our protest to make our voices heard.

"Where the judicial system has failed, Anonymous will persevere, by standing up for the rights of everyone, not just those who dared to challenge these corporations. Geohots' belief was in the freedom of information dissemination. We will stand with him."

As such, Anonymous has designated April 16th as a day to protest against Sony "in the streets."

"We encourage anyone who is able to come to a nearby Sony Store to support the cause, even if you are not usually involved with Anonymous. This is not just about Anonymous - this is about your rights.

"If you wish to attend, be sure to check on your local laws and regulations regarding hiding your face during protests and, if allowed, cover your face, whether it is the usual Guy Fawkes masks or some other form of facial covering. Let us show Sony that all information is free and that we own the things we buy, now and forever. "

From: http://www.tgdaily.com/security-features/55328-anonymous-unimpressed-by-sony-geohot-settlement
    Last edited by NTA; 04-12-2011 at 05:53 PM

Arrow

At least GeoHot kept his word and sent the remainder of what was given to him to the EFF: geohotgotsued.blogspot.com/2011/04/10000-to-eff.html
    As promised, all left over legal defense money, plus a little to bump it to a nice number, has been sent to the EFF. Thank you all so much for your support, without it, things could have been much worse.

This money goes to the EFF in hopes that America can one day again be a shining example of freedom, free of the DMCA and ACTA, and that private interest will never trump the ideas laid out in the constitution of privacy, ownership, and free speech.

At the end of the day, something I take comfort in. The PS3 got OWNED.
    "Once the code works they'll never be able to take it away from us."

Will you be continuing your work on Sony products anonymously?
    Nah. As much as I don't respect the goons at Sony, I do respect the court.

Will future research on Sony products be chilled?
    Nah. If you piss them off enough for them to pull out the legal team and their million dollar checkbook, worst thing that happens is you have to super swear to never do it again.

Will Sony do a better job with security next time?
    LOL, I think they'll do a lot worse. It wouldn't surprise me if the people who did PS3 security were fired. And I'm curious as to who Sony is hiring for NGP security. Lawyers? Get the code to sign a contract that it won't have exploits? You shouldn't piss off the community of people who are actually talented at this stuff. Hell, maybe you even pissed off your engineering employees enough to leave some nice backdoors?
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123