Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernaner28 View Post
    Could someone explain in two or 3 lines what is this? And what it is for?
    Pretty sure it's a device that will intercept bluray disc drive operations from the PS3 to allow you run the games off a hdd instead. Seems it will emulate the bd drive and essentially "trick" the ps3 into thinking it's a legit disc being played. That's what I've gathered from it anyways.

Seems this thing could certainly affect the integrity of the PSN. Likely be a slew of online cheating options since the game files will be open to manipulation. Curious how seriously Sony may take this thing, if it indeed comes to be someday.

Quote Originally Posted by moja View Post
    Anyone with technical expertise know if it would be possible for Sony to release an update that changes the working drive key to render this useless?
    Guessing there will be protection in place to stop Sony from it, but, likely they will be able to detect it this way too. Likely too early to tell though. Nobody really knows much about this thing from what I've read. I would imagine Sony has access to flash the drives under normal conditions in the PS3 as does MS in the 360. Curious to see what comes of this myself though.
    Last edited by derceto; 10-10-2012 at 08:56 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    PS3Key is more likely will emulate BD Drive it self through hardware than software, but of course this one is more likely for backup loading only, I wonder if there's a way for homebrew loading.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thank you so much for your replies guys. Well then, it's amazing news! I guess even more than a CFW... I would definitely get this hardware hack

This news sure thrills me far more than some dongle/disc with a void sentence!

Let's see what this becomes in the future days!

if they can emulate the BDROM surely they can make a hacked flash for the drive just like 360...

It's a way to connect a USB HDD to the PS3 and play games from that USB HDD on any firmware.

The problem I see is getting that BDkey. I have a PS3 that came with 4.21 so it cant be downgraded so how will that get the key? There has to be another way then it'll be great. And as long as $ony cant detect it. The Xbox360 has one of these too and it can be detected and was disabled via a firmware update.

will this mean we all have to change the CFW 3.55 eboots to the original ones to play the games on HDD With the Ps3key? It's gonna be a hell of o job to do this

Arrow

Some more details from modrobert: I've just got verified that 3k3y will use the old ISO backup format for games, not the decrypted PSJB format. So we finally get 1:1 game dumps again, great news for the release groups.

Using PS3 Linux the games can be dumped with the following command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=game.iso
    As it was done years before PSJB (first USB dongle) was introduced. Video will be released on Saturday or Monday.

From Mistawes comes a (slightly related) Homebrew from BD on PS3 video:

From deank (via ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/4969-UPDATED?p=53872#post53872): You can also dump discs to ISO format in multiMAN (since version 02.07.00) when you enable Direct-Disc-Access-Mode (DDAM). It will create the same 1:1 encrypted ISO as what you get in linux or on the PC with blu-ray drive.

Are you sure that the ISOs will be 1:1 sector copies (ENCRYPTED). Because it is possible to have it in ISO, but already decrypted.

In the second case I see no reason why homebrew apps won't work You can always re-package a homebrew in disc format. Homebrew apps will need some tweaks and changes, but basically all of them can be converted to ISO.

It doesn't matter what the PS3 supports. The ODD software handles the external HDD file system and it can be ntfs, ext or whatever they decided to support.

Why would you have to resign everything? You can play the disc with Assassin's Creed 1 on firmwares 1.90-4.30 can't you and it is signed with known older keys. There are tools (like make_self) which in their latest versions produce 1:1 self files as if signed by Sony itself.

That's why I see no reason why a homebrew (Showtime or Retroarch) won't work - that is if ODDE supports decrypted ISOs. If it requires ISOs which still have the disc-layer-encryption then I'm not sure... Right, for it to work you'll need the key to create authenticated discs (just like the key found in ps3gen dll for masterdisc encryption). Then you create an ISO and it will work with 3k3y.

The decryption of the encrypted sectors (the disc-layer-protection) is handled by the BD-ROM drive after the disc is authenticated, so I guess it is possible to spoof some of the atapi communication so you can read from a plain (non-encrypted) ISO. Just my 2 cents...

The fact remains that you have to dump your original game disc to 1:1 ISO.... I don't have a BD-ROM drive in my PCs, so how can I do that? I'm on 3.55 so I can dump my current discs, but later on it won't be possible. (Buy a BD-ROM drive, Dean! Really.).

Basically it is a good thing since you can play all the games you bought after you rip them to ISO (no piracy here, unless you download ISOs of games you don't actually own). The downside is no homebrew - as simple as that.

Just as a simple POC, here is mM repackaged as PS3 Game Disc (Game):

Download: [Register or Login to view links] (33.27MB) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #2) / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror #3)

multiMAN 04.06.02 [MD].iso is a MasterDisc ISO (encrypted)
    multiMAN 04.06.02.iso is a regular ISO (not encrypted, but may require disc-layer-encryption to be added)

Contents:
    Code:
    \PS3_DISC.SFB

\PS3_UPDATE
    \PS3_UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP

\PS3_GAME
    \PS3_GAME\ICON0.PNG
    \PS3_GAME\PARAM.SFO
    \PS3_GAME\PS3LOGO.DAT

\PS3_GAME\USRDIR
    \PS3_GAME\USRDIR\EBOOT.BIN
    \PS3_GAME\USRDIR\GAMEDATA.DAT
    If you somehow find a way to burn it to a genuine PS3 disc or use another way of redirecting your BD-Drive to an ISO you'll see how it works. It behaves as a regular PS3 game, it doesn't require a previous mM installation (like regular games), installs the 'game data' to the internal hdd and works the same way as if installed as a package/npdrm (.pkg). Tested and works with firmwares which support ISO loading.

It is just a simple proof that any homebrew app can be 'converted' to game-disc version, provided the homebrew authors are interested. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dreekuuh View Post
    will this mean we all have to change the CFW 3.55 eboots to the original ones to play the games on HDD With the Ps3key? It's gonna be a hell of o job to do this
    Thankfully, myself anyways, I've always kept complete clean dumps in a folder. All the updates and patched eboots and stuff I keep separate. Always a good idea to keep clean copies just in case of something like this. However, I'm guessing it won't be very hard to find clean eboots anywhere. Likely see some collection somewhere posting them up.

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    The problem I see is getting that BDkey. I have a PS3 that came with 4.21 so it cant be downgraded so how will that get the key? There has to be another way then it'll be great. And as long as sony cant detect it. The Xbox360 has one of these too and it can be detected and was disabled via a firmware update.
    That's why things like this need to stay private (I think)

Sponsored Links
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast