Sponsored Links
Recently and_fis reports that the PS3 Slim 3K series of PlayStation 3 consoles are surfacing on 3.55 Custom Firmware (CFW), leading to speculation of a new DRM-infected JailBreak Software Tanpa dongle or service from Indonesia.

To quote (via *********.net/forum/threads/5321-3K?p=58294&viewfull=1#post58294) on the (tokoteknologi.com/home/browse/25-consolemesin.html?sef=hc):

For some Indonesian rupies according to the site above you can purchase A 3K console with a Seri CFW 3.55 (RFW Version) installed! Which also comes with a JAILBREAK SOFTWARE TANPA DONGLE as they call it... If this site is real then someone has found a new exploit that allows 300X version ps3 consoles to downgrade to 3.55 cfw. They have also locked this to a new drm dongle... Let the games begin again!

Rp 3.700.000,00 or about $320 usa, for a base model 160 gb ps3

The only way this would be possiable is if they used hardware to somehow reflash the syscon. that is where the hash checks are that determine the lowest firmware you can have...or they were able to use a hardware flasher and a cfw that had all the hash checks removed.

Or changed and reflashed a cfw that the ps3 "thought" was the right firmware... IDK there is nothing on wiki about either processes

From Abkarino: I know this seller and i talked with him and have a deal 1 and half month ago, they offer me a pre-moded 3K console and they does not sell the modchip/method used to do that. Also he claim that this console uses a special modified CFW based on Rogero CFW.

Also they had used some kind of modchip/flasher to do that. Also he told me that there is a modchip under development for hacking 3K console and it must be released around this month, but till now no new news from him.

From and_fis: I found this info (lan.st/showthread.php?t=3313&page=2) from back in 2010 when 3.41 had alot of access and workings... So if it is true that syscon can be written to with a pkg BUT, it would have to be offically signed or a hardware flasher of some sorts would have to be used if a pkg could not. So in theory, it would be possiable to reflash a syscon from a factory install of 3.60 to 3.55

He is talking about the syscon's eeprom, we can already (at least in private) read and write to it, in fact I am trying to find a way to contact graf_chokolo (he has been absent from irc lately) since he seems somewhat interested in it, at worse I'll add this the wiki's private sections. The syscon's eeprom doesn't seem to be touched on a debug console though, I dumped mine on 3.41, then downgraded to 3.40 and it was still untouched.

I don't know about retail though, I only have one and it's already on 3.41 so I rather not touch it, but I didn't see anything that looks like hashes. Flags are there though. (like the product mode flag, QA flag, debug support flag etc etc...) There are also factory informations stored in there (such as the first firmware flashed at factory) but no hash that I could see, though maybe I overlooked something.

Of course the bootloader wouldn't be in any eeprom, lv0 probably starts and talks to syscon through a vuart in order to read the eeprom content (if the hashes are there) and look at the hashes (to compare them to the digests from the other coreos selfs)
Thanks Abkarino I posted this at the same time you did.. So my suspicions were true about a hardware flasher.. Thank you for the info

From Abkarino: Yea may be they had found a way to reprogram Syscon EEPROM may be they had used an SPI Flasher since SysCon conect to Cell/BE using SPI Bus. I think that they had used a hardware method not a software (sure if this is legit and not a fake, until some one get this console and confirm this news).