Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Sony to Remotely Disable JailBroken PS3s, PSN Bans?

Sponsored Links
    Today JoyStiq (linked above) speculates that based on both a [Register or Login to view links] by Mr_Brit and a [Register or Login to view links] report Sony may be planning to remotely disable JailBroken PS3 consoles essentially banning them from PSN.

To quote: "Even if you've never signed up for a PSN account, your console will communicate with Sony servers every time it boots up.

That initial load process is used to upload error logs, download updates to the "What's New" module, and a list of recently-run applications, including any unauthorized backup manager software.

Sony has yet to ban any consoles for taking advantage of the jailbreak, but the terms and conditions of the PlayStation Network make it clear that Sony has the authority to carry them out.

Thanks to the system's constant self-reporting feature, "the company even has the means to irrevocably disable your console should it so wish," rendering affected PS3 consoles unusable, online and off. But will Sony ever use such a drastic measure? And if so, how will the hacker scene retaliate?"

From NeoGAF, to quote: "On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.
    Code:
    fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
    mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
    nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
    nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
    (main file exchange connections)
    us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
    ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
    dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
    auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
    (destination servers)
    service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
    (Error Reporting)
    creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)
    Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

Surprising absolutely noone it looks like Sony are detecting homebrew applications meaning that everyone who went on PSN with a jailbroken console can expect to be banned eventually. This is definitely not the only way that Sony can detect jailbroken systems so we'll never truly ever know if it's going to be safe to go online. That ban may come tommorow or it may come in 6 months time but it will almost certainly eventually come."

Rumor: Sony to Remotely Disable JailBroken PS3s, PSN Bans?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the news ultrachez and +Rep!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    So Sony can disable my console without my permission?

Are they are aware that in many countries that, regardless of any licence agreement, the deliberate act of disabling computer hardware through the use of software is legally deemed as hacking and therefore unlawful.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Easy fix: remove your internet connection. Tada, Sony can no longer do anything of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouduk View Post
    So Sony can disable my console without my permission?

Are they are aware that in many countries that, regardless of any licence agreement, the deliberate act of disabling computer hardware through the use of software is legally deemed as hacking and therefore unlawful.
    Utter Nonsense. they aren't disabling anything, PSN is Sony's property and they don't have to guarantee access they can kill it whenever they like for whatever reason they like.

So does this mean that if your PS3 was connected to the internet in the past then you are a target, or are they talking about sony collecting this info starting now?

He wasn't talking about PSN, he was talking about the entire console being disabled.

If Sony have ANY common sense they won't do this... the backlash would be severe. Not to mention it would eventually be reversed. But then again I've seen no signs of common sense from Sony in a long time, they'd rather put their resources into playing cat and mouse rather than putting them to good use.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 01-11-2011 at 11:43 PM

But this isn't talking about disabling PSN access that's perfectly fine but this is stating sony can disable your PS3 outright so you couldn't use it for anything, even offline. That is as far as I know illegal.

True disable PSN acces is within their rights. But disabling your ps3 hardware is a tough cookie

Be smart people. It is, scientifically speaking, impossible for them to do anything without an internet connection. Unplug the cable or disable the wireless and suddenly Sony can't even tell your PS3 exists anymore.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News